Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wild Mouse

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That's a little unfair really though Neal.

Relying on airtime purely when (when it delivers) it does it in a more out of control, brutal, fantastic way than most modern "rated" coasters. That's one of the big "enthusiast tick boxes". It does it better than Balder which is arguably a much duller layout (figure eight) but with less airtime.

Sadly it's only incredible on September the somethingth 2006 at about 7:00 p.m. in a light drizzle. The rest of the time it's just brutal without much airtime and too many slow spots ;)

Also calling it unimaginative when it's one of only three mobious loop coasters in the world and was probably one of the premier layouts in the world for 50 years is a bit harsh on a ride that is over 80...

It's like saying Mike's Nan isn't very sexy any more and negating how hot she was as a late teen through to her fit fifties! It's just a little disingenuous ;)

nealbie

CF Legend
Well, obviously. But why would I post at such length when I knew you'd do it for me (and better) if I posted a sentence. :lol:

marc

CF Legend
cjbrandy said:
Does anyone think that grand national would be better if the track was replaced with steel like new Texas giant? It could have a good pain free run all the time

Nope as I think it's part of what a wooden traditional coaster should be, out of control. Yes it hurts when it runs well, but it's a classic and the last thing we need is classic coasters being made into steal coasters.

There's a coaster at Lightwater that needs that treatment though :)

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I think retracking with steel should be a last resort for the Blackpool coasters. I reckon if grand national was made into a steel hybrid it would be painless but tame and boring

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I couldn't give much of a crap about coaster tradition / classic coasters etc. There's one exception: Grand National.

My favourite coaster there is Wild Mouse, closely followed by Grand National. Yes, it's rough - painful even sometimes - but it's just such a good laugh. I love it.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
That's a little unfair really though Neal.

Relying on airtime purely when (when it delivers) it does it in a more out of control, brutal, fantastic way than most modern "rated" coasters. That's one of the big "enthusiast tick boxes". It does it better than Balder which is arguably a much duller layout (figure eight) but with less airtime.

Sadly it's only incredible on September the somethingth 2006 at about 7:00 p.m. in a light drizzle. The rest of the time it's just brutal without much airtime and too many slow spots ;)

Also calling it unimaginative when it's one of only three mobious loop coasters in the world and was probably one of the premier layouts in the world for 50 years is a bit harsh on a ride that is over 80...

It's like saying Mike's Nan isn't very sexy any more and negating how hot she was as a late teen through to her fit fifties! It's just a little disingenuous ;)

Now I'm a little less tipsy...

I disagree with your Balder point (sort of). Balder has considerably more airtime than even a well running Nash, it's just that (like Colossos) it's airtime you expect going into each element; so whilst there's lots of it, it only feels like the coaster has done its job rather than exceeding expectations and being amazing (I hope that makes sense).

And maybe I was a bit strong to call it unimaginative, limited would have been better. All that Nash CAN do is airtime and interaction with the other train. Nine times out of ten, it doesn't even provide that, which probably only serves to overemphasise its brilliance when it does. A bit like how Susan Boyle shocked everyone when she started singing after coming out onto the stage as an ugly-yokel-hag. :lol:

As a side, I guess I'll never understand the average pain threshold of a coaster enthusiast. Grand National is FAR from painful, along with a lot of other coasters that get similarly slated. The only coaster I've ever found genuinely painful was El Condor (and the Big Apple at Parc St. Paul, but that was my fault for sitting at a silly angle when the ride op put down the restraint and almost broke my leg!).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It took two days and dozens if runs for me on Balder to find any airtime. It never came close to matching my best run on The Nash, even when Balder was being good. I've never understood the love for Balder. I can understand people hating The Nash but can also understand why people think it's brilliant if they generally go l get good runs.

Though I may see both sides if I rode Balder much more frequently.

As for pain? There really needs to be a different topic about that

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wakey1512

Roller Poster
Well it definitely isn't infusionizer. Seeing as I last rode PMBO when it was 9 years old and still pretty smooth and well kept then i'd say PMBO. But if I rode it today I would probably vote Grand National for the originality.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I thought that too! In fact, I'm surprised Blackpool didn't keep it's old 'Traumatizer' name just so they could sponsor it with this:

330ML%20TIZER%20CAN%20PLAIN_FS.jpg

They do love a good fizzy-drink-coaster at Blackpool. I'm surprised they don't have soda fountains installed as well.

My fave Blackpool coaster is Nickelodeon Streak because it's such a ghastly shade of orange.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Im surprised someone voted Avalanche as there favourite. It was **** tbh- a couple of turns and into the brakes. One of the dullest coasters I've rode so far.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think it was me. I love Avalanche - it's fast, feels out of control and had some nice high g's and swooping. It's too short, but a coaster that always makes me smile.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think it was me. I love Avalanche - it's fast, feels out of control and had some nice high g's and swooping. It's too short, but a coaster that always makes me smile.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I haven't been to Blackpool for years but had a look on rcdb after I saw this topic...

What have they done to Rollercoaster.... :-(

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye I quite like Avalanche but it doesn't seem to get much love even from those that regularly visit BPB. Does seem to stop just as it's getting going but it is a decent ride.

And lol Pierre it's to fit in with Nickelodeon Land which tbf is a very bright and colourful place. Personally prefer the garish Orange to the decaying look the Grand National is carrying.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
The out of control feeling was cool but it just pissed me off that I waited 30mins for a ride that seemed to end just as it was getting going like Smithy said.

Smithy

Strata Poster
The laughing clown? Aye can imagine that would grate, fortunately I've never had to queue for it.