What's new

Formula 1 2010

nealbie

CF Legend
Christmas and New Year will also give us Nico Rosberg's teammate - I know what I want as my present! ;)

The points system is also an interesting one. It doesn't actually promote winning races anymore than it did from 2003, the 1991-2002 system is still by far the best one. It does however stress the importance of the podium, with a 5 point gap between 3rd and 4th.

It also totally kills the record books - although Todt has said something about "officially converting" the record books with regards to points to counter that, as it has become a hugely raised issue amongst many fans.

The joint car launch with all of the teams in Monaco should be a sight to behold, although I do quite like knowing one at a time about the cars - all at the same time might be a bit too much information to handle :lol:

Very cost saving though - Jean Todt's Presidency has gone bloody fantastic so far!

Mention should also go to the decision to have ex-GP drivers sitting on stewarding panels at races.

marc

CF Legend
I thought the joint car launch was going to be in Valencia, and then they start testing at the track not the street track though which is ****.

Trulli and Kovy will be the Lotus drivers.

nealbie

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrq4TDYpRSE&feature=related[/youtube]

BEYOND hilarious! :lol:

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I'd equally like to see him look his age and struggle, as I would see him wipe the floor with Lewis! I don't know what I think!

marc

CF Legend
I have mixed views as well Rob.

There are many other good drivers out there that would love to get in F1 and I feel he is taking up a really good seat for what will be his final year.

I have read today that a lot of Ferrari fans are calling him a liar as he always said he would end his F1 days in a Ferrari.

I think he will win the odd race if the car is any good, but championship no way.

I just dont see the point in him coming back I really dont.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yeah, i definitely agree that its a seat that could go to someone wanting/needing a break in F1. Shame Hulkenberg already had a contract with Williams, because he'd fit into the 'German' setup there. Not that i'm convinced the Mercedes is even going to be the best car...

There's suggestion in Autosport this week that maybe Schuey was sort-of pushed into retirement by how desperate Ferrari were to sign Kimi at the time, similar to how Kimi's been forced elsewhere this year due to how desperate they were for Alonso. That'll be Luca De Montezemolo throwing his weight around then... Mind you, Kimi couldn't care less where he is, and i'm sure he'll relish a year of rallying. The door's not even closed to him, suggestion says he could always come back to F1 with Red Bull, who are backing his WRC campaign, and also are likely to lose Vettel to Merc when his contract expires.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yes Rob that's always been the suggestion, but you talk about taking up important seats... Michael retired so that his mate Felipe Massa would have a drive, at the time, he already felt he'd stayed too long in the sport and regretted not retiring in 2004.

His motives for a return? To put it simply - to win. He is an old-school driver who is programmed to do nothing but that, "2nd is nowhere" as he said so himself (an evolution of Senna's "2nd is 1st of the losers").

He wouldn't be back if he wasn't 100% sure that both he and the car can do it. People may doubt it and say it's going to do nothing but damage his rep, but he would also deeply analyse that - more so than we are doing here. He knows himself and the internal workings of F1 a million times better than we can ever do from the outside.

If Michael passes the medical and returns to F1 - I am confident that he will fight for both wins AND the championship. :)

marc

CF Legend
Its going to be really interesting to see anyway.

I just hope it does not all become about him though, in terms off press and interviews.

I remember Mansell coming back 1995 I do hope that does not happen to MS though as much as I dont really like him. Plus I hope Nico is given the same car and chances as it would not be fair on him.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
I'm sure Neal will be plased about this :)

It'll be great to see him back, seeing him and Hamilton fight for the title would certainly be epic.

Ben

CF Legend
The German, who will be 41 on 3 January, was unveiled at the Mercedes factory in Brackley, Northamptonshire.

Northamptonshire <3

And next year will be awesome then when Button pwns him :wink:

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
The German, who will be 41 on 3 January, was unveiled at the Mercedes factory in Brackley, Northamptonshire.

Northamptonshire <3

And next year will be awesome then when Button pwns him :wink:

Umm, no.

Button will be getting his ass kicked by Hamilton next year. Next year will expose him as the average driver he really is.