Forwards or Backwards?

• Forwards

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Backwards

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

coastergeek14

Roller Poster
Hi, I just thought it would be interesting to get some opinion on this (and following the trend of the "or" topics)

So what do YOU prefer? Traditional coaster fun facing forwards? Or not knowing what's going to happen next when going backwards?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You can go forwards and not know what's happening next...be it in the dark on on a ride with little track visibility.

Personally I like to go forwards because it's more natural. Slammer at Thorpe is the worst for it. The forwards part it ok, but the backwards bit gives me a headache.

Backwards rides remind me of X:\NWO and I never want to be reminded of that piece of that.

herbinator

Mega Poster
Forwards for me too. The backwards motion feels less open and restricted for me, it also makes me feel ill sometimes:/.

Although the mix on spinners I think the backwards moments on them are thrilling and equal to the forward moments.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Forwards for me, I have only rode one backwards coaster and that`s X: Every Way In, and that`s turd.
Flat wise is the same, take Rush for instance, forwards in much more of a buzz then backwards.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I've ridden Indiana Jones at DLP when it was backwards, and more recently when it was forwards. Was a lot less painful travelling forwards, however the loop backwards was amazing.

I do prefer forwards, but backwards is a nice little novelty.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I prefer forwards, but don't underestimate just how fun backwards is. Thunderation at Silver Dollar City is the best mine train I've been on because it has the backwards car feature. Riding backwards ups the intensity a lot.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I'd actually say that rides are more scary when you're going backwards because of that unpredictable elmement.

For dark rides then backwards is best...

But forward facing makes it more thrilling, i.e. you feel the wind on your face!

dominoes

Mega Poster
I do prefer forwards, but backwards is really fun! I find Th13teen scariest in the backwards section, and if X: No Way Out stopped constantly hitting breaks, then it would probably be one of my fav coasters...

nadroJ

CF Legend
I don't mind backwards for a portion (Thirteen, Expedition Everest) but not the whole way, I find it too disorientating and it gives me motion sickness =/

Josh73

Giga Poster
ill:

adverb. badly - poorly - wrong - hardly

adjective. bad - evil - wicked - diseased - unwell - poor - ailing

noun. evil - harm - wrong - mischief - trouble

Ben

CF Legend
^He didn't say ill though did he babes? No.

Anyway, I like backwards sections to add a bit of variety like Everest, Th13teen or Boomerangs, and I don't mind pure backwards coasters, I think they have their place. But, that place is certainly being one of a park's full collection, not being every coaster there.

DDF14

Mega Poster
I wish they would try a reverse car on Oblivion would be such a cool tension builder and change from the usual. Falling forwards is almost too conventional now and there is still something strange with the body that doesnt like falling backwards..

To be fair I enjoy both motions but I must admit going forwards seems to have purpose where as backwards you just feel like a passanger to the experience.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
DDF14 said:
I wish they would try a reverse car on Oblivion would be such a cool tension builder and change from the usual. Falling forwards is almost too conventional now and there is still something strange with the body that doesnt like falling backwards..

That would be epic. Making an already brilliant coaster even better. :D