What's new

Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo (Studio Ghibli Films)

bob_3_

Giga Poster
LOOOOVVVE this guy's films. I've heard alot of people dissing Disney touching them, but I don't mind, I think they do a good job.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_LH6C_uXis[/youtube]

It is marketed as a kid's film, but usually when they do this, the film is alot darker than you expect. Spirited Away was pretty scary at times. This may be a little more light hearted, but all-in-all I think it'll be great.

Best Studio Ghibli film I've seen is probably Laputa: Castle In The Sky, but I still have quite a few to get through.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nice to see traditional animation for a change. I just hope they don't fall for the old "3D crap trap" :)

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ Disney's actually releasing a traditionally animated film later this year. After the non-pixar 3d films never did well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxPhFXVSAGs[/youtube]

It's like a youtube fest in 'ere.

tks

Strata Poster
Oooo YAY. I was watching My Neighbour Totoro last night. Might go out and get a couple more to add to my collection.. I have about 6/7 films now I think.

And a non pixar film? :D YES. I only like two of their films, A Bugs Life and Nemo. Everything else has been drivel.

peep

CF Legend
^Howl's moving castle is weird but awesome.

Also an interesting fact for you Ghibli fans. We would've never heard of any of the Ghibli films if it wasn't for Disney distributing their films outside of Japan :D

A

Anonymous

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is still my favorite Miyazaki film, this one seems a bit more childish but I will still watch it when ever I get the chance of doing it...

But yeah, Hayao Miyazaki is way better then any recent Disney film...

kimahri

CF Legend
Ponyo must only be watch in japanese.

The english version has been tainted by the Jonas brothers disease.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Princess and the Frog was created due to Pixar: Lasseter wanted to re-open the 2D section of Disney (after Pixar was bought by them) after it was closed due to the rise of 3D being brought in/concentrated on.

It's the start of a new series of traditionally animated films, and it looks really quite excellent for all the reasons Pixar films are excellent. Also, all the recent English dubs of Miyazaki's films have been produced by Lasseter, which is why they're actually pretty decent.

Mm, animation <3

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Ponyo is an absolutely immense film! It's very VERY strange (as with every other Miyazaki film), and is generally a very similar film to My Neighbour Totoro, rather than the Princess Mononoke type.

Once again, I feel strong environmental issues coming through in this film, and there are probably more of these types of messages in this film.

I feel that translating any of these films into English spoils it a bit, as the translations are never perfect, and sometimes way off.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing Ponyo in English as well, to see how far off the translation gets! :p

I give Ponyo 9/10 :--D

I wonder if there'll ever be a Miyazaki Theme Park? :?

Nicky

Hyper Poster
I watched Spirited Away in English due to the fact we were doing media and film and the extras included a storyboard version of the beginning. I bought the film and loved it. While I tend to watch it in English as I find that I get distracted by the subtitles, the Japanese language version is better.

I got to see Howl's Moving Castle in the cinema in Manchester and loved that too even if it does seem to be really long sometimes.

A

Anonymous

Watched Ponyo a few nights ago, and it's pretty much like all other Miyazaki movies, pure awesomeness!!

A really nice and friendly story and actually fits the whole family. Go watch it!!

RCF

Strata Poster
I saw this last night! Awesomest movie ever because of an inside joke but it wasn't that bad actually. Good for the whole family.