Change background image

Energylandia | Zadra | RMC I-Box

Discussion in 'Roller Coaster Construction' started by pawel98123, Oct 27, 2018.

1. JoshC.

JoshC. Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    A local news article: https://gazetakrakowska.pl/park-rozrywki-w-zatorze-wichura-tutaj-tez-narobila-szkod/ar/13954031

Matt N and Hixee like this.
  2. pawel98123

pawel98123 New Member

Best Coaster:
    Hyperion
    Best Park:
    Energylandia
    I also doubt that it is Energyland's fault and that they built too fast ... The construction was not finished, no wonder it was less durable. The wind was blowing at over 100km / h .

[​IMG]
    These places have been destroyed, the first two are already cleaned (counting from the left). The worst is with the highest point. The good news is that they have insurance (information from one of the forum users)

Here are the new Photos
    https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=157305318

JuliOverbank, Matt N, Pear and 4 others like this.
  3. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Okay, well I guess "phew" in the sense that that would probably be considered exceptional circumstances.

Yoris Kerkhoff likes this.
  4. UP87

UP87 New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    It definitely shouldn't. But the coaster supports are not engineered to be standing without the track. Especially when extreme forces like a storm get thrown into the mix. It's just an unfortunate event at the wrong time.

The pictures at skyscrapercity look really bad :(

5. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Agreed. Kind of. The final structure relies on the track being in place - absolutely - but in the temporary case the structure should be self supporting (otherwise how do you build it safely - in one day?!).

Totally agree that this looks like an perfect storm situation (excuse the pun).

6. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Mr CoasterForce 2016

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    This is the biggest reach for an 'i told you so' I've ever seen. This has literally nothing to do with the rate at which the parks expanding!

Wind loads are awkward especially when its for a non typical structure dependent on phasing. Doesn't excuse anyone though, but as @Hixee said its likely a perfect storm multiple variable design condition scenario, definitely not Gods wrath for Energylandia getting too many creds.

7. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Supporting this. I would guess the same Eurocode standards apply in all those cases, so if you know those rules hold true for the UK, they should hold true for Poland too.

8. Antinos

Antinos Slut for Spinners Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    I'll agree with you but mostly with regard to a steel coaster. We've all seen the crane dance when Valravn, Yukon Striker, and other tall, modern steel roller coasters were built - each piece of those rides works together to keep the ride standing. Wood is a bit different though - especially a ride with a structure as thick and dense as this though. Yes, the running rails will ultimately add a bit of strength - they're technically another support beam in the structure...but they're one of hundreds. The structure as we saw it a few days ago should have been so statically indeterminate that one beam failing shouldn't have had any effect on the rest.

The structure as a whole looked quite well designed, but the weak point of any sort of assembly like this are the fastening interfaces which we just haven't seen a close photo of. But RMC should be familiar with high load mitigation in massive roller coasters...I won't suggest that it was constructed wrong, but...it was probably constructed wrong.

9. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    Well this is :emoji_poop:.

10. pawel98123

pawel98123 New Member

Best Coaster:
    Hyperion
    Best Park:
    Energylandia
    Remember also that there are always people from the RMC on the construction site ... So everything was definitely done as it should

11. Snoo

Snoo Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    You say that now but I've said it for a while. This may be reaching but if :emoji_poop: like this keeps happening.. crow shall be eaten. I still have massive concerns over many things with this park in general. You could argue staff management is still getting their sealegs and teething issues will happen but not to the tune of a death of an employee and a multi million dollar attraction straight up blowing over in the wind. I don't accept that is near the realm of ok, especially for a park of this side with this much ambition.

I love me some RMC but they can make mistakes as well.. and if the park is pressing the company to build faster then they should..

Coaster Hipster likes this.
  12. tomahawk

tomahawk Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    Remember when Outlaw Run was being built and everyone here was saying it was gonna fall over?

Whoops.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Antinos likes this.
  13. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Good before/after shot from someone on Reddit. They may have lost most of that structure, if the upper section has compromised the lower sections.

[​IMG]

What a mess.

14. UP87

UP87 New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    I'd assume that the upper structure damaged a lot of what lies below. Even if it didn't you'd have to check and verify that. It might be quicker and more secure to tear it down and rebuild it. Unfortunately my guess would be that everything will take quite a while since the insurers want to take a look at everything.

Snoo likes this.
  15. Matt N

Matt N Member

Best Coaster:
    Mako (Orlando)
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    Could this mean that opening has been set back to its original 2020 target?

16. Snoo

Snoo Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    The more I see these photos, the more I think of Son of Beast when it went down. Crazy how it dropped though. You would think if something had the CHANCE to collapse, youd avoid it right?

Coaster Hipster likes this.
  17. pawel98123

pawel98123 New Member

Best Coaster:
    Hyperion
    Best Park:
    Energylandia
    good news: engineers from RMC are already doing expertises.

Sad to watch ...

Yoris Kerkhoff and CrashCoaster like this.
  18. TheCoasterCruiser

TheCoasterCruiser Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Gröna Lund
    Coaster Count:
    Are you serious? We've just established that there was a storm blowing chimneys off houses and you're suggesting that maybe the park pressed RMC to build the coaster too fast and that's why it collapsed? You must know a lot about the inner workings of Energylandia, to be able to jump to your conclusions like that. Pretty impressive.

pawel98123 likes this.
  19. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Well, the coaster is on the ground, so something evidently went wrong.

Also, it's really strange for such an airy structure to be felled by wind like that. There are no large surfaces to catch the wind, or loosely hanging stuff that can act as "sails" (like the leaves on a tree). Shouldn't the wind just pass straight through it?

...then again, that very assumption might have been made by the designers, and the result is the pile of lumber we're seeing here.

20. JuliOverbank

JuliOverbank New Member

Best Coaster:
    Wildfire - Kolmarden
    Best Park:
    Europapark
    Although there are big gaps in such a wooden structure, all the wood together is quite a big surface. Much more than the steel supports of a coaster like Hyperion, where you can see through easily, which is not the case with wooden coasters

pawel98123 likes this.