What's new

Ferrari Park in Abu Dhabi

andrus

Giga Poster
What is strong ejector then? What does eg Colossos (Heide Park) pull over those first hills? Would be nice to have something to compare with!

As for Rossa, it does look great! Especially now when we know that ther's airtime over the hills :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'd have thought El Toro was around -1g to -1.2g over the hills. I don't know exactly, but strong.

A

Anonymous

I can't remember where exactly we sat in the train when we did the measurements I have on Colossos, but it peaks on around 0.8-0.9 over the first hills.
There is actually very few coasters that goes much beyond -1 g's, the Intamin Mega Coasters also stays "less" than -1 g (there are a few exceptions like the crazy twisty hill on the Mega-Lites), some of the only coasters that I have found to go "lower" than -1 g is T-Express (-1.5 g's on the first drop) and El Toro (just "below" -1 g on a few hills)...

Balder:
Balder-vert.png

El Toro:
ElToro.png

T-Express:
T-Express.png

I didn't have Colossos on my photobucket, but I can upload it as well if you want...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I LOVE the massive spike on the El Toro one, that's got to be the 'insane-ejector-hill' right?

Artichoke

Mega Poster
Seriously... If a Coaster goes 150 mph in 8 seconds... I have to give that **** a go :shock: I've read a lot of reviews about this. Some were bad, and some were good. I'll post my own review when it actually happens.

A

Anonymous

^ Not 8 seconds, 4 :p

Anyway, my brother found some internet today and uploaded:

Formula Rossa

Vertical forces
Formula_Rossa_vert.png

Acceleration forces
Formula_Rossa_acc.png

Didn't bother with the lateral ones since they don't really show anything...

The launch is pretty similar to TTD but about 0.7 seconds longer.

costar

Mega Poster
Just out of interest, what website did those accelerometer plots come from? They're pretty interesting. I didn't realise it goes weightless over almost every hill. It's probably a better ride than I thought. Also interesting to see what happens after the launch in the longitudinals. I can only assume that we are seeing the effect of trims causing the deceleration. When you consider duration as well, those trims probably do more to slow down the train than the final brakes do!

A

Anonymous

They plots come from my brother's accelerometer.
Yeah the deceleration after the launch are the trims up the first hill but they are not as strong as the final brakes though.

costar

Mega Poster
Oh, yeah, I'm guilty of not reading the page before this one where you pretty much explain all about how these reading were taken.. sorry!

Does your brother do any filtering by the way? Or is it just strapped to himself and therefore naturally 'damped' due to not being on a hard surface?

Yes, final brakes are clearly stronger (I should hope so...!), I was just suprised at how much speed it loses due to the trims. It's the "area under the graph" that gives you the change in velocity isn't it.. so you can see that the trims must seriously damage the good work done by the launch! Around a quarter of the speed lost straight away : (

A

Anonymous

The sensor is just strapped to your chest (much like a hart rate monitor) so it's slightly damped compared to the coaster, since none of us are any good of making a software to view the data on them we haven't been able to get some noise reduction built into the program, so that is just the raw data from the sensor.

Yeah the area under the line would be the total rate of change so the trims do quite a bit of damage to the top speed, however it would be really hard to design a coaster to run at those speeds since the turn around would be way too large and the forces may be too much for some...

Xpress

Strata Poster
Looks like it has some pretty good airtime, despite being seemingly slow. Launch looks joyously forceful.