What's new

Favorite Simulator

gadv1000

Roller Poster
Figured I would make a thread for this since I haven't seen one yet.

What's your favorite motion simulator style attraction and why?

For me, Orange Team of Mission Space at Epcot is the easy winner for me. Without a doubt the most intense ride Disney has ever created and one of the most intense rides I've ever ridden including all coasters. The feeling of vertically accelerating out of the building is unreal. You don't feel like your spinning, just accelerating. From that, to feeling weightless at times, and the overall interactive experience, makes up all the reasons why I simply can't get enough of this thing. If you can handle the g forces and cramped corners...RIDE IT! You will not be disappointed.

Even if you aren't feeling Orange, Green is still one of the best simulators I have ever ridden and still gives a very satisfying experience. Disney really made sure that when they made a less intense version of the attraction, it was still top notch Disney quality.

Last edited:

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I'd have to second this, the orange feels so real and intense. I think a big reason this ride freaks people out is how claustrophobic the cabins are, it's so cramped which adds to the immersion.

Last edited:

Edward M

Strata Poster
I mean, if Spider-Man at IOA counts, then easily that. I'd say it is a nearly perfect ride.

If it needs to be stationary, Star Tours 2.0 is definitely it for me. It's very good fun. I'm not a big fan of simple simulators though.

gadv1000

Roller Poster
I'd have to second this, the orange feels so real and intense. I think a big reason this ride freaks people out is how claustrophobic the cabins are, it's so cramped which adds to the immersion.
Agreed. Not to mention how the screens and controls come forward and really encase you. You feel like your doing the real thing. Like we both agree, if you can get past the tight spaces and handle the gs, it's fantastic.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I was really impressed by Orange mission at Mission: Space, too. The immersion and feeling of weightlessness and forcefulness on the take-off scene are amazing. I hope they never tame the ride, becaue it's great as it is.

For some reason, I love Soarin' type of simulators. I know that the only point of these attractions is to lift you up in front of a curved screen, but there's something about being up in the air that makes it unique. I am looking forward to riding the European iterations opening this year at Europa-Park and FerrariLand, although neither of them will feature the same lifting mechanism as Disney's Soarin' attractions.

gadv1000

Roller Poster
I was really impressed by Orange mission at Mission: Space, too. The immersion and feeling of weightlessness and forcefulness on the take-off scene are amazing. I hope they never tame the ride, becaue it's great as it is.

For some reason, I love Soarin' type of simulators. I know that the only point of these attractions is to lift you up in front of a curved screen, but there's something about being up in the air that makes it unique. I am looking forward to riding the European iterations opening this year at Europa-Park and FerrariLand, although neither of them will feature the same lifting mechanism as Disney's Soarin' attractions.
Disney already made a tamer version of Mission Space. It's called the Green Team. It's the same exact ride in terms of the actual ride vehicle, movie, and interactive aspects. The only difference is that the centrifuge remains idle, so there is no spinning. Thus, there are no positive g forces executed at all during the experience. It's essentially just a standard motion simulator, and the only thing that moves is the individual ride vehicle it'self. However, after riding Green, I can definitely tell you that it's no kiddie ride. The movement is still pretty intense, and you do get the sensation of flying. You still tip back vertically on the launch and all, except you don't feel like you are accelerating upwards out of the building like you do on Orange. Definitely give it a try next time you're at Epcot. Disney made sure not to disappoint when creating a less intense version of the ride. The Orange Team still exists and is the original version of the ride. Even with the addition of the Green Team, Orange still gets a bit of a longer wait. I love that thing.

As for Soarin', I absolutely loved it too. It's a really neat experience being off the ground and so close to the screen. They spray scents into the theater and blow air as well to make you feel like you are really there. It's a great ride, and I would love to see more of those too.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Disney already made a tamer version of Mission Space. It's called the Green Team.
Thanks for the explanation gadv1000 but I have already been on both teams! :) I prefer the Orange team although it is crazy intense in some sequences... Love it!

Blackhole6670

Roller Poster
Sure there is orange and green mission space, however, I prefer a different kind of simulator.

The simulator that I prefer are Maxflight simulators. These simulators are most commonly found at fun centers or science museums/centers. They are fairly claustrophobic (I am not claustrophobic but I felt cramped).

Maxflight simulators can either be flight simulators or roller coaster simulator. The one that I rode was at the adventure science center in Nashville Tennessee (my home town). The one at my science center is called bluemax. It has the capabilities to be either a flight simulator or a roller coaster simulator (I have ridden both).

Sure there is a giant screen in front of you, but it does show what will happen next (or your view). The only real problem I have with Maxflight simulators is that they can only seat two riders, and most places that have these simulators you have to pay extra to ride. Even if these simulators cost extra to ride, they are so much fun, and are my favorite simulators that I have ridden. You should really ride these simulators!

Below is the simulator at my science center, along with the seat and harness.

623e9b6137a4fa87d134534ad54c37b7.png

4bdf4a116877adc2eab277f92abafb0e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I've been waiting for you to post! :emoji_upside_down:
Mine would be Star Tours because I love the IP and it's a really fun experience.
I also liked the splinter in Body Wars

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I love Gary Sinise: The Ride, I mean, Mission Space.

It's the only 'simulator' I think I actually enjoy? The Flying Theatres are all poo.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, Mission Space quite clearly. I also really like the "Wild" simulators at the Joypolis parks. Flying theatres are gash.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Another vote for Mission Space.

Some Flying Theatres are OK but not amazing. Wings Over Washington was pretty decent, but I'd take Gary Sinise, Spiderman, anything like that over a giant forest projected on a big screen. Oh, and the Ferrari World one is awful.

gadv1000

Roller Poster
To be quite honest, I didn't think that many people would agree with me about Mission Space. Ever since Disney had to deal with all of the health issues it caused back in it's earlier years, I thought it lost a lot of it's popularity and became a very under-rated ride. Ever since then, I feel like it's ridership has declined, but maybe I'm just crazy. I hope more people will give Orange a go, and realize how spectacular that ride really is. There is no other ride anywhere in the world (as far as I know) that can provide the feeling that Mission Space does. Hopefully more people will recognize this and bring back it's popularity. I personally think it's one of (if not THE BEST) attractions Disney has ever created, and easily the most intense, but it seems that Test Track and Soarin' get more of the crowd at Epcot nowadays.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
The only place I've ever done a simulator was at the National Air Force Museum. Pay $10 - $7 depending on which of the three simulators you choose and it goes into an Air Force fighting experience (or any other aircraft simulation).

There's also the experience I had at Wonderworks in Pigeon Forge, TN. It was alright. But it was really just that same old "Space Coaster" show they play pretty much everywhere else.

Lofty

CF Legend
Mission: Space is really good.

Gonna give a shout out to Police Academy at Movie Park, Itlay. It's just obscene - not in a good way. @Ben can vouch for that :D

S

SimonSays99

Mission Space: Orange is really great. Good forces - was on it with a bunch of asian girls who had some trouble coordinating their tasks during liftoff phase...