Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

Discussion in 'News & Rumours' started by Thekingin64, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hutch

Hutch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Yeah, like I said, I thought it was a full replacement of the layout so counting it as a second cred was a no brainer to me. If it's true that the launch and station tracks were kept, that makes things slightly awkward. I'll keep it though. I've had it counted for over a year now, and it sounds like at least 90% of the layout was replaced, that should be good enough anyway.

Matt N likes this.
  2. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Coaster-count does list the Hulks and Pythons separate, but it does it in the same way as a relocated ride (so its a "duplicate" in coaster-count terms) - thus it does not count towards your count even though you can record riding it ; look at your ride sequence and the number will be missing against it.

FWIW: I think those 2 are the same, need to see how Colossos ends up before being sure, but it looks like its going to the same to me too.
    How does BuzzSaw Falls/Powder Keg stack up then* ; coaster-count has them distinct, yet RCDB lists it only as one with 'significant' modifications? ;)

(* here's a clue : its the same setup on coaster-count compared to rcdb as with Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge)

Matt N likes this.
  3. Cranedude

Cranedude Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Spite-ning Rod
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    This quickly turned from Colossos retracking updates to an argument about if retrackings are new credits.

Yay.

4. tomahawk

tomahawk Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    Alright, so would you consider the space mountain at Disneyland a new cred since it was completely torn out in 2005 and replaced?

I had heard they did replace the launch track, but the station was the only tracked that stayed. It doesn't matter to me as I never got V1, but I would count it as a separate cred.

When you have banking changes (see Legend and GhostRider) those are not new creds, just simple refurb. Same would apply to SoB no loop. Phantom changed the entire ride, so that would be new.

Let's say TTD added an Xcelerator bit after it's drop instead of straight brakes, that to me would be new as it would be extensive change. A hill like other accelerator would not.

These discussions are fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Coaster Hipster likes this.
  5. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    In times like this, we must refer to the Bible for answers...

And Jesus said to his disciples, who were all cred whoring away at Heide Park, "Come my whore disciples, let us experience the great Colossos, and then we shall tick it off on Coaster-Count." But one whore did not have faith in Jesus' teachings, and his name was Judas. "Tell me Jesus, I have experienced the Colossos once before, and yet I believe it to be a new ride. May I still count it as a new cred?" Jesus looked at Judas calmly. "No Judas, for the soul of the great Colossos remains the same." Judas frowned, and asked "And what about Desert Race, does that still count if I've already ridden the great Rita of Alton Towers?" Jesus again responded calmly, "Let's not go into that now, and anyway don't bother with Desert Race, Colossos :emoji_poop:s all over it." Judas hung his head in shame. "Sorry Jesus", he said. "That's okay Judas", responded Jesus, "Just make sure you never betray me again."

Corinthians 5.15

6. Luca B

Luca B Member

Best Coaster:
    Schwur Des Kärnan
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    I rode in May 2016 just a few weeks before it closed and it was one of the roughest coasters I have ridden, the airtime was great, but it just gave me a massive headache. The helix was the worst part as my legs slammed against the restraints, giving me bruises. The ride definitely has potential to be one of the best in Europe though.

FistedColossus likes this.
  7. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    [​IMG]
    So last Friday via a short lights, audio and projection show Heide Park announced "Colossos - Kampf der Giganten" (battle of the giants).
    While the new name subtitle and logo were nothing new to us, having been trademarked months ago (which has resulted a some fan complaints that this was a pointless PR stunt and a waste of money for a park hit with many budget cuts in recent years), the park did actually reveal the coaster's new backstory.

"A dark power has been sleeping under Colossos for 3 years, but now Colossos will no longer be dormant, so the dark power is fighting back and trying to destroy it."
    The video shows tree roots bursting out of the ground attempting to engulf Colossos' structure - which explains the tree like theming structures around the final bunny hills.
    So the 'battle of the giants' is referring to Colossos itself, vs the dark power.

The park also confirmed they will not have the coaster finished in time for the originally announced opening at the start of the 2019 season, but they still hope it will be during Spring.

Robert.W and Matt N like this.
  8. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

"Dark power"? Great euphemism for wood-eating fungi. If I ever get a chance to use it in a professional capacity, I will.

"Your house is being consumed by a dark power from within. And by that, I mean you were too stingy with the plumbing when you had your upstairs bathroom redone five years ago, so this wall won't stay load-bearing for much longer."

9. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Just to clarify for the less cultured among us, that 'Ship of Theseus paradox' that @EndlessWire picked up on earlier, is that the same principle as Trigger's broom?

EndlessWire likes this.
  10. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Administrator Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Yes. Exactly the same. ;)

EndlessWire likes this.
  11. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    ^Fank uuu :)

EndlessWire and Hixee like this.
  12. FistedColossus

FistedColossus Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Universal IOA
    Dark Power haha.

Merlin have finally resorted to theming their excuses for incompetence.

13. spicy

spicy Well-Known Member

Unlike Merlin to go for a dark theme...

I like the the way they have announced it though... Look forward to Wickerman's inevitable reopening announcement in 15 years time ;)

14. NeoXIII

NeoXIII Best Newcomer 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    How do I feel this needs to be cross posted to "WTF Merlin"...

Zek_Teh_Kek likes this.
  15. Fluorineer

Fluorineer Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Toverland
    Coaster Count:
    I don't know, I think this is not that bad. Before this, Colossos was themed to itself: it was a large thing with a name that meant "large thing". This has a little bit more depth to it, and a woodie really doesn't need all that much. Especially a 52m tall Intamin Woodie, I would still sell my grandma if it increased the chance of more parks acquiring one of these beasts.

With all the things that are horribly wrong about Merlin's integrity and philosophy as a business, I think we can forget that for a while since the new Colossos is starting to materialize. I'm eager to see what the end result will look like, and once it's opened, we're like 99% certain to go back to Merlin bashing because that's when it gets to Merlin's biggest weakness: day-to-day operations.

Robert.W, Jared and CSLKennyNI like this.
  16. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Ledgers for the new transfer track have been completed.
    [​IMG]
    Work continues on the new large theming element.
    [​IMG]
    Tree roots sticking out from the tarpaulins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source

Matt N, Pear and Robert.W like this.
  17. Pear

Pear Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
  18. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    What did I just waste 4 minutes of my life watching...

Robert.W likes this.
  19. caffeine_demon

caffeine_demon Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    skyrush
    Best Park:
    Europa

I rode it on two occasions - 1st time on the euro live back in 2008ish, had one ride at the end of the day, after it had been out of action all day - loved it

2nd time was about 4 years ago - had a two day visit, it was down the first day, and running the second - got several rides - still loved it.

Prefer it to el toro - it's just fun!

FistedColossus likes this.
  20. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    That was a great couple of days! The anxiety was real though :eek:
    Toro's better but them's the onions.