What's new

Georgia and Texas PTR - Part 4: Six Flags Fiesta Texas

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ugh, I’ve got loads of catching up to do on here, so best get started. The main plan for this trip was to get the Mexico country cred. I’ll do Mexico as a separate report later even though it was part of the same trip. When I started planning it, I added in Texas to finally get that cred cluster, then figured I might as well throw Atlanta in as well.

I got to Atlanta at a decent enough time in the late afternoon, but didn’t do anything. For anyone who knows it, I stayed at CNN centre, so it was walking distance to the aquarium and other touristy stuff. Here:

F3hPBlM.jpg

V69JdRl.jpg

kTct0Y7.jpg

Decent view from the hotel:

chprlHp.jpg

TIJ5f8L.jpg

1Qajzty.jpg

h8v14do.jpg

The first proper day was obviously for creds.

Six Flags Over Georgia

This place was an absolute piece of piss with public transport: a metro ride from right at the hotel, followed by a short bus ride. Both of these were really regular, so there wasn’t the issue of any careful planning. Door to door probably took about 40 minutes. Buses back ran regularly until well after closing as well, so no issues there. To be fair, it’s only a 15-minute drive away anyway, so Uber was definitely an option.

Anyway, the first thing you see from the bus stop is this:

NBVMypK.jpg

And this:

oJboePP.jpg

Since I was hitting four Six Flags parks on this trip, I’d booked an annual pass for some ridiculously low price, picking it up and getting into the park slightly early, which I wasn’t expecting. I went straight to Twisted Cyclone which is right at the entrance and had no queue at that point, going for an immediate reride.

sDRoIIR.jpg

There’ll be more pictures later; I’m just adding them as they were taken and they weren’t a priority at this point. Twisted Cyclone was amazing. I hadn’t followed construction at all and had kind have forgotten it was even a thing until right before the trip, but I loved it. It’s very compact, but does loads with it. The airtime is ridiculous, bordering on a bit painful on the thighs if I’m honest. After my second ride, the park had opened and the queue was up to half an hour already, so I moved on.

Oh, I’d intended to buy a Flashpass, but thought I’d play it by ear a bit first. It turned out that it really wasn’t necessary. I barely waited for anything all day.

Walk on to Georgia Scorcher:

qmVxO7l.jpg

Very good, especially for a stand-up. Of the B&Ms, I’d put it just behind Riddler’s Revenge. Most coasters had a “no bags” policy, but it was only $5 for all-day lockers, which were right at the front of any ride with that policy and took no time at all to use.

I’d forgotten that Dare Devil Dive was a thing.

kVLHEl6.jpg

This was the only real wait of the day at around forty minutes, though it was walk-on later. I thought it best just to suck it up though since I knew it was low capacity and I had no idea at that point that the park was going to stay quiet all day. It broke down twice during that time as well. Well, not broke down, but some fat bloke (definitely an enthusiast given the coaster T-shirt) screwed something since the restraints didn’t like him, causing things to be reset, retested etc.
tdMWoaI.jpg

Anyway, It was ok. I haven’t heard anything positive about the thing, but I had no complaints.

Saved this for a bit given excellent reliability and throughput:

RVUbGUu.jpg

Did this area:

56q4gFc.jpg

LkhEvz2.jpg

xiiC0FJ.jpg

ekb3YPC.jpg

zIeDRI9.jpg

vFUmXhs.jpg

mucyLoz.jpg

9bqFObq.jpg

Iq7sru3.jpg

sMPROfo.jpg

dMFrZEO.jpg

I didn’t bother with the Larson Loop thing because why would you? Batman was solid. It was the first one of the trip, so I was relatively pleased to ride it. I’d say it was probably one of the better of the clones.

Mindbender was SO GOOD though! I’ve said for a while that most Schwarzkopf coasters, especially permanent park models, are overrated, but this one was excellent. Decent layout and used the terrain well, forceful, airtime etc. Great stuff.

It must’ve been Goliath next:

GEP6Hr3.jpg

Fab! I did a few rides over the course of the day and loved it. Loads of airtime, even some ejector in the back rows, and easily one of the best B&M hypers I’ve done, if not THE best.

Roller Skater thing and Mine Train. Meh. +2.

9FdMhZZ.jpg

cRpGOvD.jpg

1knWOrp.jpg

And then onto Justice League and Superman, both of which I’ve done elsewhere.

J7u5cnV.jpg

iYipnqi.jpg

Justice League is a surprisingly high-quality affair for Six Flags, but obviously they’ve run it into the ground by adding to so many parks. This was only the second one I’d done at this point though.

Superman. Whatever. It was walk-on though, or would have been apart from a short break down, so can’t complain. I only needed this one to complete the Superman set as well.

Oh, while I remember since Superman had this, this park has the most f**king stupid excuse for single rider lines EVER! According to the map, and in the stations, a lot of their coasters have single rider. However, you’ve got to go all through the normal queue, and then go to a single-rider area once you hit the station. I didn’t use it for anything since it was unnecessary due to being quiet, but IT MAKES NO SENSE. You would literally get on the ride maybe two or three trains earlier than normal, so you’ve stood in the entire queue only to not choose your own row at the end of it, just to save yourself a few minutes. “ Yeah, I’ll line up for an hour for Twisted Cyclone and then won’t bother choosing the back row. Assign me a row please so that I can get on two trains earlier.” WHAT’S THE F**KING POINT?!

Anyway.

BGIFK78.jpg

zVR0HbB.jpg

Great American Scream Machine had about a 15-minute wait thanks to single-train operations. It was pretty brutal, but had some decent airtime at least.

sLh0fVD.jpg

kHK4n1y.jpg

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

6RYKXOr.jpg

I secretly kind of loved Blue Hawk. It’s got newer Vekoma trains with the vest things, so, while you can tell where the rough spots are (most of it), it’s still pretty rideable. It looks fab as well.

iIpeLxZ.jpg

ZMvYQ0G.jpg

nIOAp8D.jpg

DMtuwUX.jpg

This old dark ride (Monster Mansion?) was cute.

Ojsno6o.jpg

G8tLOKG.jpg

jf1Xz9T.jpg

The gyrodrop was closed, which was annoying because I love them.

xumKK5m.jpg

From there it was rerides on Goliath and Twisted Cyclone. Goliath had been walk-on all day, and so was Twisted Cyclone by the time I’d completed the circuit of the park.

JCcE99R.jpg

RktLmg5.jpg

rgPFrXa.jpg

qJ1w1GS.jpg

swehVZU.jpg

EhxB7Fb.jpg

ZrfCZUL.jpg

HK7kZD0.jpg

2k6qMel.jpg

5NzrL8l.jpg

R3m0IKs.jpg

I think I left around 5pm - can’t remember exactly now - and I’d managed to get everything done, with plenty of rerides, when I’d had it in my head that I’d be needing a Flashpass and I’d be there until closing.

Overall thoughts then. I really liked this park! The coaster selection is pretty excellent even if the park itself is pretty bland. Being quiet helped a lot, but even with that they were running the place really well. The vast majority of coasters were running two trains when they could have got away with one, and they were getting those out really quickly.

I haven’t heard many positive things about this place. Most reviews I’ve seen have been pretty negative, especially regarding staff and clientele, which I didn’t find to be an issue at all. Granted, the staff were more perfunctory than friendly, but that doesn’t bother me if they’re getting their job done. 95% of the staff and clientele all have something in common, so I’m going to just say that all the negativity in that regard must basically be coming from racists, so there.

Atlanta

I’ll just throw this in while I’m here. I had a full day the next day for tourist s**t since my flight out wasn’t until quite late. I don’t know if it was jetlag or whatever, but I was feeling decidedly s**ty for most of the day, feeling all shivery and feverish and s**t, so didn’t really enjoy it. I decided to walk for a bit down to where the Martin Luther King Jr. stuff is, via the Walking Dead bridge.

tIUBU9W.jpg

VAxZxEq.jpg

dY2ySiy.jpg

2Blh7hV.jpg

6yqzmWn.jpg

OpDgvxU.jpg

lrbTgNF.jpg

UX3Fesv.jpg

w3FstDT.jpg

There’s a small museum next to the burial site, which was interesting but didn’t warrant more than an hour.

The aquarium hadn’t really been on the cards, but I was stuck for much to do and wanted air conditioning. It’s bloody expensive as well. It’s VERY impressive admittedly, but I’ve been spoiled now by Chimelong Ocean Kingdom which just kicks the arse of every other marine park and aquarium.

ioKrJHk.jpg

sOs3Z1t.jpg

R9GEJRc.jpg

q2KQcRs.jpg

97A1EKF.jpg

TSpoyiO.jpg

h82DfSO.jpg

oVTabVf.jpg

eWkCWT1.jpg

I contemplated going to the Margaret Mitchell House then realised that would be stupid since I’d never even read her book, so didn’t give a flying f**k about where she wrote it. Since I was near the hotel anyway, where I’d have to go back to pick up my bags, I just decided to stay around that area. The Coca Cola Museum is opposite the aquarium and is, as expected, just a big advert for Coke, only the bastards get you to pay for the privilege of looking at it. S**te.

9ePGpH5.jpg

nC4EPmr.jpg

dQlBgOi.jpg

KW1cT4f.jpg

YrlqwEi.jpg

2jEKDyR.jpg

EKbJwhU.jpg

I can’t be arsed to write any more to be honest. There was nothing wrong with Atlanta necessarily – I liked the whole area around the hotel/CNN Centre - but I just wasn’t feeling up for much that day and there didn’t seem a massive amount to do anyway. I had friends from there later doing the whole “You should’ve gone to this restaurant and this bar” thing, but I don’t go to places to search out food and just couldn’t be arsed.

Sorry for the negative tone; it really was mostly down to me feeling crappy that day and forcing myself to try and do stuff. The rest of the trip is much more positive since I felt loads better the next day.

Next bit: Six Flags Over Texas

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Great report as always! Glad to see more love for Twisted Cyclone, I love how compact it is yet how it still managed such an extreme ride. The park itself isn’t bad so much as I’ve just had less than positive experiences with the service, their lineup is pretty decent and it’s in a nice area.

Wouldn’t even say your tone was too negative, to me it looked like you had fun! Can’t wait to see what you said about the Texas parks, I was just there and I loved them.

davidm

Strata Poster
Oh, while I remember since Superman had this, this park has the most f**king stupid excuse for single rider lines EVER! According to the map, and in the stations, a lot of their coasters have single rider. However, you’ve got to go all through the normal queue, and then go to a single-rider area once you hit the station. I didn’t use it for anything since it was unnecessary due to being quiet, but IT MAKES NO SENSE. You would literally get on the ride maybe two or three trains earlier than normal, so you’ve stood in the entire queue only to not choose your own row at the end of it, just to save yourself a few minutes. “ Yeah, I’ll line up for an hour for Twisted Cyclone and then won’t bother choosing the back row. Assign me a row please so that I can get on two trains earlier.” WHAT’S THE F**KING POINT?!
THIS, ABSOLUTELY THIS!

More that once (probably at that park in fact) I've found myself getting into a station and seeing some "Single Rider Queue" signs and thinking "oh **** I've missed something and had to Q through the plebs to get here" then realising its just a waste of space and would only save a train or two so **** them I am going to choose my own row now, sod your throughput measures. Some places have a SRQ part way through the Q as well - that's almost as bad! (Zeus at Park* and Apollos Chariot at BGW come to mind in that regard)

Hutch

Strata Poster
The single rider lines are stupid. Although when I was there the crowds weren't too bad, it was annoying for Twisted Cyclone as I only managed one ride whereas I could've/should've gotten a few in the same amount of time. It was actually kind of useful for Goliath, as the main queue never extended beyond the station, so I could just walk on (bagged a front row ride from that too). Georgia Scorcher on the other hand had something similar in the station, but they weren't using it at all (though I shouldn't be complaining as that was a short wait as well).

Personally not a huge fan of the park, but that comes down to the Six Flags feel. The coaster selection and even flat ride selection are quite strong though.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Sounds like we had similar experiences on our respective visits. Glad I'm not alone in thinking it's a pleasant park with a good mix of rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks for the replies so far. Also thanks for mostly agreeing that I'm right.

I think I mentioned in that first post that I had an evening flight out of Atlanta. Turns out I was going to the “wrong” airport in Dallas. I didn’t think to check if there was more than one, and assumed I was going to Dallas Fort Worth. Anyway, the mistake was a good one since the airport I ended up at was much closer to the city centre, so I was at my hotel about 20 minutes after landing. Bonus.

This park didn’t seem to have any public transport options. There was probably something, but nothing was jumping out, so I ended up taking an Uber, getting there with a bit of time to kill before opening.

Six Flags Over Texas

I didn’t really have much of a game plan for this place. I knew I couldn’t stay until closing since I was going to the theatre that evening, so needed to get out by around six, so this was the park that I was sure I’d need a Flashpass for. Nope, it was really quiet, even quieter than the Georgia park.

I bypassed a bit of stuff and headed to the back corner first.

jnbEV4e.jpg

ozHq3DR.jpg

KCjuOVl.jpg

Joker was down, and judging by the barriers had been for a while. First spite of the trip, but at least it’s a ride type I’d done already, with two more to come on this trip anyway. The new ride, Harley Quinn’s Spinsanity (s**t name) also wasn’t open, nor was a giant Frisbee thing on the same area.

6OrfO3A.jpg

7WFbMri.jpg

Nearby were Mr Freeze and Batman though, so I did those. I stupidly bought a locker since they were right between Mr Freeze and Batman (they only had a one-time use option), assuming similar operations to Georgia, forgetting that there’s absolutely no consistency to Six Flags. Totally unnecessary.

IeIytGG.jpg

a4P8szk.jpg

OBFqeHB.jpg

XdEP77Z.jpg

Mr Freeze was fab. I’d liked the other one, and hadn’t done the reverse version. Reverse is better I think, mostly for the spike. There was a bit of a rattle to it, but nothing major.

cVZP1kn.jpg

OnbBSdp.jpg

tE0jSL2.jpg

qOdEU5y.jpg

Batman was s**te though! It was just rough and by far the worst of these I’ve done. Admittedly, I didn't give it another chance after that one (front row) ride, so it could have been a train/seat/whatever issue, but Batman clones are once and done for me now.

There’s a mine train and a mini mine train next to each other. Meh. +2.

1uoGIvm.jpg

OjHfJA9.jpg

This Loony Tunes dark ride I actually loved. It’s so not Six Flags.

uPAcURJ.jpg

7m1zzi7.jpg

New Texas Giant then:

vCW1MN4.jpg

RCsY8ac.jpg

fmduOOC.jpg

DXYTRMT.jpg

YAHPMHQ.jpg

sIekArA.jpg

It’s obviously a very good coaster, and I liked how spread out the layout was compared to the other two RMCs I’d done up to that point, but the second half was just a bit dull. I get that it's the first one though, and the first half is excellent.

XCw1HXG.jpg

bjBNtLK.jpg

On99WVT.jpg

Gb9nAX6.jpg

Like everything else, it was walk-on, which was obviously great. What I also liked at this park is that most coasters have zipped pockets attached to the back of the seat in front, easily big enough for a phone, wallet and small camera. Plus, you can leave bags in the station. Absolutely perfect. Leave your bag, but still keep valuables with you without worrying about them falling out of pockets etc.

jdYEElp.jpg

IrcQgnh.jpg

ANjlWA8.jpg

I wonder when these “Don’t let the LAP bar rest on your gunt” signs were added…

kGAM7W2.jpg

This is the only picture of Titan I have since it’s in an awkward location.

R2g7ev2.jpg

I’m not sure if there are any real differences between this and Goliath at Magic Mountain, but I preferred this. There’s some really decent, sustained floater airtime on one of the hills (third one? I think it's that one just over the shed in the above picture), but the helix after the MCBR, which practically stops the train, was too ridiculously intense to enjoy. I rode it a few times and there was always a collective groan from everyone on the train.

Oh, I forgot to mention their absolutely f**king stupid "no single riders in back seats" policy. It's not quite a back seat policy actually, but single riders can't sit anywhere in the train without someone else behind them. So, say it's an almost empty train and everyone is sitting in the front half, you'd also have to sit in the front half with at least a group of two behind you.

Admitedly, it's no biggie to ride second from the back - most of the time somebody is going for the back seats anyway - but it's just a stupidly unnecessary rule brought about by one stupid incident. It's like the bulls**t "shoes" rule at Amercian airports, which nowhere else has, because of one non-incident years ago: f**king over-the-top and ridculously unnecessary. Telling people the truth behind this bollocks, as the ride op on Shockwave did when I questioned the stupidity, that it's "so that there are witnesses if someone falls out" really isn't going to inspire confidence in your guests either. You're telling people that your rides may be unsafe when they obviously aren't. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Anyway, shockwave was another very decent Schwarzkopf, though not as good as Mindbender from a couple of days before.

RzOYglQ.jpg

3g0JlPO.jpg

cw7UMcP.jpg

lFYJPpG.jpg

8Rp3sgf.jpg

Whatever the indoor cred is called was also very good. Could have done with some theming/lighting inside to be honest, but as a coaster it was decent.

jyFBcNk.jpg

I wouldn’t have bothered, but this show was 5 minutes off starting as I was passing, I was making amazing time with the rides and I was gagging for some air conditioning.

FVoJRO8.jpg

It looked very good with regards to screens and lighting, but it was otherwise quite generic, just a few girls and homos singing and dancing to a mishmash of unconnected songs.

+1

tzTiAue.jpg

I’d skipped the spinner earlier and almost forgotten about it, so got that done along with (another) Justice League.

gtS6nO1.jpg

Judge Roy Scream was cack - I'd had it in my had that it was a lot more substantial that it actually is - and made even worse by the Bog of Eternal Stench right next to it.

fvRyJVm.jpg

3OrGC5C.jpg

Joker was still closed, but the Harley Quinn thing was open. They’re in such a beautiful area of the park as well.

0CokHaF.jpg

jwN0vjw.jpg

Harley Quinn is f**king s**t. The prototype of this ride was in Hong Kong a couple of years ago, a 10-minute taxi ride away from my flat, and I still never bothered with it. It’s just really bloody boring.

Z4jX1WJ.jpg

GUBGoTx.jpg

It also doesn’t help that they positioned this one in such a way that it sits with the sun blazing directly on it for the whole day, meaning that the seats and restraints give you third degree burns and it’s a struggle to actually open your eyes without being blinded.

Qg1ZBKM.jpg

Gash.

I knew I was missing something, but was struggling to remember what, which is surprising since La Vibora has always been one of those weird things that I knew would be a bit crap, but had always intrigued me, probably thanks to Roller Coaster Tycoon.

JhbTexA.jpg

G1imJry.jpg

Hmmmmm, it’s not great, is it? It really slams you around at certain points.

ihg3rEG.jpg

That's just wrong:

QsHVZfC.jpg

And that was it. Despite the stupid rules, I liked this place a bit more than I was expecting to, but I think a lot of that was to do with being able to walk on to everything and not feel as rushed as I thought I'd be given the large number of coasters and the fact I had to get out a few hours before closing.

It was just lacking in atmosphere really, and is a pain in the arse to navigate given a bunch of dead ends and no natural “flow” around the place. Plus, in terms of coasters, despite there being a lot of them and a huge RMC, there aren’t really any standout rides. I'm realising that that sounds a bit daft considering the Chinese crap I go to a lot - it's a decent park with a big ride colelction - but I think it's to do with going there just two days after SFOG, which I wasn't expecting to like and really did, and this place not being as good.

I got to the theatre in plenty of time. I watched Love Never Dies, the sequel to Phantom of the Opera, which was f**king dreadful (note to self – dig up that theatre thread and say horrible things), and then it was back to the hotel.

Dallas
The next day had a similar pattern to my tourist day in Atlanta; I had the whole day free and was leaving in the evening. Unexpectedly, one of my really good friends from years ago had just got back into Dallas – she's from there, but been living away for years – so we arranged to meet for lunch/beers. Before that, I walked from the hotel down to Dealey Plaza, which was only a few minutes away.

I have no idea what that big eye was all about, but I could see it from my hotel window, so had a quick look.

aI4xAYW.jpg

09MhAgo.jpg

VjOfClp.jpg

i6nM6kl.jpg

jl28BlI.jpg

ltagEHg.jpg

npgpqA8.jpg

4FJNCLl.jpg

Dealey Plaza was where JFK was assassinated, with the old book depository building now being a museum. Essentially, it’s just a place for morbid tourism, but dressed up as “History”. They’ve even got two Xs painted on the road, one for each bullet which hit him.

WZX1QIu.jpg

AdCgR75.jpg

vJsAxci.jpg

yPvMVq7.jpg

AGaIAet.jpg

9iV2pqa.jpg

UAaPeWt.jpg

bgFctMY.jpg

tlOgbYK.jpg

cRyad55.jpg

2uI2uZ7.jpg

The museum itself was pretty interesting as well, but very busy. The actual window he was (“allegedly” but quite obviously) shot from is all glassed off, but you can go to the window of the floor above for a pretty much identical view. This involved stairs though, so the fat Americans mostly didn’t bother and I had that floor mostly to myself.

zfYNFuI.jpg

9RGTY3M.jpg

gOdqHan.jpg

VqtbuJo.jpg

X9kYhG8.jpg

My friend picked me up from there. We had a long lunch and bitched about people we both used to know and mutually dislike before she dropped me off back downtown. I had a bit of time to kill, so went to some art gallery, which was actually pretty decent. They had a few paintings by most of the “big names” without having any actual famous s**t. I walked back to the hotel to collect my stuff via some big sculpture thing which was actually pretty fab.

rUAV3Hs.jpg

9o5ZxF5.jpg

mEbrOZZ.jpg

0utCR2f.jpg

NFjkGrV.jpg

0DEVR2U.jpg

zWaUhGB.jpg

YFxJbc6.jpg

Mkg4a9c.jpg

QpOWbYR.jpg

It was onto San Antonio that evening. I ended up going by Greyhound bus, which is never as bad as it sounds despite the stations themselves always being full of complete reprobates. Without planning it, the hotels at both ends were less than a 10-minute walk from their respective bus stations, so I figured it would be easier, obviously a lot cheaper, and not actually that much longer than pissing about getting to and from airports and dealing with all the airport crap as well.

San Antonio is next then.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Loving the report so far Gavin.

Interesting to see Six flags has changed the trains they have running on their bobsled coasters. No idea if it makes a difference to the ride experience though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is a joy to read, making me think that a similar trip in a few years might need to happen!

I must be super out of the loop, but what happened on Titan? Someone just disappeared out the back?! How exactly would a witness help that? Odd.

I was left feeling reasonably indifferent towards SFOT, to be honest. It was busy, hot and nothing terribly impressive to ride. We had a fun ride of La Vibora, but a classic case of the company making it special, not the ride itself. I enjoyed NTG (its better than the majority of stuff, let's be honest), but definitely one of the weaker RMCs.

As ever, looking forward to the next bit!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Nothing happened on Titan. That fat woman flew out of New Texas Giant because she was being held in at the gunt rather than her actual lap, so in an entirely appropriate and well-thought-out response, SFOT doesn't allow single riders on any of their coasters unless there are people sat behind them to act as witnesses when they invariably fly out.

Stupid twats.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Nothing happened on Titan. That fat woman flew out of New Texas Giant because she was being held in at the gunt rather than her actual lap, so in an entirely appropriate and well-thought-out response, SFOT doesn't allow single riders on any of their coasters unless there are people sat behind them to act as witnesses when they invariably fly out.

Stupid twats.
Ben and I actually saw a ride op straight up tell a girl on JRS that they made the rule because "a lady fell out of Texas Giant so we need someone with you to act as a witness if you fly out," which would be regarded industry-wide as a major ride op no-no. :p

Great report though, I was just there a few months ago and it looks like we agreed on a lot! Glad to see some more love for NTG's first half, even for a prototype it's pretty fast-paced and violent! And hating on La Vibora is also always appreciated, that thing's terrible.

Can't wait to see you hit my favorite park here soon!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I got to San Antonio pretty late, so just crashed at the hotel. This was the first time that I would have to hit parks at weekends, so I opted for Sea World on the Saturday and Six Flags Fiesta Texas on the Sunday, figuring/hoping that the Sunday would be quieter since Texans go to church and all that s**t.

Sea World San Antonio

There were bus options which I’d kind of planned out, but by now I’d just been using Uber for everything so stuck with that. American Uber drivers are annoying though, wanting to make conversation and stuff. I get it, they need to keep their ratings up, and think that talking constantly is friendly, but I’m British and it’s annoying.

I’m going to Hell, but here’s a useful tip that I used for the rest of the trip. When the driver is on their way, send a message that you’re deaf. They shut the f**k up for the whole trip and also wouldn’t dare give you a less than 5* rating.

Sea World then. The park seemed pretty busy, but queues were fine. The Mack supersplash thing and Wave Breaker took about 15 minutes each to get on, but Great White and Steel Eel were walk-on.

8ASDuQY.jpg

ktAOKC2.jpg

COaUiCG.jpg

Great Another Batman Clone was fine. One of the better ones.

t2h4OID.jpg

l4FmSu2.jpg

Unj3vue.jpg

I’m just going to chuck pictures in and write some stuff after.

Q6FQxM6.jpg

W3L6YKo.jpg

P8EDHJJ.jpg

FdpWGfU.jpg

JIvQGRG.jpg

Jq1b6nD.jpg

2EgMr5H.jpg

BqtX5N3.jpg

RtSv80u.jpg

EPotIWf.jpg

mcTkfMV.jpg

6t94lGH.jpg

Asha1uj.jpg

6i3a1xF.jpg

Wave Breaker was crap; I didn’t rate it all. Steel Eel, however, I really liked. Sure, Morgan don’t make the best hypers, but I found this to be much better than Steel Force (meh), Mamba (crap) and Wild Thing (not bad), though admittedly that may not be saying much. It definitely deserved a few rerides though.

I saw an animal:

tEKMKSx.jpg

Then polished off the kiddy cred I’d walked past earlier.

BYtMUBN.jpg

I didn’t bother with the killer whales doing tricks for slack-jawed troglodytes show. Sorry, I mean “demonstrating natural behaviours to educate people and create environmental awareness”. This was partly because it’s gross and I’ve seen it before elsewhere, but mostly because it would have meant hanging around for another two hours and I was done.

So, not a great park, but it seemed very popular. A +4 is a +4 and at least I enjoyed Steel Eel.

I think I headed back and chilled at the hotel for a couple of hours before going for a bit of a walk.

San Antonio

I was only a couple of minutes’ walk from The Alamo and Riverwalk. Got to be honest, I had very little clue what The Alamo actually was other than being grabbed onto as something of historical and cultural importance since the USA doesn’t really have much of either. Maybe I was expecting more.

71VdG4V.jpg

HFiQVKk.jpg

Q5nVipr.jpg

t3ZvMP5.jpg

PfYoYbS.jpg

wqppUot.jpg

The riverwalk area was lovely though, so I followed that along to some cathedral, then retraced my steps and got food somewhere along there.

g0PWlzi.jpg

JFEn8aX.jpg

R7oYUUd.jpg

5Y0I3J1.jpg

M8X9rJn.jpg

TuI4rK1.jpg

xbCjqVN.jpg

UETzYEX.jpg

FxBiwiJ.jpg

y6YqQoz.jpg

Six Flags Fiesta Texas next.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Six Flags Fiesta Texas

This was probably the most anticipated park of the trip since I’d always really liked the look of it. The whole “shoved in a quarry” aesthetic has always seemed to elevate it above others in the chain. Plus, there was the new RMC Raptor thing.

Bypassed these and headed straight to Wonder Woman:

cjmcfJo.jpg

EUSdEN7.jpg

It’s such a fab-looking thing:

SjHf6ff.jpg

Closed! The guy out front was all “We want to get it open, but I honestly wouldn’t wait since it won’t be ready for at least a few hours if at all.” UGH!

Superman instead then.

Y3GvGlo.jpg

gtB5X4Q.jpg

This was the one that I thought might unseat Spanish Superman as my favourite floorless. It didn’t quite get there, but it’s still very good. I thought there was a bit more interaction with the landscape than there actually is though. Once you’ve left the lifthill and first drop, it’s pretty much just on flat land. It means I’ve got all the B&M floorless coasters now. Well, sort of. I haven’t done any of the conversions, but I did them as standups.

8hSH9td.jpg

u2Zq4BJ.jpg

Batman, a kiddy coaster, and spite:

fhxJ4Xm.jpg

4b6sJqs.jpg

ZkcpMZ7.jpg

hEynECc.jpg

Qx5hjj3.jpg

ZHwCCpg.jpg

I hadn’t seen any trains on Poltergeist running, so thought it might be down. Nope, just very quiet. On my first ride on it, there were only three of us on the train. Continuing the general theme of this trip, the park was again very quiet.

p53uCuw.jpg

AYKFRMb.jpg

Some general niceness, showing that this place is definitely more attractive than most (all?) in the chain.

mbIcpcG.jpg

aqCdRXN.jpg

WdGgikM.jpg

uia3yhx.jpg

Onto Iron Rattler then. I didn’t have massively high hopes given New Texas Giant being slightly disappointing a couple of days previously, but it was so much better. For me, it's the best thing in the park.

RTxlcF9.jpg

fWcrzAD.jpg

eYQFS8q.jpg

RCZwXrx.jpg

4a7iGnr.jpg

The mine train thing was decent for what it was.

Rm61cd9.jpg

I polished off the boomerang on the way back to Wonder Woman, which was still down.

9YsXk71.jpg

0kSAYMA.jpg

r5fErW0.jpg

Grabbed the spinner.

LcFMBfs.jpg

I got food and sat myself in view of Wonder Woman. There had been stuff getting done in the station, but no signs of actually opening up to that point. Not long after, it started testing though.

qQeXN1Q.jpg

fix1FtM.jpg

2SlhHlA.jpg

But then nothing for another half an hour or so. Ugh!

When it tested again, I headed straight back over, and they finally opened the queue line. I got on the first train of the day (at around 2:30pm), there was a second train of people behind mine, but the third train wouldn’t dispatch. So yeah, they got two trains of people out before it f**ked up.

They got it running again, by which time the queue was up quite a bit. It all seemed fine, but then right when I got to the station, it was f**ked again. I stayed put and got my second ride in after about half an hour.

zdEppkA.jpg

fOeBh0t.jpg

OX1b0Wl.jpg

xmIEk6Z.jpg

The problem was one of the trains. It seems that the sensors in the station weren’t picking it up, so the restraints wouldn’t release. They ended up doing what they should have f**king done that morning, and taking that train off, running it with just two.

PNuXahY.jpg

oyhVwp0.jpg

10JWwx0.jpg

wm8nbCH.jpg

The operations on this pissed me off as well. During the brief period it was working for a while, there were so many seats going empty. Some seats were closed off completely - I'm guessing restraint bulls**t again - but even with that, fully-working seats were also getting left. The guy assigning seats was a useless twat, and really didn’t seem to have a clue what he was doing.

FD0fB8A.jpg

mbD6UZk.jpg

geNgvOY.jpg

The coaster is very good though, especially for something so small. On both rides (back seat both times) one of my shoulders (left one I think?) completely slipped out of the restraint due to being thrown around quite a bit. It’s all very safe obviously since the shoulder bits are redundant, but it helps to explain how forceful it is. I kind of hope these don’t become the next S&S Freefly though, being shoved into every park, as it would kind of detract from it if they’re suddenly everywhere.

I’d forgotten about the Batman clone at the front of the park, so grabbed that on the way out.

TiRmUUj.jpg

9xyIzzs.jpg

m4JwNa5.jpg

1Frq3wN.jpg

I thought I’d completed the set now that the one in Kuwait is bollocksed, but there’s that one in La Ronde still to go which I’d forgotten about.

That night I was just around the riverwalk again, this time catching some projection mapping thing on the cathedral.

n93ZGC5.jpg

YQq7Ui3.jpg

2HRHzXg.jpg

GH8mR02.jpg

G7cnuEA.jpg

2PAozcr.jpg

m2Dukh7.jpg

eQEtn2Q.jpg

azyQUJY.jpg

0oMAPCM.jpg

3Oodrxr.jpg

r8tq4wC.jpg

3uxRwLJ.jpg

I had most of the next day free as well, which I didn’t need at all. I’d allowed for a tourist day, but because I’d done the parks, especially Sea World, with time left in the day, along with the touristy stuff all being pretty compact, I’d seen everything I wanted to see.

I checked out of the hotel as late as possible, went inside the Alamo, which was a bit crap and took all of 15 minutes, then it was down to the riverwalk again for food, drinks, hanging around a bit etc.

kZJU6c8.jpg

5hVZTEW.jpg

Q8fpALs.jpg

Dfi61rn.jpg

BGV9qII.jpg

odBcHqT.jpg

aic8kgi.jpg

xr4Ttwx.jpg

HhwANN8.jpg

And that was the end of the USA section of the trip. It was pretty decent on the whole. Six Flags Over Georgia was a pleasant surprise, and Fiesta Texas was really nice. I got to see three new cities as well, San Antonio being the nicest, as was expected, but Dallas being pretty nice as well. Atlanta wasn’t the dump I’d been expecting, but it was just a bit dull and I wasn’t really feeling it.

It was onto Mexico that evening, but I’ll write that up as a separate report.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good stuff, that was a nice read. Quite jealous of the SFFT day, we got rained out about halfway through our day a few years back (thankfully got Iron Rattler though). I'd like to go back for Wonder Woman at the very least.

Look forward to seeing the Mexico bit. :)