What's new

Eurosat 2.0 - Refurbishment - Europa Park

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
A look at the new switch track between normal station, VR station and maintenance bays.

Also Looopings has reported that this project cost €30 million.

Must say from what I've been reading on other forums and social media: the new queueline and station is universally agreed to be amazing. The old Eurosat robot even makes an appearance in the queue.

However the reaction to the actual coaster theming seems to be rather mixed. With criticism aimed the lack of it in places, its quality (cheapness) and how in some people's opinion it doesn't really convey the concept of a night flight over Paris. (Then of course there are fans who just miss the old space theme)

I'm intrigued to ride it one day to see what the experience is like. I was never much of a fan of Eurosat before, so the change doesn't really bother me.

Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of anyone on here if they've ridden it?

Last edited:

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
A look at the new switch track between normal station, VR station and maintenance bays.

Also Looopings has reported that this project cost €30 million.

Must say from what I've been reading on other forums and social media: the new queueline and station is universally agreed to be amazing. The old Eurosat robot even makes an appearance in the queue.

However the reaction to the actual coaster theming seems to be rather mixed. With criticism aimed the lack of it in places, its quality (cheapness) and how in some people's opinion it doesn't really convey the concept of a night flight over Paris. (Then of course there are fans who just miss the old space theme)

I'm intrigued to ride it one day to see what the experience is like. I was never much of a fan of Eurosat before, so the change doesn't really bother me.

Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of anyone on here if they've ridden it?
See my post on the previous page I rode it yesterday.

Honestly after the stunning opening event all I can say is the ride must have been a huge anti climax for the VIP's. I'm sure the Mack's would have thought the same and will look to improve it in the near future.

I'm not convinced it's completely finished, there were workers on the roof of the building throughout the day and a wooden fence inside the queue after where the escalators used to be - in fact someone appeared with a tape measure and clip board measuring the panels whilst we were waiting. Perhaps the fire a few months ago set them back a few weeks which would be understandable.

Tbf its really good fun and the on ride audio and general soundtrack is amazing. But it should be so much better than it is.

Rob 92

Roller Poster
See my post on the previous page I rode it yesterday.

Honestly after the stunning opening event all I can say is the ride must have been a huge anti climax for the VIP's. I'm sure the Mack's would have thought the same and will look to improve it in the near future.

I'm not convinced it's completely finished, there were workers on the roof of the building throughout the day and a wooden fence inside the queue after where the escalators used to be - in fact someone appeared with a tape measure and clip board measuring the panels whilst we were waiting. Perhaps the fire a few months ago set them back a few weeks which would be understandable.

Tbf its really good fun and the on ride audio and general soundtrack is amazing. But it should be so much better than it is.

I'm intrigued as to what interior ride theming was to be expected on a dark coaster that is already very limited in space? I was expecting 2D cut out style theming all along as this tends to work fairly well for dark coasters.

I'll wait and see what it is like myself later in the year though. It's not as if Eurosat was full of theming before!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Yeah, what exactly are people expecting them to do inside?? Take a look at Rock’n’Rollercoaster, or revenge of the mummy, those are exactly the same, and that is from a company that spends a huge amount on their rides.

The lift hill music kicks me right in the nostalgia <3

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I'm intrigued as to what interior ride theming was to be expected on a dark coaster that is already very limited in space? I was expecting 2D cut out style theming all along as this tends to work fairly well for dark coasters.

I'll wait and see what it is like myself later in the year though. It's not as if Eurosat was full of theming before!
Well it was advertised as a flight over Paris, and going by the external theming and high standards set by EP I expected better.

It's littered with tacky looking flourecent painted boards, and long sections of darkness in between.

Sure they're limited to what they can do in terms of themeing but they could do a lot more with strobes/lasers/firework effects to match the high tempo and fun of the on board music.

Matt N

CF Legend
I personally think that this looks lovely! I particularly like the Eiffel Tower illusion on the lift hill!

Ireeb

Mega Poster
On old Eurosat, we had special effects and real theming. Different kinds of lasers, asteroids, and the light tunnel. The new one is: Cardboard. Cardboard. Cardboard. Cardboard. To me that's no theming, it's is pictures of theming. It just looks so artificial and fake. Especially that Eiffel tower in the lift. There would have been enough space for a real structure, but that one was made from cardboard as well. Everything felt cheap and hollow. Didn't like the soundtrack either, it's just a medley of boring melodies I have heard way too often before.
To mention something positive: The new trains are very comfy, the ride is very smooth, the trainsitions were improved, and the addition of a few additional small drops/airtime pops made the ride even more fun. The last curve has multiple "jumps" that make the whole queue near the station shake, and you can hear how the train is running on its upstop wheels. Found that pretty cool.

Rob 92

Roller Poster
On old Eurosat, we had special effects and real theming. Different kinds of lasers, asteroids, and the light tunnel. The new one is: Cardboard. Cardboard. Cardboard. Cardboard. To me that's no theming, it's is pictures of theming. It just looks so artificial and fake. Especially that Eiffel tower in the lift. There would have been enough space for a real structure, but that one was made from cardboard as well. Everything felt cheap and hollow. Didn't like the soundtrack either, it's just a medley of boring melodies I have heard way too often before.
To mention something positive: The new trains are very comfy, the ride is very smooth, the trainsitions were improved, and the addition of a few additional small drops/airtime pops made the ride even more fun. The last curve has multiple "jumps" that make the whole queue near the station shake, and you can hear how the train is running on its upstop wheels. Found that pretty cool.

Europa-Park have said over the weekend that the theming they had planned was too heavy to hang up, so they had to put up some lighter theming very late on. They are not happy with it at all yet, and changes will be made over the coming weeks and months, especially once the park has closed for the season.

It is a pity that the light tunnel was not retained, some red/white light effects would have worked well!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Recently Can Can Coaster has been running with its lights/effects turned off.
And while I've not seen any official confirmation from the park; a number of fansites are reporting that due to the negative response and backlash to the onride theming it will continue to operate as a dark coaster until the Winter season.
Presumably the project team will work on a solution in time for Winter.

There are also reports that the single rider queueline has now been closed due to it being used by too many groups of people.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I heard the lighting is working again now and the soundtrack properly works in sync with the ride now (It also did when I rode it, but I heard that it often did not. This doesn't change anything about the fact that I hate the new soundtrack. The old soundtrack was one of the main reasons why I loved Eurosat. Without it, it's just "meh" to me.)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
These leaked pictures show some of the new theming that are being added. The ride did feature the windmill and arc de triomphe previously however these are new more detailed/textured and less cartoony versions than last year's.
D196zIyWkAYd0Mn.jpg

D196zIvXcAAUmmy.jpg

D196zI0WkAAT0Ke.jpg

D197MnRXgAAy1ne.jpg

D197MnfW0AA4c-A.jpg

D197MnVWwAEuVao.jpg

Ireeb

Mega Poster
So the theming was temporary, but the cardboard is here to stay?
Inside Eurosat, everything is already very tight if you take safety clearance into account, and they have to make sure it doesn't get too heavy either. The dome which is made from fiberglass is self supporting but can't carry a lot of additional weight, and as far as I know the floor inside Eurosat is made from wood, so that doesn't carry infinite amounts of weight either (especially as there is another attraction below it). That's why "cardboard" (Patrick Marx told me on twitter it's not actually cardboard) is pretty much the only option to get theming in there as it is thin and light.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The Europa Park Blog has a new article about the new theming inside the Can Can Coaster.

9557988d1553445049-2018-renovierung-retracking-eurosat-europa-park-7d94f202-6204-4c5b-9907-3146edcb9a6d.jpg

From the outside, the work on the "Eurosat - CanCan Coaster" seems to be completed - but what nobody sees is that inside the globe work is continuing! There we meet Eugen Schramm and his colleague Thomas Klukas. As a black light painters they are responsible for perfecting the roller coaster experience.

The French theme area shines in new splendor since the end of September. Now, the Moulin Rouge welcomes its visitors with music, dancing and lavish parties! Passengers leave the station, rise up in the elevator tower slowly through the evening Paris in the starry sky. From there begins the rapid fall into the nightlife of the metropolis, past hot air balloons and through the arch of the Arc de Triomphe.

With great attention to detail, the individual parts were painted - as here the Arc de Triomphe.
5-1024x682.jpg

But all this takes place in absolute darkness - this is exactly where Eugen Schramm and Thomas Klukas come into play. The two UV painters are responsible for illuminating the nightly Paris in bright colors. For this they have painted for weeks in their Cologne company with great attention to detail: stars, clouds and even entire building pictures. Among them are Parisian landmarks such as the famous Notre Dame Cathedral, which appears in rich blues and yellows while appearing almost surreal. Colour selection is an important part of the overall concept, as Eugen Schramm explains:
"We wanted to arouse a sense of nostalgia and romance through the paintings. Most people associate this exaggerated comic style with blacklight painting, we did not want that."
3-1024x648.jpg

Each motif was sketched in advance by the artists on cardboard boxes and provided with their own colour palette.

Without the appropriate lighting, the images appear dull and muted. However, when you apply ultraviolet light to the paintings, they shine rich colours. The two artists tell us that they have specialized in painting with UV inks since 2013 and have developed their own palette over the last few years, which allows them a realistic and, above all, detailed design. Her various assignments have even taken Schramm and Klukas to Dubai and Innsbruck, where they helped design the Visual Museum. The most exciting project of their career, both agree on this, however, is the "Eurosat - CanCan Coaster". Schramm raves:
"I love roller coasters more than anything. And the idea of being part of the design of a rollercoaster immediately fascinated us. Later, visitors will literally fly through the images we have created. That's just great! "
4-1024x703.jpg

The fact that the two have so much passion for their work is visible in every detail. For them it is important to make the experience a visual pleasure for the visitors. In addition to the artistic growth, there will also be a seventh train in the "Eurosat - CanCan Coaster" from this season onwards. Thus, even more visitors are attracted by the intensive pictures, of which Klukas and Schramm have made almost 100 individual pieces - each a small work of art in itself. Of course, such work does not occur overnight. Already in November last year, the painters started their work, but the ideas had developed long before.

"We could not help it. When you receive the request for such an assignment, your head is bubbling with ideas. These pictures have occupied us day and night."
For a month Klukas and Schramm were now on site in the "Eurosat - CanCan Coaster" to carry out the last paintings in the reel. Daniel Kerscher, designer at Mack Solutions was happy to announce that they can implement their countless ideas in Europa-Park. The pictures were created in close cooperation between designers and artists. Daniel Kerscher has made exact sketches for this.
Kerscher remembers when he had the first trials in hand, was immediately clear: "They know exactly what they do. We want to immerse the visitors in the lifestyle of the "Belle Époque".
The new paintings will make this experience perfect, that Kerscher is sure of.
2-1-1024x648.jpg

Source

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Rode CanCan Coaster last week and it's an absolute treat. There's a lot of theming and detail in the queue and station (near the end of the queue you go past a load of doors reading things like director, dancers, etc. Behind the 'orchestra' door you can faintly hear brass instruments playing, it's such a well thought out detail.)

Once the ride gets going it feels a bit cred in a shed but the lighting is done well so as not to illuminate the track and theming you're not supposed to see yet. It feels as fast and intense as Eurosat did but glossy smooth. I worried before riding that it may not feel as fun and out of control but that's certainly not the case plus its nice not having to brace yourself for the last few corners on this iteration.

Overall it's a great addition to the park and once the huge queues die down it will settle nicely into the parks lineup. The theming on this and Voletarium are such a huge step up from the rest of the park, it makes me very excited for the two new dark rides coming in the next year.

The new Dinosaur ride next door is also amazing, it's gone from the worst dark ride in the park to the second best after Arthur for me.