What's new

Favourite UK City

Sandman

Giga Poster
I expect that for many of us enthusiasts, frequently travelling up and down the country can become a common occurrence. Perhaps some of you have to do a lot of travelling for work too. Anyway, I'm wondering what your favourite UK city is.

For me, it's a tossup between Brighton & Hove and Manchester. Both very different environments, but one is just a very quaint place which is probably one of the nicer seasides out there, and I do love my British seaside resorts. The other has lots of nice restaurants, bars and isn't as isolating and unwelcoming as London. I also prefer/relate to the sub-cultures of Manchester more than any other cities, probably because it's the closest major city to me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love Liverpool, though I'm biased as i grew up on the borders. It's got loads of character though.

Also love York and Chester for their history.

I found Newcastle-upon-Tyne to be one of the friendliest cities I've spent time in. I was there on my own a lot when I was 17/18.

Cardiff was okay too i suppose.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ York is gorgeous, I imagine it's what Americans expect of England before visiting and realising that Tesco and Greggs are at the heart of the high street.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Edinburgh probably. Gorgeous place.

I really like Liverpool as well. Nice and compact with some lovely architecture and a great cultural scene (museums, galleries, theatre mostly).

I've got a bit of a love/hate with Brighton. I love it, but the overpriced, treehugger aspect gets on my tits.

Manchester for music/concerts/nightlife, but very nondescript during the day to be honest.

Smithy

Strata Poster
London by a million miles. Absolutely love it.

Wasn't a fan of Liverpool but then it was pissing it down and most places were shut.

York is lovely.

Quite like Milton Keynes.

Birmingham is a **** hole.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
London, Edinburgh and York are my top three.
Although there isn't much to do, I think Sheffield is very nice + there's the peak district on the door <3
I still have yet to visit oxford, bath and Cambridge.

Ben

CF Legend
Well, London, obviously.

It's so unlike anywhere else in the UK and is the only place that can really stand up on an international level.

There's nowhere else like it.

Manchester is a good night out but is **** in the day, um. York is nice I guess? Struggling a bit here cause everywhere apart from London is ****.

Considering I have the coordinates of London tattooed on me, I think it's safe to say that's my favourite place not only in the country, but that I've been to so far in the world. I could go on and on about what I love about it... It has both the big city vibe as well as an old city vibe rich in history, a diverse population, lots of touristy things to do, great pubs, musicals and shows, and in general I would say all the time I have spent there (about 6 months total now) has been the best times of my life. I could literally do nothing all day but walk around and then sit in a park for a while, and it would be a blissful day.

Southend and Blackpool are also awesome, because we don't really have seaside towns over here like those and they're just so fabulous, tacky, and different to what I'm use to.

I just love the UK.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Cambridge. It is my home and I enjoy the mix of history and modern developments. The centre has most things a major city has, but doesn't get horrific crowds that bigger cities get.

I also love York. A nice sunny evening, walking on the city walls to the pub is perfect.

Ketchup

Mega Poster
London in my view is a dump. Yes it has a lot on but ultimately it's fairly ugly and dirty (Although I do concede that is probably the countryside hick in me being naturally biased against it).

Give me Bristol or Brighton over it anyday.

Cambridge and Exeter are also both very nice, albeit much smaller. In all fairness I think the rural areas are the best bits of the UK as unlike continental Europe, most of our cities are fairly mediocre. Meanwhile our countryside is amazingly beautiful with areas like Cornwall, the Lake District and the Jurassic Coast.