What's new

Fantastic old coaster footage/pics

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Somehow I missed the release of this documentary - fantastic work by ACE to chronicle Arrow Dynamics, with amazing video and photo footage! Well worth the hour runtime.

davidm

Strata Poster
Ugh, not happy, had to look at two Daily Mail links today (the other one was reporting on a story that Sale (where I live) is the fourth best place to live in England - thats how much you can trust the DM really ; here is a (non-DM) link to that story should you not believe me).

Anyway, this was just tweeted by JohnnyUpsidedown and has some nice old woodys in it.
(very very sorry about the Mail though)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To be fair, most of the pictures are hardly that startling. Terribly "click-bait-ey" article there.

Still, they're pretty cool photos!

TLARides

Hyper Poster
To be fair, most of the pictures are hardly that startling. Terribly "click-bait-ey" article there.

Still, they're pretty cool photos!
I can honestly agree. The ones I found were from Google.

I just wanted to add to the thread withs some cool historical facts. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Posted to the CoasterForce Chat facebook page, Son of Beast construction.

17952669_10209172477177736_2383742875539285310_n.jpg 17634665_10209172477017732_4501395239103138425_n.jpg 17862844_10209172477057733_6453144255483027230_n.jpg

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Something truely rare here. A brochure from 1984 and Meisho showing off their installations in North Korea at Mangyongdae Funfair.
There's some nice shots of the 3 coasters (all of which still operate today) and even a shot of some 80s westerners enjoying the park.
Click the source link at the bottom of the post for some more.

NK13.jpg
NK12.jpg NK11.jpg NK10.jpg NK9.jpg NK8.jpg NK7.jpg NK6.jpg NK5.jpg NK4.jpg NK3.jpg NK2.jpg NK1.jpg
Source

davidm

Strata Poster
Love this photo of the Big Dipper at Blackpool that the Gazette recently posted for it's 90th anniversary story:

276043895.jpg

@Mysterious Sue - Big Dipper on the beach (like we were talking about yesterday)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Something truely rare here. A brochure from 1984 and Meisho showing off their installations in North Korea at Mangyongdae Funfair.
There's some nice shots of the 3 coasters (all of which still operate today) and even a shot of some 80s westerners enjoying the park.
Click the source link at the bottom of the post for some more.

View attachment 1214
View attachment 1215 View attachment 1216 View attachment 1217 View attachment 1218 View attachment 1219 View attachment 1220 View attachment 1221 View attachment 1222 View attachment 1223 View attachment 1224 View attachment 1225 View attachment 1226
Source
Pulling up RCDB, this park surprisingly seems to have aged ok. Or maybe they spruced things up before letting foreigners snap photos.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So until yesterday I never realised the Wooden Reverser from RCT is actually based off a real design. The Reverser at Saltair in Utah seemed to operare from around 10 years in the early 20th century before it burnt down.

Very ingenious idea. As far as I can tell these are the only 2 pictures that exist online.

Salt1.jpg Salt2.jpg

Attachments

• Salt1.jpg
    Salt1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Salt2.jpg
    Salt2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 17

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Saltair is\was an interesting and unusual park.
A few summers ago when I went to Lagoon, afterward I drove past where the newest version of Saltair is. They use the main building for a concert venue now and that's all that's really left. Also, also.... It had this once https://rcdb.com/3057.htm and if you Google Saltair, you'll find some fun photos of from when the Salt Lake flooded and the resort became somewhat of an island... Like this http://utah.qhover.com/images/saltair-02.jpg

sKrATcher

Roller Poster
on batman circa 1994.jpg

Picture of Sister and I on Batman at SFMM in the early 1990's - even the color scheme has changed, and that ride no longer has a camera.
We'll be flying to SFMM next month and re-live (reride) some memories!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know not as old as some of the stuff here, but this was posted on Facebook and was too wild not to share!

From the YouTube description:
This is probably the oddest roller coaster footage you may ever see - On the day the RCCGB visited this park in 1999, a disgruntled employee wanted to get the sack...and did so by running the Outlaw coaster straight through the station with no brakes, sending it flying through the station, around hairpin bends, and halfway up the lifthill. Apparently the employee (Dennis) managed not only to get the sack, but also added about 5 years wear and tear to the coaster in under an hour. This footage is now legendary, and is something you will probably never see again on any coaster, anywhere. Hold on Tight, and enjoy the ride!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That's fab. The sea somehow looks way to close, it seems further away today.
I'm assuming the foundations have been strengthened since.
They hadn't built the promenade and road by that time. It literally used to be on the beach - then the council put in the sea walls and essentially pushed the beach back.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cool before and after photo set from the old SeaWorld Ohio site - a park trainer was able to visit the location with a number of good photo grabs of iconic views.

Also, the last standing attraction at the Geauga Lake site came down recently - the waterslide tower on the Wildwater Kingdom side. This follows the removal of the Big Dipper last year, the park's iconic 1925 John A Miller woodie.

Peet

Giga Poster
Hi folks, the Britain from Above website has been mentioned on here before but I don't think these pictures of the Pleasure Beach have been posted (or if they have the links are now broken!).

Here we have the Velvet Coaster, Scenic Railway and Switchback Railway in 1920.
Old PBB 5.jpg

Fast forward to 1925; the Big Dipper (original layout) has replaced the Switchback, and the Virginia Reel has been built.
Old PBB 7.jpg

1929 - not much change.
Old PBB 6.jpg

1948 - massive changes since 1929 - the Big Dipper now has its current layout, the Scenic Railway has been replaced by the Grand National, and the Roller Coaster and Zipper Dipper have replaced the Velvet Coaster.
Old PBB 9 (1948).jpg
And 1949:
Old PBB 8.jpg

Here's something I would like to know - can anyone tell me what the huge round building in the middle of the park in the 1920s is? It looks like it was removed some time between 1929 and 1948.