What's new

Grona Lund 28/5/13

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Gröna Lund

Park Review: Prior to visiting the park I knew was going to have some good rides, but I thought that because a lot of them are cramped close together that the park itself will have not been that nice. Thankfully I was completely wrong. While as the park did not really have really fantastic theming there was some obvious attempts at theming on all of the rides and buildings which in their own way are quite quirky. While none of the rides are completely amazing there are lots of really good ones which deserve multiple re-rides and should keep you busy for about 6-8 hours depending on how busy the park is. Luckily for us it was very quiet and the longest queues were 20 minutes for Eclipse because it was the new ride and for Fritt fall because they were only running two cars and the staff were particularly lazy and slow, but all the coasters and other rides had almost no queues for the whole day. My 3 favourite rides at the park were Twister, Fritt fall and Jetline. There is really much you can say badly about the park as there is also plenty of places to eat, sit down and to enjoy looking at the fantastic view the park has to offer. Overall the park is just really nice and I am amazed how nice they have made it and how many rides they have got considering the tiny space the park uses. Park Rating: 9/10

Coasters:

Insane: I was not overly impressed with green lantern when I rode it last year, but I was open to the possibility that this might be more insane. I would say that the ride is a bit better than green lantern as I just felt it was a bit more exciting mainly because of its position next to the water. One thing I really wanted prior to going on it was a ride where there was an uneven weight distribution so it would spin faster because I thought that would make the ride more exciting. Unfortunately though when that ride came, I did not enjoy it because at one point my legs were forced against the unforgiving restraint which was pretty painful. I do think it is a really good ride, but the bad restraints let it down. Coaster Rating: 8/10

Vilda Musen: I was looking forward to this ride because the two Gerstlauer bobsleds that I have already ridden were really good especially Klotti coaster and I thought one would be really good because of its unique layout. From offride this coaster does not look very exciting, but onride it is pretty crazy with loads of laterals. It is also very smooth which makes very re-rideable and a fun coaster. It unfortunately does not have the amazing airtime that Klotti coaster has, but I’d say it was a notch above g’sengte sau. It’s a shame so many parks go for the standard wild mouse clones when these are just so much better. Coaster Rating: 8/10

Jetline: I did not think much of the Lisebergbanan when I rode back in 2011, and because this doesn’t have the terrain aspect I thought that this was not going to be particularly good either. However, it turned out to be considerably better than expected. The first drop into the tunnel and the rest of that part of the ride before the first MCBR felt really fast and was the only part of the ride that was even slightly rough. My favourite part of the ride though was the next drop which was a really steep twisting drop which was awesome especially in the back row. After that, the ride proceeds to do a lot of twisting, turning and a few helices, which were okay, but nothing compared to the first part of the ride. Overall, considerably better than the Lisebergbanan and is in great condition for its age. Coaster Rating: 8/10

Twister: This was my first Gravity Group Woodie and it made quite an impression. Firstly, the trains, I actually think they look quite cool and they were very comfortable, but I thought the lap bars were unnecessarily hefty, luckily this did not impede on the ride experience which was great. The ride is just a bundle of tight twists and sudden pops of airtime, the best of which is when you riding at the back and you get yanked down the first drop as that provided amazing ejector airtime. The hill that follows the drop also has great airtime and there are another 4 or 5 sections of decent air. The ride is not rough, but it feels like a wooden coaster which is good as it makes the ride feel faster. The only real negative about this ride is that the pacing isn’t the best because at some points you are going quite slowly, but I think this was hard to avoid for such a small ride on such a small amount of area. Overall, it’s a fab little woodie, that is good in every seat, but best at the back. Coaster rating: 8.5/10

Kvasten: I have never ridden at Vekoma SFC before and this looked like one of the better ones, so while I knew it wasn’t going to be as good as the other coasters I thought it would be interesting. It’s an okay family coaster, it’s pretty gentle and dull for most of it apart from the final helix which is midly intense. The trains, however are really cool and very comfortable and the attempt at theming isn’t bad. I think Vekoma could come up with more exciting layouts for these rides, but still keep them very family friendly. I think the new one at Farup looks considerably better.Coaster Rating: 5.5/10

I kinda forgot about the kiddy coasters, but I wasn’t that bothered about them anyway.

Flat Rides:

Fritt Fall: I love Intamin drop towers and this one was no different. Like apocalypse you choose a stand up option on this one which don’t give the floater feeling you get on the sit down cars, but they are scarier especially this one because it was pretty high and they tilted you forward right at the top. The drop was pretty much as good as any other Intamin tower apart from the one at parque de Atracciones which had particulary good airtime. Flat Ride Rating: Great

Katapulten: This is an S&S combo tower much like cliffhanger at flamingo land. I much prefer the combo towers because they have a longer and more exciting rides than the normal space shot ones you see most of the time. I’d say the actual ride felt the same as cliffhanger, but the view was much better. Flat Ride Rating: Good

Pop Expressen: Definitely the best breakdance I have ridden. It is faster and longer than the ones you get at most parks and the fact it has disco theme with music playing while you’re riding really enhances the experience. All the flashing lights make the ride quite disorientating which I love. Flat Ride Rating: Good/Great

Eclipse: Although it is meant one of the highest star flyers in the world, it didn’t feel as high as I expected it to be, maybe because there was a lot around it and the drop tower is also quite high. There good and exciting rides the first time you ride them, but after that they just aren’t as good and I had that feeling when riding this one. Flat Ride Rating: Okay/Good

Ride Count:

Insane: 5
Vilda Musen: 5
Fritt Fall: 5
Jetline: 5
Twister: 6
Katapulten: 2
Kvasten: 1
Pop Expressen: 2
Eclipse: 1

Total: 32