What's new

Efteling Expansion + New Coaster

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Im finding it hard to see past the Launch Coaster argument as it would compliment the current line up the best IMO. As said above i have no doubt in my mind that Efteling wont scrimp when it comes to this, expecting something rather huge given the money spent on Baron and Symbolica in recent years.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly, if they chuck Symbolica levels of money and themeing at it, and have a minimum of sense of quality, even a family/kiddie coaster would be pretty spectacular. I'm a little hyped already!

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'm all for the launch coaster hypothesis, my only qualm (which isn't much of a qualm) would be that they are popping up everywhere at the moment and it would be nice to pave way for something slightly different. A Bermuda Blitz doesn't seem as significant compared to the likes of a Mack/Intamin launch or some form of B&M beast, but a high end model with a custom layout would garner plenty of attention, especially with the right theme and packaging.

A custom mega-lite would also be pretty sweet at Efteling. There's only one in Europe and that's fairly unknown to most people, and it can be marketed towards a wider spectrum than just pure thrillseekers, which is something that I think Efteling have managed to do even with their "bigger" rides. My money will probably go on an invert or launch though.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
A 164ft tall "extensively decorated" Efteling coaster is all I can think about! The worst thing about Baron and Vliegende is the coaster itself, so I'm hoping they can get it right with this one.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Honestly, I could see them getting an Outlaw Run sized RMC. Think, if they're going to spite Bob, or even anywhere else, the dense woodland of the park would be a gorgeous backdrop for such a ride. And they're clearly not scared of going down the more thrilling route with something like a B&M dive machine.

Whatever it is we know it's going to be ridiculous, so I'm excited!
Yess, quick send this to Efteling! RMC RMC!

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster
A custom mega-lite would also be pretty sweet at Efteling. There's only one in Europe and that's fairly unknown to most people, and it can be marketed towards a wider spectrum than just pure thrillseekers, which is something that I think Efteling have managed to do even with their "bigger" rides. My money will probably go on an invert or launch though.

I feel a mega-lite is dead atm =(. Intamin tend to do this where they sell a load of one model over a few years then they seem to just dissapear for a while. Although we've seen a renaissance of the old multi-looper layout with an improved lift and restraints so who knows, I've love to see a mega-lite v2.

In terms of efteling I'd love to see another B&M, I feel it fits with what they try and achieve with their rides. But being a fan of Baron and B&M I'm a little biased. Maybe they'll be closely looking at what Phantasialand are doing with their flying coaster.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
We seem to have the first official confirmation of a major new attraction in 2020. One of the park's managers in an interview with Efteling magazine Wonder confirmed it. The current park will be enlarged on the east side. A strip of 8 hectares will be added between Vogel Rok and Python. A connecting road that runs along the current boundary will be diverted at the end of 2018 in preparation. Smit calls it "quite special" that a whole new area will soon be developed. "Because in recent decades we have only built new attractions within the contours of the current amusement park, and the expansion itself is an experience, with new paths and gardens to walk around."

They aren't revealing any details of what the area will be like yet however have said that there are a number of plans for the area. The area will be opened up for the first time with the opening of the new area's first attraction in 2020.

k8iy3e.jpg

478reka.jpg

From http://themepark.nl/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/2411365/45.html

- The article doesn't actually mention that the 2020 attraction will be a coaster. But given the previous reports and rumours it most likely will be one.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The area looks absolutely tiny in the picture above, but some quick Google Maps shenanigans suggest you could comfortably fit a coaster the size of Python in there. Maybe even Joris en de Draak could fit in there, diagonally. As the plot is next to the highway and comparatively far from any neighbouring residential areas, I don't think noise or height would be a problem either. All in all a pretty prime location for a ride! Of course, one can't help but wonder what they could build if they utilized all the new land at once...

EDIT: For those who wonder, I did some eyeball measurements of the area compared to Taron's site in Phantasialand, since somebody mentioned a possible Intamin launcher. It'd be a darn tight fit, but I think one could squeeze a similarly-sized ride in on the plot, as long as there was no concern for building anything else there. Of course, coasters are usually designed to suit a plot and not the other way around, so if they wanted to fit a coaster there they probably could do so no matter what. But the space available seems to allow for something roughly as big as Taron, for what it's worth.

Oh, and Taron has a surprisingly small footprint, some 120 x 70 m. You could feasibly fit it inside an association football field. Of course, this also means that groundworks for an area of that size could just imply that they're putting up a football field there, which is decidedly less exciting.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Eh, screw it. Let's spend some time with the measuring tool in Google Earth. All numbers are approximate and may be rounded off, but always rounded up to account to measuring errors.

Idle plot in Efteling: Approx. 120x250 meters*
Standard football field: 90x110 meters
Joris en de Draak: 205x135 meters
Baron 1898: 180x50 meters
Python: 140x50 meters
The east lake in Efteling: 300x150 meters
Taron: 130x60 meters**
Kanonen: 100x30 meters
Balder: 130x65 meters
Helix: 300x120 meters
Standard Vekoma Boomerang***: 85x35 meters
Speed Monster: 250x50 meters
Den Aller Minste: 8x18 meters
Stealth: 150x40 meters
Swarm: 200x90 meters
Colossus: 200x40 meters
Nemesis Inferno: 100x150 meters
Formula Rossa: 560x190 meters
Flying Aces: 180x180 meters
Storm Runner: 180x150 meters
Skyrush: 200x200 meters
Maverick: 200x200 meters
Top Thrill Dragster: 350x40 meters
Mean Streak: 270x120 meters
Duelling Dragons site****: 190x180 meters
Beast (Kings Island): 610x330 meters
Steel Dragon 2000: 750x200 meters

Okay, at the end there I just tried to find coasters with really large footprints, but you get the idea. Most coasters out there are actually vastly smaller than the plot Efteling has set aside for development here. Of course, it'd be hopelessly optimistic to assume that they want to use all of it for one coaster, but they wouldn't really have to unless they're planning a Giga or something with multiple launches in different directions. You could fit pretty awesome things in a third of the space too.

*I have no idea how long the plot is, and the terrain gives no hint either, but it's 120 meters wide and stated to be 3 hectares (30,000 m2) in area, which makes it a matter of simple calculation.
**Still under construction in the Google Earth pictures, so the width is very approximate. The whole construction site is 80 meters or so wide.
***Sampled from Cobra at Walibi Belgium
****Because this question will undoubtedly spring up in that discussion as well.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
So it seems Looopings.nl's claim back in October that Efteling's next attraction would be a big thrill coaster, making use of the new plot of land's 50m height restriction was incorrect.

The Director of Efteling has said the 2020 attraction will be big but won't make you scream and it won't be loud. He promised that as few trees as possible would be cut down. "We are and remain a nature park and we look closely at the existing landscape." It was also said that the new attraction won't look out of place as it will be Efteling themed.
The theme will be 'travelling', and fit into the existing area Reizenrijk (home to Pagode, Vogel Rok and Carnival Festival). An announcement of what type of ride is coming will be made before this summer. https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/efteling-gaat-uitbreiden-en-opent-nieuwe-attractie-in-2020~a73bf047/

Given that the park have said they have a few rides planned for the new plot of land I can imagine a coaster being added there a later date.

But what will the 2020 ride be? The words used in the interview made me think Flying Theatre. Personally I would prefer some sort of family coaster with dark ride sections though. Or a large water ride. (but then again people do scream on family coasters and water rides....)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'd love to see Efteling get a log flume. It's always something that stood out as missing to me, and it'd be a great fit for that area - especially if they did a mixture of indoor and outdoor sections.

Though yeah, something like a Flying Theatre also seems to fit the bill..

peep

CF Legend
The theme will be 'travelling', and fit into the existing area Reizenrijk

That's interesting. I thought I read somewhere this new parcel of land was to create a new area? (could have totally been me mis-reading or mis-translating).

Isn't the new area full of trees? If so I can't imagine a flying theatre as they tend to be pretty big and it'd go against the other comment that they won't remove too many trees. I'm really curious as to what they're getting. I'd love to see them get a log flume, it's certainly a staple attraction missing from their ride line up.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
A rumour has appeared on Themepark.nl, posted by Eftelflags, that attraction 2020 will be a new family coaster with a gimmick - possibly a turntable of some kind?
The coaster would have a circus theme.

Mention of a circus theme is giving me horrific visions of Carnival Festival.
Although as this meant to be part of the same themed area I guess it would fit...