What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

tks

Strata Poster
3 Recent gigs in two weeks. This gets lengthy for the first review...

The Knife and Sorklubben.

So it turns out Sorklubben is a sort of arts-collective put together for this series of "shows" by The Knife. There are two schools of thought about the shows;

1. They were arty bollocks that preyed on the desperation of fans of The Knife to see them perform.
2. They were arty bollocks that cleverly used the desperation of fans of The Knife to see them perform.

I'm torn between the two, although I lean slightly to the latter, why?

So basically The Knife and this collective totalling 9-10 people come on stage in a cloud of smoke, hooded gowns all mysterious, AMAZING we all think as they very slowly slide into the first 'song'. At the next song we realise that the person "singing" has changed, yet it's still Karin's very altered voice and the penny drops. None of this is live. ALL pre-recorded, nobody has a clue who the hell Karin and Olof are out of the 9/10 people on stage but some superfans next to me kept making guesses..

4th song in and the pretense is completely evaporated, they shun the cloaks and appear in metallic jumpsuits, sequined vest tops sweatbands and Nike trainers.. The next 6 songs aren't even an attempt to mime, it's all choreographed dance routines, some of it entertaining but completely baffling.

By the end the audience was split, some people left with faces of thunder, whilst others stayed and carried on dancing in the disco that was the Roundhouse.

The concept behind the show, spreading the idolisation of The Knife between a collective of people. At the end I still had no idea who The Knife were, but I was dancing my ass off with this random woman i'd met about 2 hours earlier.

Examples:
Got 2 Let U - Yeh... Rhythmic Gymnastics, not really what you expect at a gig. One of the "woo's" at the end is me, 2nd row oh yehhhh.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFRoiwdh4M[/youtube]

Silent Shout - They finished on a fantastic song from their last album, lasers, smoke, dancing.
(From the Paris gig but the sound is better than anything from London, the BASS oh my god).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhYuuRoq4o[/youtube]

Bonkers gig.

Oh and the warm up act was an aerobics instructor who was telling everyone to feel their pussy.

Lana del Ray

So Lana del Ray was fab. Very unique voice, better than the fleet of "raspy" singers who plagued british music a couple of years back. She could do without the whole "i'm going to go and take photos with my fans for 15 minutes every show" though. They may buy it, but the people standing beyond 3 rows back certainly don't. At the finale to National Anthem I had time to go get a bag, hop to the loo, come back and she was STILL kissing and hugging fans.

I loved the whole retro "vintage aka old" effect she had going on with some of her videos playing, like she was creating her own history there and then.

942242_627735219160_1171901296_n.jpg

iamamiwhoami

And in TWO days i'm going to see iamamiwhoami :D Hopefully should be as weird and as fantastic as The Knife was.. But 1/4 of the price.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW89Pv8QrX4[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
I went to Download festival the other week. It's the first time I've stayed on site and done the whole 3 days of a big festival. I was so excited and boy it was worth the wait. Loved every minute of it (well, apart from the most horrific hangover I've ever encountered on the Monday morning. Warning to others: Being given everyone's left over cider at the camp site doesn't mean you have to drink it all :p )

So who did I see? Papa Roach - Was looking forward to seeing them but they were awful. Really didn't enjoy their set at all.

Dragonforce - Yeah, they really can't play live.

Europe - Probably the best surprise of the whole weekend. Not only did they finish with 'THAT' song (The final countdown) but their entire set was just fun, energetic and really got the audience going. The lead singer has a fantastic stage presence. I'm almost tempted to get tickets to one of their tour dates.

Bullet for my Vallentine - Not really into their music and as a result I didn't really enjoy their set. There was plenty of fire so that kept me amused throughout.

Slipknot - Really don't like them or their music but the others all wanted to see them. It also started raining about half way through to the point where we left early as we couldn't deal with it anymore.

Turisas - OMFG, they were so awesome live. It's a shame that they only had 30 minutes to showcase some of their very long tracks and that they were delayed as their sound check guy is pedantic. But they were just fantastic and it was great to hear them sound as good as they do on their albums. Totally have tickets to see them in October now XD

Motorhead - Umm, Lemmy needed subtitles lol. It just sounded like "mlmsmmrahahammmmam...Rock'n'ROLL". People seemed to love them but tbh we only wanted to see them because they're are legends and we can now say we've seen them live.

Queens of the Stoneage - Really didn't like their new album so was expecting them to be awful but they were so good, the sun was shining and it just felt really summery and fun. The lead singer (name escapes me) was awesome ("man"), his southern drool amused me. So yeah, just a really great set that just made everyone happy (apart from when they played new stuff) and they had some awesome graphics on their screens.

Enter Shikari - I saw them just after they released their first album and had an awesome time. I'm not sure what's happened but I thought they were awful this time. They seem really set on being 'different' and it just sucks. What didn't suck was their awesome lighting rigs.

Iron Maiden - Just as good as when I last saw them, with maybe too many drawn out instrumentals added to the set. There were also quite a few tracks I didn't really know and some tracks that I love were left out. But still, they started the set by getting the RAF to fly a SPITFIRE over the crowds. OMG, no one else could get away with pulling off such an epic stunt like that <3 They also had several huge Eddies (the mascot character the band uses on everything) which was awesome and there were loads of fireworks/pyrotechnics. Watch the Spitfire go over here

Ghost - Was looking forward to seeing these guys, they look really quirky and cool. Unfortunately they're not very good live and everyone seemed a bit bored.

Airbourne - EVERYONE wanted to see Airbourne and after they finished I totally knew why. Apart from technical difficulties during several songs where we couldn't hear the lead singer they were epic. Really energetic, got the crowd going and just all round awesome.

Thirty seconds to mars - Was well and truly drunk by this point so was pleased to see a sea of inflatables emerge over the crowds at the front. I thought they were actually quite good which was nice because I feared they'd be a band that would suck live. Jared Leto was clearly wasted too and that amused everyone. Oh and he got loads of fans to come up on stage, some fangirls got up and couldn't stop crying (I laughed a lot at this) and some were dressed as minions from Despicable me, we approved <3

Rammstein - The final headliner of the weekend. We managed to get a lot closer than we had braved previously. Before they came out a massive bottle throwing event happened, it was exhilarating. I can't throw very well and got booed lol. Every time someone went along the zipwire all we could see was a mass of plastic bottles trying to hit them, it was amazing to witness. Then Rammstein happened and the place went mental. Happy times indeed. So much fire and bass. *drools* Fireworks shooting over the crowds, 90,000 people singing along in German, just surreal but very awesome. When they finished I just didn't want it to end, it was so sad.

Alas, we went back to the campsite, drank loads more cider, started loads of calls out for Alan (find out why HERE and then slept. Good times.

Below is our camp and our gay flying fish. I called it Kanye because of the South Park spoof years ago WATCH
1019868_10152923046895360_233536775_o.jpg

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
^ that's awesome! I've seen Motörhead twice and I thought they were awesome! Iron Maiden were awesome when I saw them too! Jealous you saw Ghost I love them!

davidm

Strata Poster
Just back from the Smashing Pumpkins in Manchester :--D

Good gig - last saw them a few years ago at the Manc-Arena and that was not very good, too far away and Billy seemed in a bad mood...

This time, much smaller (better) venue and they were right on form.

Crap pic;

600210_10151424774772504_221617011_n.jpg

Setlist.fm if you care

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd have gone just for Ava Adore which I love. The rest of their stuff just doesn't really do anything for me sadly, but I imagine live, in a smaller venue they'd be a decent band to see live anyway.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Bump

Going to see Roger Waters tonight! I can't wait! When I saw him in 2011 David Gilmour and Nick Mason appeared, I wonder if it will happen again?

davidm

Strata Poster
david morton said:
^ me too.
Some pix off my phone, didn't try to take many...

In The Flesh

Another Brick...

Pig (Flying)

Hammer Hammer

Its all made of cardboard

Great spectacle (again), not really much of a "rock gig" anymore though. Rog is showing his age a bit too (can't blame him, he turned 70 the other day).

(Off to the Manchester [strike]gig[/strike] show tomorrow as well)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Going to see letlive in a couple of weeks time, I'm more nervous than anything. A lot of people rank them to be the most intense live band ever, whether they live up to the hype I don't know.

It really depends on what drugs he's taking...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOSH_W9-RY[/youtube]

davidm

Strata Poster
(Off to the Manchester [strike]gig[/strike] show tomorrow as well)
Row 4 tonight ; crowd were a bit more restrained than Saturday (seated rather than standing I guess) but I probably enjoyed this one more than Saturday (significantly less faff involved for me tonight).

Anyhoo, some Comfy Numb;

and that nasty teacher;

etc...

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I'm so jealous, I love CHVRCHES! Their new album just melts me <3

peep

CF Legend
Went to see Turisas earlier with Benin. We both saw them earlier in the year at Download Festival and they were awesome. They were even better tonight. They really interacted with the crowd and due to the small venue it felt really intimate and epic. They also ended with the track that everyone loves...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdkBs0VCSX0[/youtube]

1381888_10153345600780220_828311551_n.jpg

1379705_10153346659480360_874012470_n.jpg

558801_10153346659635360_503113843_n.jpg

1384196_10153346659730360_977774287_n.jpg

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Saw Brit Floyd last week and was disappointed, the mix was all wrong, it was far to quiet and was poor in places. Last night I saw Steve Hackett from Genesis who was fab. Played very early Genesis for over three hours!

nealbie

CF Legend
Saw Kelly **** Jones (Stereophonics) on Friday in Bournemouth and then whilst in the O2 last night, decided to nab a pair of tickets for the final show of their tour this Thursday.

YAY!