What's new

Gardaland | Oblivion: The Black Hole | B&M Dive Coaster

TilenB

Strata Poster
I've been browsing on screamscape today and I stumbled across this:

2015 - B&M Dive Machine - Rumor - (11/4/13) According to TheParks.it a new B&M Dive Machine is on the way to Gardaland in 2015. They expect it to be around 42 meters (138 feet) tall. Since Gardaland is owned by Merlin, who just built Krake at Heide Park in 2011, I would expect that the two rides might share some similarities in terms of size and layout. For example Krake stands apoximately 41 meters tall (134.5 feet) tall and was the first “D6” Dive Machine layout, featuring narrower 6-across seat trains which allows B&M to use the cheaper standard sized B&M track scale instead of the more beefy Dive Machine track used for Oblivion, SheiKra and Griffon which offer trains that seat 8 or even 10 riders wide. If I had to guess, I’d expect to see another D6 Dive Machine format here as well.

Sounds pretty interesting, if not a little bit far-fetched at the moment. I wonder if it is going to stand where the Palablu (dolphin show arena) was once located. Other possible locations in the park would be behind the Space Vertigo drop tower or next to Fuga da Atlantida.

http://www.theparks.it/gardaland-p1/not ... ine-n1495/

peep

CF Legend
Re: B&M Dive Machine for Gardaland in 2015

This news intrigues me, a dive machine would compliment Raptor quite nicely. Will be interesting to see where they might cram one in.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Dam. Well I guess this was always going to occur the year after I predicted they would install a new ride and am visiting.
By doing this, Merlin have just broken their wonderful 'rule of three', essentially adding a new coaster every three years. This has occurred with Gardaland itself, with Sequioa (2005), Mammut (2008) and Raptor (2011), as well as Thorpe, Alton and Heide. As for Chessington...20 years? Who knows.

Anyway, this is probably because Heide are constructing their new wingrider, so if Merlin can no longer build two major coasters in a year, that would mean Thorpe would be pushed back to 2015 and Alton 2017, by which time Smiler will have torn itself apart.

So where will the new Dive Machine go? My bets are on the Space themed area, as it is in dire need of regeneration and they have plenty of space behind it...

81kvc5e.jpg

(2011)

Because it's B&M it will undoubtedly be a great ride experience. But I don't really believe that this new addition is what GL needs exactly.

-It's small. Gardaland can't possibly be impeded by a height restriction, otherwise Flying Island could not exist. This sadly means the Dive Machine will probably have a fairly nondescript and predictable layout.
-It's by no means unique.
-What they really need is...something that will distinguish itself entirely and will fit the 'list' of mandatory coasters for truly incredible parks. A launched coaster is direly needed and Italy really needs a woodie...
-Guess what colour it will be! :wink:

So until 2014, I'll just have to hope they replace BT's trains, or replace Sequoia with a preferable El Loco with a similar footprint...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

At least they're not getting a 14 time inverting Gerstlauer!

BBH

Giga Poster

Ian said:
Just to rub salt into the wound. :lol:

I'll be interested to see what they can come up with. It may just be the standard lift-drop-Immelmann type of deal, but it'll still be intriguing to see the layout that B&M have designed.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

It'd be a good fit for the park. But the thing that bugs me is the the way that the dive machine seats are laid out, you can get a similar experience from being on a wing rider and being on the end seat of a dive machine. The only difference being that the seats are above the track, and that theirs some in the middle. But if what they say is true, and that they're using rows with not as many seats in them, then that will help eliminate that problem of having a winged and a dive machine in the same park.

Ethan

Strata Poster

CoasterCrazy, you do realise that this Dive Machine is purely a rumour as of now?

Darren B

Giga Poster

That's lovely Merlin, you keep handing out the B&M's to the European parks, and dump the Gerstlauer's in the UK parks.

Hutch

Strata Poster

BBH said:
I'll be interested to see what they can come up with. It may just be the standard lift-drop-Immelmann type of deal, but it'll still be intriguing to see the layout that B&M have designed.
Same here. It would be nice to see something different from the other dive machines out there. Personally I'd like to see a different inversion or element other than an immelmann, maybe a vertical loop?

Ethan

Strata Poster

I do hope they get a Dive Machine though... Would make a nice addition to a park that's already so nice to visit. It's been SO long since I went :(

Darren B

Giga Poster

They won't use any other inversion other than an Immelmann, it's purely there to make a sharp turnaround. If you start sticking extra inversions on it then the cost increases dramatically, and then you also start to detract from the rides main feature which is the vertical drop.

I don't expect to see anything other than the traditional drop, turnaround and splash elements, so I'm calling something very similar to Krake, if not a clone.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Ethan said:
CoasterCrazy, you do realise that this Dive Machine is purely a rumour as of now?

True...but I'd say it's extremely likely! It will fit into the space area (if it does indeed go there), plus GL is due a new coaster after all.

OK, I'll admit that during my rant I did exaggerate a little (only to prove my point :wink: ). In fact, there's nothing wrong with getting a B&M, it's a wonderful new addition which will undoubtedly be attractive (in both ways). It's just the type of coaster which they failed to get which disappoints me.

I'm also annoyed I'll miss it by one year....

Ian said:

Haha...well, maybe we'll see a 15 inverting-Gerstlaurer (with an extra roll) !!

Darren B said:
That's lovely Merlin, you keep handing out the B&M's to the European parks, and dump the Gerstlauer's in the UK parks.

I don't really believe Alton will get many more B&Ms as they almost have the full product range, only lacking a sit-down/True Floorless. If they're trialing other manufacturers, maybe they'll try RMC!

Ethan

Strata Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
Ethan said:

True...but I'd say it's extremely likely! It will fit into the space area (if it does indeed go there), plus GL is due a new coaster after all.

Yeah you're right there. And I really hope it happens too! Does anyone know if Raptor was a big hit? I'm guessing it was, but I haven't seen any statistics.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Ethan said:
Yeah you're right there. And I really hope it happens too! Does anyone know if Raptor was a big hit? I'm guessing it was, but I haven't seen any statistics.

It was certainly a big hit with me :--D It's a great coaster and surprisingly forceful despite its small size.

As for the figures, according to TEA (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_am ... k_rankings ), 2011 saw an increase of 50,000 on the previous year. However, 2009 was in fact, the best attended season listed, with 250,000 more than 2011....so I don't believe Raptor did so much. However, a good coaster is mandatory to a good park, so Raptor really ameliorated the park in that sense. This can probably be attributed to the park's family demographic and climate; some of the most popular attraction are the water rides and the Kiddy area is often packed.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

If this is true it's awesome news! I really love Krake, so more of these is always a good thing. The dive machines are probably the best B&M coasters in the 2000's IMO.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Part of me loves Krake's splashdown, but part of me hopes that if Gardaland were to get a DM, they would leave it out.

Although it's very dramatic (visually), so it wouldn't surprise me if future models include them.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Darren B said:
They won't use any other inversion other than an Immelmann, it's purely there to make a sharp turnaround. If you start sticking extra inversions on it then the cost increases dramatically, and then you also start to detract from the rides main feature which is the vertical drop.

I don't expect to see anything other than the traditional drop, turnaround and splash elements, so I'm calling something very similar to Krake, if not a clone.
You're probably right. I'd just like to see something different for a change.

Ethan said:
Part of me loves Krake's splashdown, but part of me hopes that if Gardaland were to get a DM, they would leave it out.

Although it's very dramatic (visually), so it wouldn't surprise me if future models include them.
Same with me. They've already used splashdowns on what, 3 DMs? There's nothing really wrong with them though, but it's not like its necessary. Also, I haven't ridden Krake, but to me it seems like its splashdown kills the speed. Does it affect the experience of the ride on Krake?

Anyway, I'm not setting high hopes for something unique.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

CoasterCrazy said:
However, 2009 was in fact, the best attended season listed, with 250,000 more than 2011....so I don't believe Raptor did so much. However, a good coaster is mandatory to a good park, so Raptor really ameliorated the park in that sense. This can probably be attributed to the park's family demographic and climate; some of the most popular attraction are the water rides and the Kiddy area is often packed.

I think with a park like Gardaland, it's more of a place that people go to as part of a bigger Lake Garda holiday, rather than as a destination in itself. I'm guessing that the majority of people there aren't in the area specifically for the park, so year-on-year numbers are going to be very dependent on how many people are visiting Lake Garda that year.

Sure, they still need to keep it fresh as I imagine that it will get a lot of repeat visitors from the people who vacation in the area regularly.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

They need another decent coaster considering their second best cred is between a Vekoma Mine Train or an extended Wacky Worm...

Be it B&M or something else... They need something GOOD...