What's new

Gymnastics

A

Anonymous

I just wanted to know if any forum members here were interested in the sport of gymnastics. I wish it gained more recognition because i think it is one of the most difficult sports possible and i wish people would understand it basically.

Ollie

CF Legend
I used to do it alot when I was small. Then I did it again in secondary school and finally got to do some amazing stuff such as front/back flips. Hand springs, somersaults over boxes and pretty cool stuff. :)

*I assume that's the Gymnastics you're on about?*

A

Anonymous

Yep thats the gymnastics im on about! Yes i have been doing it now for around 10 years. Im still loving it, especially the thrill of flying through the air, you cant get that adrenalin anywhere else :--D .......oh ye apart from theme parks of course.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah, It is a great feeling when you just throw your body through flips etc. I still remember the first time I went to try a backflip I was ****ting myself. I have the fear that I'm going to land on my neck or something. I've done it a couple of times, and on the trampoline but I'm scared again to try lol. I find front flips easier no matter what people say. :p

Same happened with doing handsprings over a box for the first time. I have crap upper body strength and thought my arms would give way half way through. I tried it though and I nailed it perfectly first go and every go after that. :D

I haven't done it for a while though. I haven't got the chance to do anything while I'm at college and there's no clubs near me that do that sort of thing. At least I've still got my 14ft trampoline in the garden to have fun on. :)

A

Anonymous

Yeah after a while when you succesfully land them the feat starts to go! I find front flips are much more technically hard to land than backflips but both are as easy as each other now haha. I've just realised your from Hampshire and so am i. What club did you ued to go to then?

jayjay

Giga Poster
The closest I've ever been to doing real gymnastics is basic vaulting. I've never been able to do anything like flips.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't see the point in it. If you're going to cross that mat, you can as well walk, instead of trying to risk your spine by doing it some complicated way that make you look half... (this sentence can't be finished without being quite an insult, so I'll stop it there)
We just had in in PE. I didn't bother, gladly accepted bottom marks, didn't do a thing, but also didn't, like many of the others, share a spectacular but painful kiss with the floor.

Bottom line, gymnastics is something I'd never do, even if it was a matter of life and death. Gymnasts usually retire at age 35, either because of wear damage, or bad landings. I have no idea what they do after that, but I suspect PE teacher is a common career choice.

So a huge no from me. Let the ones who like it, do it, but please don't involve the rest of us.

AHAAAAAAAAAAA.

Me+Gymnastics= Death

Never tried it, but judging from how uncoordinated I am with other, easier things.. Definitely not.

Ollie

CF Legend
barnes said:
I've just realised your from Hampshire and so am i. What club did you ued to go to then?
I've only been living here a few year. I only did Gynastic classes when I was living in Surrey and then continued it for a couple of years in Wales. I stopped going when I was about 8 though.
I can do things on trampolines. And give me a trampete(sp?), box and crash mad and I'll go crazy with it.
I can't do things just on the ground though. I wish I could but I can't do it without the aid of something bouncy.

A

Anonymous

Lain said:
Gymnastics is for girls.

Yeah it is for girls and boys. You obviously have no idea about the sport, so your comment is basically just ignorance.

A

Anonymous

I do gymnastics and love it! As barnes said the feeling of adrenaline you get from flipping off and onto things is great and gives me adrenaline fillers when I can't get to a theme park :L

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Aww! I miss Gymnastics soo much! I did it for about 10years and then I just quit for some unknown reason when I was 15. If I had only stayed one more year I could have gone and competed in the Island Games! Bad times! I was best in Wales at one point aswell! Bad times!
But whoever thinks gymnastics is for girls have no idea how much mental and physical strength you need!

A

Anonymous

Mit deLuxe said:
Aww! I miss Gymnastics soo much! I did it for about 10years and then I just quit for some unknown reason when I was 15. If I had only stayed one more year I could have gone and competed in the Island Games! Bad times! I was best in Wales at one point aswell! Bad times!
But whoever thinks gymnastics is for girls have no idea how much mental and physical strength you need!

Agree strongly! The amount of courage and strength you need to perform most skills in gymnastics is a lot, let alone performing them all in a routine.

Richie

Hyper Poster
I used to do gymnastics and trampolining. I didn't do gymnastics for long at all, but I have medals in trampolining, yaaay. I did trampolining for 6 years and quit when I was around 16?

I need to start a sport up again asap because I'm getting so unfit.