What's new

Florida Part Eleven: Legoland

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Florida Part Nine: Universal Studios

^ There's a Kwikemart gift shop with some tacky plastic figures in front of it. It's dreadful.

I chose "I Will Survive" for the first ride, which cut off halfway through. I can't remember what I chose for the second ride. I want to say Eminem, but honestly don't remember.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Florida Part Nine: Universal Studios

Day 10: Busch Gardens

I’d booked a free shuttle bus to the park from right next to my hotel, which seems a bit pointless since they don’t actually bother checking for reservations, names etc. and just sent a second bus after the first one filled up. It got me to the park just after opening, and I contemplated buying a fast pass thing since I wouldn’t get quite as long here as in previous parks. The woman behind the counter said not to bother though, and she was right. Most other parks would have just taken the money anyway.

I ended up having to wait 10 minutes for my first ride on Cheetah Hunt since I went straight there first, as a lot of others did, but literally every other ride, including rerides on Chunt, was walk-on after that.

SAM_1335_zpsestewngo.jpg

SAM_1339_zpsikuxorgf.jpg

I’d never really thought much of it from pictures and POVs, but I actually really liked it. It’s a decent length, is well-paced, feels pretty fast in sections and actually has some decent airtime which I wasn’t expecting. I’d also completely forgotten that there was an inversion as well. It’s a really decent coaster overall, and very rerideable.

Next up was Montu, which is a pain in the arse to get pictures of really. Again, an excellent coaster and up there with my favourite inverts now. However, I didn’t find the Egyptian theming to be quite as impressive as a lot of other people seem to. It’s basically just around the entrance area and then the ride itself is pretty much just a mess of track.

SAM_1346_zpsva3u40ls.jpg

SAM_1347_zpstu5rpw1o.jpg

SAM_1348_zpsmdztqins.jpg

It’s a great ride though, and a total lack of queue made it easy to get a few rides in, though it’s not exactly something you can whore.

More cheetah stuff:

SAM_1351_zpseb4twcgk.jpg

SAM_1354_zpsfpn44799.jpg

Then it was through to the Pantopia area with Falcon’s Fury, the new, tilting gyro drop tower.

SAM_1355_zps9cedlym3.jpg

SAM_1361_zpssej1iljv.jpg

SAM_1362_zps8mnup58n.jpg

It looks intimidating, but it’s not actually all that good. You get the same nervousness/anticipation on the climb as usual – and it is very high – and the tilting seats at the top are a definite WTF moment. However, because of the seating position, the actual drop doesn’t feel as good/strong as a normal drop tower, where you get that airtime and a real sense of falling. This, despite facing the ground, doesn’t give that same falling feeling as a regular tower. I liked it enough, and it was quiet enough, to ride a few times, but I don’t think it’s a ride I’d spend a lot of time waiting for.

Scorpion was ok, but not really worth more than a couple of rides.

SAM_1358_zps0pw28lyw.jpg

The wild mouse was clearly a +1.

SAM_1367_zpsdosokbco.jpg

The rapids were closed. Good, because I would’ve felt inclined to ride them and no doubt, like so many USA rapids, they would’ve been more wet than actually fun. People are morons about rapids. “I got soaked; the rapids were great!” No, sorry. They need more than that.

Kumba was a ride that I’d been looking forward to for ages, seeing as it’s the closest thing there is to Dragon Khan, which I loved. It didn’t disappoint either. It was forceful, but surprisingly still pretty reridable. I’d need to reride Khan again to make a fair comparison, but I don’t think there’s a lot in them. They’re both better than Wildfire at any rate, which is the only other B&M regular looper that I’ve done. The way it’s shoved off in a corner is a bit of a pain though. You’ve got to make a real effort to bother going back to it if you want to reride later since you’re never going to just be passing.

SAM_1373_zpscupikyzu.jpg

SAM_1372_zpsbywfcwlg.jpg

I looked at some animals and stuff, but didn’t do the train ride as that was the only thing that had a queue the whole day and I basically kept mistiming it. I went through all of the various animal paths/enclosures, but to be honest there was nothing there that you can’t find at any other semi-decent zoo. Don’t get me wrong, it was nice and they had a decent enough variety, but, like Animal Kingdom, the collection was made up of very generic species.

SAM_1381_zpstyj5bjub.jpg

SAM_1384_zpsjt1qu6nd.jpg

SAM_1389_zpscg2yzwde.jpg

SAM_1438_zps8ylxfi3q.jpg

Sheikra was annoying. It broke down right as I was about to get on. After waiting in the station for almost half an hour, they started evacuating the riders from the brake run, so that was that. It reopened a couple of hours later, so I got a two back-to-back rides in then, but then the same thing happened and it didn’t reopen again for the rest of the day.

SAM_1395_zpswcx2bbky.jpg

SAM_1397_zpsattnfglj.jpg

I’m glad I got the cred obviously, but the down time was annoying as I probably would’ve whored it a bit. From what I can tell, it’s basically the same as the one at Chimelong Paradise anyway, though maybe a bit smoother, so it’s not as if I haven’t ridden the s**t out of the same thing already.

Another +1:

SAM_1403_zps1gnpzvlo.jpg

SAM_1407_zpsrwwloog3.jpg

I missed Gwazi – well, the one side that was still open – by around a week. Annoying really as not only is it a cred, but I actually like to try out the infamously crap coasters to see if they’re as bad as everyone makes out.

SAM_1406_zpsb85aku6i.jpg

I have next to no recollection of this show now other than remembering there was a really, really f**king annoying brat in it. If I’d have known, I wouldn’t have watched it. I f**king HATE arrogant, stage-school, douche-cock ten-year-olds in shows. It’s why I’ll never go and see The Lion King again.

SAM_1420_zpsnevsipyl.jpg

SAM_1422_zps0s1ndg2o.jpg

Let’s finish on more positive note:

SAM_1431_zpsxn7dqtvz.jpg

I liked this park, but not as much as I was expecting to. On paper, it’s fantastic, with 4 world-class coasters including 3 B&Ms, a lot of decent filler rides, decent theming and plenty of animals. It’s probably down to the fact that it was so quiet though. It was great that I could get so many rides in without having to wait for anything – it was literally straight onto trains for the most part without even having to wait in the station - but the practically empty park meant that there wasn’t much of an atmosphere. I’m glad it was quiet, but a few more people around – say, enough to at least need to wait for a train or two before riding – would have helped to create a bit of a buzz around the place which I felt was really lacking.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Re: Florida Part Ten: Busch Gardens

Brilliant report!
You're spot on about the show, I've never heard/seen a more annoying child!
Montu can so be whored :wink:

I wonder why it always seems so dead. We had the exact same "problem" when we went, although I put that down to the storm that came. I loved the park though, and I'm surprised it didn't live up to your expectations. I would've liked to try the rapids, too. Roman Rapids were pretty good at BGW, so I'm sure these would be no different.

Spite about Gwazi. I got spited by Sand Serpent <\3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^It's not that it didn't live up to expectations. In terms of ride selection, it absolutely surpassed them. Like I said, the four main coasters are excellent and they've got a bunch of decent filler as well. It's definitely up there with "best parks" in that respect. I think it was just lacking in atmosphere a bit after going there straight after the two Universal parks. I'm just being picky though, and shouldn't really complain that I could whore a park like that.

Day 11: Legoland

This place really wasn’t on the cards at first, but I had a full day left, had done all the other parks and needed to fill the time really, so I booked an online ticket at the bargain price of just over $80, plus $5 for the shuttle bus. The bus leaves from the new Merlin area on International Drive, despite none of those things being open at that time. Still, easy enough at just a ten-minute walk from the hotel.

I was mostly in two minds because there’s only one bus in and out of the park, meaning you’re trapped there all day if you’re not driving, which has happened to me at the Malaysia park and was so bloody bored. This place was closing at 5 though, so I figured it shouldn’t be too bad.

I’m not going to dignify this place with much of an in depth report because it’s f**king dreadful on every conceivable level.

SAM_1443_zpspotxwyve.jpg

SAM_1444_zpsrammow7c.jpg

I did the flying island first, one of many rides that were already here before Merlin took over. It was great, with amazing views over some construction. The best part was the spiel from the clearly uncomfortable ride-op advertising the new hotel. This would be a common theme throughout the day.

SAM_1447_zpsq0digfeo.jpg

SAM_1448_zpso7luwckc.jpg

SAM_1450_zpsxaes72o1.jpg

The park is actually bigger than I thought, and from that height seemed like it might be quite nice.

SAM_1451_zpscmcggg8o.jpg

SAM_1453_zpsvtkvvkvl.jpg

SAM_1454_zpszznvyttq.jpg

SAM_1455_zpsyl0umdai.jpg

SAM_1456_zps7wt1vunl.jpg

SAM_1458_zpsb2ry9jf4.jpg

The 4D Theatre was gash. The first film had something wrong with the projectors, meaning that the 3D wasn’t working. It was just a blurry mess with or without the glasses. The staff said they’d call someone to fix it, but when I went back later for a different film, they’d done **** all and there was still the same problem. Why didn’t they just close it down?

SAM_1462_zpsb73zkpxf.jpg

One of the main reasons I bothered with this place is because of the woodie, Coastersaurus, again an inherited ride. I knew it was just a kiddie woodie, but it’s by far the worst kiddie woodie I’ve done. It was just soooooooo dull and basically did f**k all.

SAM_1464_zpsvejheuei.jpg

SAM_1467_zpsovlncovq.jpg

SAM_1468_zpsfeu6ma0r.jpg

SAM_1469_zpscet09rlj.jpg

SAM_1473_zpsc9n97and.jpg

As at most (all?) of the other parks they had a “Dragon” coaster. I actually really liked the one in Malaysia, but this one was crap. Again, it was already here; they just gave it a bit of a retheme.

SAM_1476_zpsyeahvbhe.jpg

SAM_1480_zpswedrw8lj.jpg

SAM_1481_zpsej2fvvwt.jpg

The map showed what looked to be a decent water ride. Again, Malaysia’s water ride was actually pretty decent, but this one was just a f**king splash battle, which I didn’t do as everyone was coming off drenched.

SAM_1492_zpsa90tb1xa.jpg

SAM_1484_zpsdamsoxqq.jpg

SAM_1488_zpsmuuk4azk.jpg

Same old s**te as at the other parks; such a piss-poor excuse for a dark ride/shooter:

SAM_1494_zpsdpadwz4l.jpg

SAM_1495_zpszq3j8ymx.jpg

There was a vintage car/safari ride which I didn’t do as you could see the whole thing from offride anyway.

SAM_1497_zpsorffaid6.jpg

This was probably the only time in my, or anyone’s, life that I would’ve given my left nut to be in Stoke or Luton.

SAM_1506_zpsnj6nekro.jpg

The only coaster that didn’t come with the park was this piece of crap, which they’d relocated from Windsor:

SAM_1502_zps01u0pr1o.jpg

They had a couple of shows. This is what Merlin thinks is acceptable for a show in a Florida theme park:

SAM_1509_zpslla27vh4.jpg

The auditorium was stunning:

SAM_1510_zps4pjcohfi.jpg

Another inherited ride, which, like the rest of them, wasn’t up to much:

SAM_1512_zpskl0r0h4a.jpg

SAM_1517_zps52i4nown.jpg

The other show had the potential to be ok. They’ve clearly taken on an existing water ski show as the seating areas were clearly pretty old. I don’t know what it was like before, but it’s f**king s**t now.

SAM_1518_zpscboklaoc.jpg

SAM_1521_zpsrrtbsrtb.jpg

The nicest area was the old Cypress Gardens. Apparently it’s actually still owned by the local government, so f**k knows why you have to pay Merlin to get access to it.

SAM_1523_zps7vzpv9g4.jpg

SAM_1537_zpsrbcmum2z.jpg

SAM_1544_zpsehmmgire.jpg

SAM_1545_zpsxhnb7fu5.jpg

SAM_1552_zpsgxaskle1.jpg

America’s idea of “historic” really does make me laugh.

SAM_1527_zpsvdge5jr2.jpg

Steeped in history right there.

SAM_1554_zpsjxmb3tz6.jpg

Miniland was ok for what it is: a bunch of elaborate Lego models.

SAM_1561_zps9vvkofis.jpg

SAM_1564_zpsfesczygs.jpg

Missing the cred:

SAM_1565_zps0eb71who.jpg

SAM_1566_zpsv1vh48to.jpg

SAM_1573_zpsy3elpxkx.jpg

SAM_1580_zpslhoec1aj.jpg

SAM_1576_zpsvdxtqkej.jpg

SAM_1579_zpsakwg9pnq.jpg

SAM_1584_zpsxuxn8zzu.jpg

This thing had a countdown, making it seem like it was going to do something impressive. The people standing around waiting were less than impressed when a little damp fart of smoke came out the bottom for a few seconds.

SAM_1569_zpssjzcenwp.jpg

It’s annoying to finish this report on an otherwise great trip on such an absolutely s**t park. It’s actually embarrassing that Merlin have had the downright audacity to do such a crappy job of rebranding an already existing park, and to then have the f**king nerve to basically charge Disney/Universal prices for it. The quality is appalling. The rides are pretty much all pre-existing and/or relocated from their other parks, and the whole place is shabby.

Before anyone starts, I’m FAR from anti-Merlin, but this park was just shameful. If they want to enter the Florida theme park market, they’ve gone the wrong way about it. You just can’t get away with old, piss-poor rides, shows, theming and atmosphere and then tell people, based on your pricing, that you’re equal to Disney. Just no.

On the whole though, this was a great trip. I’d pretty much been putting off Orlando because I’m so f**king sick of hearing about the place, and I usually try to combine park and culture trips, so to spend this long just doing parks in an otherwise craphole city isn’t something I’d normally go for. Having said that, it definitely deserves its reputation as the top theme park destination in the world.

It’ll be a few years – and a few major additions – before I’d head back, but I’ve definitely got an appreciation for the place that I didn’t have before, though I still can’t see the appeal of going over and over and over. That’s just me though; I prefer to try and new places over revisiting places I’ve already done.

So, there you have it. It’ll be back to reporting on Chinese s**tholes for a while now!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I agree pretty much totally with your Legoland opinions you'll be over the Moon to hear.

It's pretty ****. The only other Legoland I've been to is Windsor which is much better in comparison. I didn't mind the Florida version while I was there but I realised later it was a pile of w**k, and the smell in the place, ugh all that awful stagnant water, vile.

gavin said:
It’ll be a few years – and a few major additions – before I’d head back, but I’ve definitely got an appreciation for the place that I didn’t have before, though I still can’t see the appeal of going over and over and over. That’s just me though; I prefer to try and new places over revisiting places I’ve already done.
I loved Florida, as you'll know from reading all of my lengthy report but basically what you said. There's so much more out there, I know you're much more experienced in theme parks than I am, so I especially feel that there is so much more to see out there than to return to Florida year after year, even with their couple of pretty decent additions next year (the hyper and polercoaster)...plus culture <3, Florida obviously severely lacks in that.

I'm not getting at people who go with families obviously because it is a great family destination whereas lengthy road trips through the States aren't necessarily the best thing to do!

Loved this report Gavin, looking forward to the usual Asian **** to return :lol:

peep

CF Legend
Finally got round to reading the rest of this report. Fantastic stuff Gavin and most of your ride comments fall in line with how I feel. Love T2:3D though, will actually cry if they remove that. Does usually have smoke, must have just not been pumped out in your screening.

Simpsons is dreadful though, a really awful attraction. California just added the Springfield area though and it looks even better than what they added in Florida.

I'd never pay that much for any Legoland, let alone the one in Florida, so grotesque.

You might be happy to hear that Osaka's harry potter and the forbidden journey is in 3D (or so I've been led to believe). I can't see that working myself.

Still, great report.