What's new

Fatality on Kursaal Figure Eight (Southend, UK) 1922

taylov 2007

Roller Poster
I am a newbie and have come to you for help researching a fatal accident that occurred of May 8th 1922 on the "Figure Eight Railway" at the Kursaal Amusement Park which had opened in 1901.

A young man called Jack William Chaplin fell from a car on the "Figure eight" ride and died shortly after from his injuries. He was 23 years old. His Death Certificate states that he was from Walthamstow, North London - an Army Pensioner of no occupation. That does him a disservice for he had served in the last months of WW1 with the Royal Fusiliers and had been decorated in 1918 for "Bravery in the Field" with the UK Military Medal (MM).

Does this incident "ring any bells" with the ride historians on the Forum? It must have been a news item in the press of the day but to date I have drawn a blank.

Tony

nealbie

CF Legend
At the very least the Southend library should have local newspapers dating back to that time archived. You could pay them a visit or phone them up to see some coverage of the fatality. :)

taylov 2007

Roller Poster
nealbie said:
At the very least the Southend library should have local newspapers dating back to that time archived. You could pay them a visit or phone them up to see some coverage of the fatality. :)

Thanks, a pal sent me this -

The Chelmsford Chronicle of 12 May 1922 reports – “ VISITOR KILLED. Jack William Chaplin MM of Mission Grove, Walthamstow, Monday, fell from the Figure Eight Railway in the Kursaal Grounds and was killed. Deceased was on a day’s visit to Southend with some friends.”