What's new

Epcot | Frozen Ever After | Themed indoor boat ride

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Walt Disney World is replacing Epcot's Maelstrom attraction with a new attraction featuring "Frozen". Maelstrom ends its run on 5. October (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/at...14Q4FrozenAttractionComingtoEpcot000812-09-14) and the Frozen attraction is to open by 2016. It is widely expected that the new attraction will feature characters from Frozen visiting Norway, thus keeping the theme integrity of the Norway pavilion intact. This also keeps the door open for yet another, Frozen-themed attraction to still come in the future to Walt Disney World, possibly in one of the other theme parks at the resort.
That didn't take long: Walt Disney World is bringing an attraction based on the Frozen film to Epcot.

According to the Disney Parks Blog, Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, said the company is "starting construction at Walt Disney World Resort on a brand new Frozen attraction at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. The new attraction, which replaces Maelstrom, will take our guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film."

The film has been a mega blockbuster for Disney spinning off into meet ’n' greets, shows, hit songs — you know, that "Let It Go" jam on the radio — and so much more.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...lacing-epcots-maelstrom-with-frozen-ride.html

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Re: Epcot | unknown | Frozen themed attraction

Hmmm, mixed opinions on this one. I really like Maelstrom, but I can't but feel it is a little dated so it could be in need of a re-theme and given how popular Frozen was/is it was bound to happen in one of the parks somewhere. But having said that is this another quick fix? Probably but hopefully it'll be great...just like Frozen.

Not opening until 2016 though. That's a long time, long enough for Frozen to become 'old'...although I did hear rumours of a Frozen 2 which could keep the thing alive.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Highly disappointed with this. Maelstrom is Inarguably the best ride in the world showcase and Arguably the best ride in Epcot. Is it still unclear if they are just re-theming Maelstrom or tearing the whole thing down and building something else in the space?

marc

CF Legend

No one knows 100% but by all accounts the ride it staying and it's just a re theme.

The show at the end is going and will be replaced.

No one bothers with the ride anymore hence the change.

I was mixed as well but at the end if the day it makes sense and Epcot needs updating.

Frozen will still be big in two years other films are 40 years old and people still love them.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Hard to believe they'll pay for anything more than a Frozen overlay of Maelstrom since Norway won't be footing the bill.

...and the lines will go from the typical under five minutes to over two hours... big success.

marc

CF Legend
Epcot | unknown | Frozen themed attraction

^Yep and that's the problem, 5 min queues and having to send empty boats costs them money.

I thought maelstrom was crap anyway and the last two trips did not bother with it.

The stories about frozen 2 are way off the mark. They are working on a short film like they did was tangled and a stage show, no second film though.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Jordanovichy said:
Hmmm, mixed opinions on this one. I really like Maelstrom, but I can't but feel it is a little dated so it could be in need of a re-theme and given how popular Frozen was/is it was bound to happen in one of the parks somewhere. But having said that is this another quick fix? Probably but hopefully it'll be great...just like Frozen.

Not opening until 2016 though. That's a long time, long enough for Frozen to become 'old'...although I did hear rumours of a Frozen 2 which could keep the thing alive.

Kind of like building Harry Potter with 1 movie left and making a multi million dollar expansion after the series was done?

Frozen is pretty much a certified classic, every American kid will watch this along with Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, etc...

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

rtotheizzo17 said:
Kind of like building Harry Potter with 1 movie left and making a multi million dollar expansion after the series was done?

Touché. I hadn't thought of that one to be fair :p

If I'm honest Frozen is so huge I can't see it dying out. I'm sure Disney have many many plans to turn other things into Frozen attractions :D

peep

CF Legend

Details have been pretty sparse on this one.

I've not looked at those links yet but I was watching a goon talk thing and they mentioned that this new Anna and elsa meet and greet will be a large new building which is a first for Epcot (new building designed specifically for Disney characters). Doesn't sound like it's a popular decision (amongst goons) but I'm sure it'll go down a treat with regular guests.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Uh... bump?

Just got back from visiting my cousins who work at the Norway pavillion at EPCOT. One of them was a ride op at Maelstrom for a year until the summer of '14, but for their second period at Disney, both of them work at the Akershus restaurant. Just passing by the word of mouth from them both:

- The Frozen Village is due to open in April or so. It's almost finished, and can be seen pretty clearly poking over the top of the fences. Until then, Anna and Elsa can be met hanging around the Norway Pavillion, or at the restaurant. There is a Frozen exhibit in the stave church, which once housed a viking exhibit.

- The new ride leans heavily on Maelstrom's framework. It will probably be another boat ride, or at least follow Maelstrom's track in some capacity. The facade will get an overhaul, and the themeing will probably change quite a bit. That embarrassingly outdated movie about Norway will probably be swapped.

- It's unknown if Norway will help foot the bill. It is evident that Disney makes more than enough money to afford it without any help, so the state is reluctant to shell out for it (just so Disney can make even more money). As my cousin put it (paraphrased), they can pay the wages for eight staff members for an hour with the net profits off ONE meal served in the restaurant (not taking tips into account). Akershus restaurant is probably one of the most profitable ventures in Disney World, due to its high prices, high capacity and ever-present long lines.

Lofty

CF Legend

From what I heard, Disney got the back of the Norwegian Government up by overhauling their designated area to a fictitious IP product and at that point Norway said they didn't want be involved anymore? That's all hears'y, but it was a popular rumour that probably has some backbone to it.

In regards to the ride itself, I don't think ANYTHING will be left from the ride (in terms of the majority of the theming, the movie etc.), why would they? They're clearly spending a fortune on the ride and it's been down (and will be) for quite some time now.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Frozen isn't even set in Norway, it's a fictional town/land so can't see why the country would want to be involved! That would be pretty cheeky of Disney to ask for money to help with their current juggernaut of a money spinner IP that they are clearly going to make bucketfuls from! I think the whole country funding thing is a bit outdated now. The internet allows for better tourism advertising nowadays.

As much as I think it will be a nice ride I dislike how it mucks up the world showcase! A sign of future country plans to come maybe?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^Although I don't really like Frozen, the town of Arendelle is based off of the Norwegian town of Arendal, which is southwest of Oslo.

Lofty

CF Legend

'Based of of', but it is a FICTIONAL place. You really don't get the point we're trying to make do you?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

But by a business standpoint, it makes the most sense to put it in Norway. Frozen is the most popular Disney Movie, and Epcot is (one of) the least popular WDW parks. To get more people to go to Epcot, they put Frozen in Epcot. Norway is where it's based off of, so they put it there. They already had something in Hollywood Studios, it wouldn't work in Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom is already too crowded.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

GuyWithAStick said:
^Although I don't really like Frozen, the town of Arendelle is based off of the Norwegian town of Arendal, which is southwest of Oslo.

Not at all, apart from the name!

There are towns looking somewhat like Arendelle - Lærdal springs to mind, with its stave church and picturesque mountains, but the Bergen harbour is also very clearly expied in the movie - but Arendal is clearly not among them. Arendal has a church and is located next to water, but so does pretty much every other Norwegian town ever built.

That being said, the landscapes, clothing style and architecture of Frozen are taken straight from Norway, though somewhat exaggerated. The movie had a noticeable impact on tourism over here.

At EPCOT, the Frozen attraction will be housed in the same building as Maelstrom, which also houses offices and a restaurant, but it appears it will be heavily refurbished. The Frozen village appears to lean architecturally on the existing buildings of the Norway pavillion too, so I don't see it as detrimental to the showcase. I'll ask my cousin for some pictures, he has backstage access so he might be able to get some shots from unusual angles.

Lofty

CF Legend

GuyWithAStick said:
But by a business standpoint, it makes the most sense to put it in Norway. Frozen is the most popular Disney Movie, and Epcot is (one of) the least popular WDW parks. To get more people to go to Epcot, they put Frozen in Epcot. Norway is where it's based off of, so they put it there. They already had something in Hollywood Studios, it wouldn't work in Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom is already too crowded.
By a business standpoint from Disney's point of view - on the flip side, you can understand why the Government of Norway would be pissed off about it. That's what we're saying and you're repeating your argument but not seeing the point of view of what we are trying to say, we're not disagreeing with you in terms of this being the best place to attach the new area/ride, we're saying that we get why Norway may be pulling out their sponsorship.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Lofty said:
GuyWithAStick said:
By a business standpoint from Disney's point of view - on the flip side, you can understand why the Government of Norway would be pissed off about it. That's what we're saying and you're repeating your argument but not seeing the point of view of what we are trying to say, we're not disagreeing with you in terms of this being the best place to attach the new area/ride, we're saying that we get why Norway may be pulling out their sponsorship.

True, though my understanding was disney wanted more money from norway and when they refused to pay it disney announced they'd be turning it into frozen.