What's new

Ever been on a school trip to a theme park?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Myself and @Jordanovichy went with school to Alton. The day started with the coach driver being unable to find our school. Therefore we arrived late. Think we rode Air, Nemesis and Duel but cannot remember much else.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Ive done 3.

The first one was the LARGEST disappointment because we were originally supposed to do a DC Trip back when I was in 7th or 8th grade, which would have included an entire day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg (back when BBW was still there and I believe was the last operating year for Drachen Fire), but that was scrapped due to 9/11 and the fear of everything - so we went to Kennywood instead (still had fun, but would have really preferred BGW).

2nd was a day trip up to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure for something involving math/physics and whatnot my Freshman year of High School.

3rd was a trip up to Sandusky with the band my Senior year and we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge and did a day trip to Cedar Point as well.

There could have been a potential 4th when i went to Europe with my German Class my Junior Year (Did Germany, Switzerland Italy and I believe Austria) but there was far to little interest in it (it was mentioned during one of the trip planning meetings with the parents, but the actual park wasnt named) so nothing came of it.

So 3 total.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Thorpe Park circa 2004. Karl Young and Joe Bridle were caught smoking weed at the farm and got suspended. Went on Tidal Wave a few times. Tried to act cool and pretend I didn't know the words to every song on WWTP Radio. Desperately held back the urge to hum along to the Colossus soundtrack all day.

Phnatasiland 2005?: No black Mamba or Taron but absolutely loved it. Dragons Fury was one of my favourite coasters at the time, so winjas was an amazing experience. A nice distraction from the devestation of being away from my first ever girlfriend for a whole 2 days who I was convinced was the absolute love of my life.

**** me I was a weird kid.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh my days, we had school trips to Alton Towers every year, sometimes twice a year, and I never missed a single trip. In fact, me and a couple of mates were usually the ones that were late getting back to the coach at the end of the day. Got detention for it once, and a week's worth of litter picking duty for doing it again the following year.
Jesus - the first trip would have been 34 years ago now, 1984! :eek:
For some reason I can remember that it cost £4.50, and that included the coach fare. That was more than 2 weeks pocket money back then.
The journey there was always a ball-ache because Uttoxeter bypass hadn't been built, and getting through the town centre in a big-ass bus used to take about an hour!
First ride I ever went on was the log flume, complete with dinosaurs and the cavemen in the tunnel. The sealions were still there. The Mississippi Showboat was still there. Forbidden Valley and Katanga Canyon didn't exist. Neither did the monorail. What is now the coach car park was the main car park. The Black Hole was brand new... and scary as hell. Blade was down where Enterprise now is and was called The Pirate Ship. Enterprise was up near where Rita now is in The Dark Forest - which was called Festival Park in those days. Ride photographs were 99p.

And you know what else? It was a better day out back then too. :(

Last edited:

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Yarp... Thorpe in what would have been year 10 or 11 (?) and Alton Towers in year 9 I think. Thorpe back then was great, an excellent day out. Alton was always SO BUSY that we hardly got on anything. Although, the year I went my friend broke his toe a few days before and needed a wheelchair to get around. It meant we got disabled passes and WHORED air (recently opened) allllllllll day while everyone else got on nowt.

I was smug.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Did a few Physics Days at Cedar Point when I was in High School (no surprise, since you could see TTD and MF from our school). I already had a reputation as the "roller coaster" guy, so it was fun to throw math/physics equations at the rides.

... unfortunately this reputation had it's fallbacks though; since I had a good sense of the ride statistics already, I pre-calculated a lot of the questions before going on these trips, so that I could focus on having fun with rides, rather than doing math problems. My teachers eventually caught on, and would have me hand in my (completed) packet before entering the park, and swapping me for a fresh set of different questions. :p

On one of these trips, we got stuck in the Mantis brake run due to a mechanical function in the station. While we were on the train for over half an hour, it gave us plenty of time to calculate problems, though the ride position made it a bit awkward.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yes. I honestly dont remember them all, but several trips to KBF and my senior trip in high school was to Disneyland. Also did multiple Disney in middle school. Both parks were 30 mins away at most.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
20180719_103855.jpg Yes20190223_011127-1223x917.jpg
I went to Everland on school trip.
The park was empty.Super flume Thunder falls:NO wait time. wait time says RIDE NOW , and T Express has the most wait time, 30 minutes. So I've ridden it 8 times
with 10~30 minutes.( but front seat: +15 min wait )
And the other roller coasters(kiddy coaster by Vekoma, Custom canyon blaster like arrow looper with vekoma trains),restaurants are EMPTY. So that I've ridden all of the thrill rides there until closing time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180719-104239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180719-104239_Gallery.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
I'm glad Howie replied as I was feeling very old compared to most of the posters. My school used to do a yearly trip to lightwater valley which back then was always fun before I got to tall for the ultimate and they got rid of some of the more fun attractions. Think I went every year between 2000-2003.

Also in 2003 we had a 'physics trip' to Alton Towers where we had to go for a presentation about Nemesis and fill in a worksheet ( which I think I left in the station on one of the rides at the time), had a great day as most on the trip were to nervy to go on Nemesis, Ripsaw, Air and Oblivion so the queues were short all day and me and my friends got some serious riding done. Think the whole trip only cost about £13 at the time

Peet

Giga Poster
My school was about 20 mins drive from Alton Towers, but I only ever went there once on a school trip. I suppose it's so close that most of us just went with our friends during the holidays.
In fact during sixth-form most of the students, including me, had weekend jobs there!
I later once made the mistake of visiting on a week day in July and it was of course completely rammed.
I visited Oakwood last week and it was pretty busy with trips, but it was open till 10pm so we got some good riding in towards the end of the day.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
My school was about 20 mins drive from Alton Towers, but I only ever went there once on a school trip. I suppose it's so close that most of us just went with our friends during the holidays.
In fact during sixth-form most of the students, including me, had weekend jobs there!
I later once made the mistake of visiting on a week day in July and it was of course completely rammed.
I visited Oakwood last week and it was pretty busy with trips, but it was open till 10pm so we got some good riding in towards the end of the day.

whats oakwood like for getting into? is it far from main roads? as its quite a hike for me from tyneside but would love to get on megaphobia

Peet

Giga Poster
whats oakwood like for getting into? is it far from main roads? as its quite a hike for me from tyneside but would love to get on megaphobia
It's easy enough to find by car, close to the A40, but it is a long drive from anywhere! I would recommend the area for a holiday though, we had a week in Tenby just down the road which was very pleasant. If you're thinking of going from Tyneside just for the coasters though you may be better off getting a flight from Newcastle airport to one of the European parks!

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah, I agree with @Peet. Pembrokeshire is a lovely area to spend a week in; lovely beaches, some lovely seaside towns and villages (Saundersfoot is a particular favourite of my family's) and just generally a really nice area! You even have Folly Farm nearby, which is a great day out! It's really developed in recent years and it now has lots of different zoo exhibits and an awesome vintage fairground, amongst other things! If you're into outdoor activities (e.g. go karting, high ropes, that sort of thing), there is also Heatherton that you can visit in St Florence. I'm not into outdoor activities, but there's a great crazy golf course there and an absolutely fantastic escape room, which I really enjoyed! Opposite Heatherton, there's another excellent zoo called Manor House, which is worth a visit if you're in the area. So overall @GeodieCoasterFan, there's quite a few tourist attractions and towns in the Pembrokeshire area that you could tie in with Oakwood to make a superb holiday!

But if you want creds and nothing else, then I'm afraid the only other theme parks of note that I can think of in Wales besides Oakwood are GreenWood Forest Park (home to Green Dragon, the world's only people powered rollercoaster) and Barry Island Pleasure Park. But if you're OK to travel to Wales, then Megafobia is a fantastic wooden coaster with bucketloads of airtime; probably the best airtime coaster in the UK, in my opinion! This is prior to riding Icon, though. If you ask me, Speed is also a really great and very underrated Eurofighter, with some lovely intense moments and a surprisingly good airtime moment at the start! Quite smooth, too, with only a minor rattle, in my opinion!

However, the only time I've been to Oakwood in recent years (i.e. since I became an enthusiast in 2013) was on the aforementioned school trip at the beginning of the thread. I went with my family about 8 years ago, but couldn't go on many big rides at this point. Unfortunately, when I asked if we could revisit Oakwood on a future Pembrokeshire holiday, their response was a very blunt no.
P.S. Sorry for long, off-topic post.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I've been on two. The first was a 7th grade end of the year trip to Michigan's Adventure...which is honestly the perfect park to do such a trip. The other was the 8th grade class trip to Cedar Point.