What's new

For the lovers of forceful coasters...

BigBad

Mega Poster
Why the insistence on "forcefulness"? I like forces, particularly the negative ones, but why do you consider it necessary?

I've gotten my dad on a few big coasters. His comment about two B&Ms, Raptor and Hulk, was that they made it feel like he was flying or skiing, as if he wasn't moving but the camera turned upside down.

That's a cool feeling, isn't it? There are stated "flying" coasters. The B&M wing design is supposed to remove the track from above and below to simulate flight. Humans have fantasized about flight for a long time.

It's a different experience than I305 trying to squash me or Skyrush trying to throw me into West Virginia (and Hershey is in Central PA), but I think that coasters shouldn't all be the same experience.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Exactly. If everything was balls-to-the-wall forceful, you wouldn't be able to appreciate the more intense coasters. You just need variety.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The very definition of a roller coaster is "a thing that contains or goes through wild and unpredictable changes." Many are drawn to roller coasters for their fast transitions, inversions, and indeed riding styles (floorless, stand-up, etc.). In this way, seeking out negative and positive g-forces seems a natural factor thrill seekers also search for.

I wouldn't say this is a case of roller coaster enthusiasts only preferring one type of roller coaster - I have yet to meet someone who wouldn't ride a B&M invert because it wasn't their perfectly imagined roller coaster. But, many do place high g-force rides at the very top of their list. Four of the top 14 roller coasters in the last Mitch Hawker Poll feature inversions, with the rest being airtime machines.

steelresults2013.jpg

However, this is in part why I consider Maverick is such high esteem - it is a roller coaster that features great airtime forces, but other elements as well (launch, inversions, transitions) to offer a certain roller coaster buffet with its layout.

Snoo

The Legend
Smithy said:
As long as forceful does not also mean painful, then aye.

This guy. Thats simple reason why I don't rate SkyRush as high as others as it was painfully forceful. Minus the pain, Top 5 easily. With the pain? Maybe mid-late 20's.. I'd have to check.

I tend to like more forceful airtime than simple floater. I also like that said airtime on wood as opposed to steel. Hence, my top 10 reflects that. All that being said, that doesn't mean an average person who likes forceful feelings doesn't like variety as well. If you look at my Top 20 as an example, the top tends to be as I mentioned before, but the middle have great B&M's (regardless of type), Inverts, Launchers, etc.