What's new

"Failed" Theme Parks or Attractions

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a project for university in which we want to look at "financial incidents" in the theme park world.
Preferably we are looking for a theme park that had a rough patch at some point in history, but also maybe got out of it. Could also be an attraction within a theme park that didn't go down as well as predicted. Either way we're focusing on the financial side of things and will also be interviewing people of the industry regarding the subject matter.

So, I thought I'd ask you all if you know of any good cases we could look into. We all know about the financial troubles of Disneyland Paris for instance, but it could be interesting to dive into something that has been less covered. Hope it's okay I post this here.

Thanks in advance!

spicy

Giga Poster
All these failed parks have pretty interesting stories.

UK:
American Adventure
Camelot Theme Park

USA:
Six Flags AstroWorld
Hard Rock Park
Geauga Lake

Japan:
Nara Dreamland

There’s obviously the Six Flags New Orleans story which has been covered extensively although that was the flooding more than financial difficulties.

Then failed parks like Universal Studios Dubai are interesting

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Those are great shouts! Thanks everyone!

We're also trying to look into a more positive direction of any cases of individual attractions or additions/expansions, that you could argue have "saved" a park or at least helped them tremendously. Of course such an example totally escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure there must be a few?

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I recently wrote up an extensive Wikipedia article on Dynamic Attractions' SFX Coaster, a model that flopped so hard that it brought down entire singular projects, parks, and even the manufacturer itself; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFX_Coaster

We're also trying to look into a more positive direction of any cases of individual attractions or additions/expansions, that you could argue have "saved" a park or at least helped them tremendously. Of course such an example totally escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure there must be a few?
In only a slight tangent to the SFX Coaster I would say Ferrari World. When the park first opened it was far from satisfactory, with an extremely poor quality collection of attractions outside of their anchor coaster really setting up a dour scene. Thanks to them cleaning house and installing several noteworthy attractions (Flying Aces, Mission Ferrari, etc) as well as Miral investing big in different theme park experiences on Yas Island, it's fair to say that they've definitely improved for the better. Ferrari World and Miral's Theme Park Zone as a whole definitely stepped up from a poorly implemented and shabby ego-stroking indoor park (with the world's fastest coaster) to a centerpiece of one of the world's brightest theme park destinations.

JackFish

Mega Poster
I recently wrote up an extensive Wikipedia article on Dynamic Attractions' SFX Coaster, a model that flopped so hard that it brought down entire singular projects, parks, and even the manufacturer itself; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFX_Coaster

In only a slight tangent to the SFX Coaster I would say Ferrari World. When the park first opened it was far from satisfactory, with an extremely poor quality collection of attractions outside of their anchor coaster really setting up a dour scene. Thanks to them cleaning house and installing several noteworthy attractions (Flying Aces, Mission Ferrari, etc) as well as Miral investing big in different theme park experiences on Yas Island, it's fair to say that they've definitely improved for the better.
That is what I was going to say! If I think of anything else I´ll post it.

spicy

Giga Poster

One that helped a park tremendously is the Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

Park attendance doubled when it opened in 1980 and it can be argued that the Corkscrew not only kickstarted Alton Towers into life but the UK theme park industry in general.

I believe parc asterix have had their most successful year this year with the addition of toutatis. I don't think they were exactly faking before, but they have had record attendance

Windjammer: Lots of issues, lots of of legal battles

Submarine Quest SWSD: Awful failed "dark" ride now being turned into a jellyfish exhibit. Only lasted 4 months if that.