What's new

Gemini or Colossus?

What do you guys think - Gemini or Colossus?

• Gemini at Cedar Point

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
What Gemini is...it's a thing...or something. It's not rough enough to really hurt and there's no real thrills to it, so it comes off as forgettable. Especially when one side is down and there isn't even the "racing" factor.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ To be fair, I've ridden Colossus four times. Not once did they ever have both stations open.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
gavin said:
I thought Gemini was ok for what it was. Nothing mind-blowing, which is why it fit in really well at Cedar Point.
Yeah, sort of a complement for mind-blowing stuff like Maverick, TTD and Millennium Force. ;-)

Jason Voorhees said:
It has a good first drop but everywhere after that it's HORRIBLE.
HORRIBLE!? Wow, would hate to hear your opinion on Mean Streak. =O

Jason Voorhees said:
it is airtimeless, slow,
Airtimeless? Not really. Slow? Funny, cause that's pretty much the 2nd half of Colossus..

rtotheizzo17 said:
rollermonkey said:
This is like asking if someone prefers spaghetti or the number 4.

Yeah, I prefer Colossus but comparing them because they are both "racers" is iffy.
Apples to oranges? Not really, considering the layouts are even similar with 3 main turnarounds, the 3rd being underneath the 1st in both cases. They're both 125 feet tall with nearly the same drop heights, nearly the same speed and race side-to-side. The only main differences between them is that Gemini obviously has the steel tubular rails and is ~400ft shorter than Colossus in length. Try something like Gwazi vs. Gemini, you'll have apples to oranges there. They're both wooden racers and... that's pretty much it.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I'd say Colossus over Gemini due to the fact SF has the balls to run rides backwards.
Backwards Colossus, even in the B&M Pyclone trains... was still a blast.

Both rides seem to be pretty lacking by today's standards but neither one is 'bad' and I'll give Gemini credit for at least racing... unlike Colossus (in fact... I've never even seen both sides running at the same time, it took two trips to get both sides ridden)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
ava1enzue1a said:
Apples to oranges? Not really, considering the layouts are even similar with 3 main turnarounds, the 3rd being underneath the 1st in both cases. They're both 125 feet tall with nearly the same drop heights, nearly the same speed and race side-to-side. The only main differences between them is that Gemini obviously has the steel tubular rails and is ~400ft shorter than Colossus in length. Try something like Gwazi vs. Gemini, you'll have apples to oranges there. They're both wooden racers and... that's pretty much it.
You're right, the only things Gemini and Colossus have in common is they are both 125 feet fall, 60 mph fast, and race.

As for actual layout, track design, and ride experience (such as Colossus actually not racing); the rides are very different.

It is indeed an apples to oranges comparison, just like how B&M and Arrow Hypers are not similar comparison, regardless of sharing similar heights, speeds, and general layouts.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Hyde244 said:
You're right, the only things Gemini and Colossus have in common is they are both 125 feet fall, 60 mph fast, and race.
Not "only". I'd say there are more major similarities than differences.

Hyde244 said:
As for actual layout, track design, and ride experience (such as Colossus actually not racing); the rides are very different.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that. 1) Conceptually, their layouts are similar; 2) Agreed, 3) Trivial point to make considering that Gemini could run only one track as well or Colossus with both.

Hyde244 said:
It is indeed an apples to oranges comparison, just like how B&M and Arrow Hypers are not similar comparison, regardless of sharing similar heights, speeds, and general layouts.
Agreed, comparing these hypers is apples vs. oranges because they generally don't share the same statistics or concepts with layouts. I wouldn't say that's so much the case with Gemini vs. Colossus though.

I get the point. You (among others) think Gemini and Colossus shouldn't be compared. In that sense, should any coaster not be compared with another (with the exception of exact clones) due to being different and unique in its own way? What's the fun in that?

All nitpicking aside, I think OP should have created a poll for this topic. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Gemini is a large steel racing roller coaster. Colossus is a large wooden racing roller coaster.

They are very different rides.

Of course roller coasters should be compared to one another, which have more commonalities than Gemini and Colossus. For instance you can compare by manufacturer or ride type.

But no, the ride experiences of Gemini and Colossus are too dissimilar to merit an honest comparison.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Although having ridden only Gemini, the racing aspect on Gemini was hilarious because my friends and I were making people on the other train laugh!