Efteling | Symbolica | ETF Rides Trackless Dark Ride

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Symbolica at dusk :emoji_heart_eyes:
DCjNsBOXYAAl8bB.jpg

source: @quirijnvd

Ethan

Strata Poster
Lighting and theming of this thing look fab. However the one thing I still can't get behind is the building facade itself... It looks a lot less impressive and awe-inspiring than I thought it would! Maybe it's because the original Hartenhof design was bigger and much more impressive, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the outside of Symbolica :(

The inside however looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the ride in action when it opens!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I know it's a Mystic Manor rip off, but it's still obscene
DC1aRhhXkAQvDjY.jpg

There seems to be three "tours" Music tour, Heroes tour and treasure tour.
DCqzCYyXUAAB7kw.jpg

The park recently released a commercial, which briefly shows the ride in motion. Amazing!

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'm sure it's better in person, but from the videos I've see, it looks a little... Awkward?

I love parts of it like the first scene in the planetarium and the conservatory room with the screens on the wall, but the soundtrack and (what looks to be a) lack of storyline just make it seem a little stale and awkward to me. Annoying as I love Efteling, so maybe I shouldn't judge without seeing it for myself.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
TBF, judging by this onride video, the whole concept looks a tad too reminiscent of Mystic Manor, although this version lacks the amazing soundtrack and good story-telling that the Disney dark ride has.

Pretty but a bit WTF, just like most other dark rides at Efteling. Random magic and fairies everywhere.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Seems like most of the reviews are positive, but some people had their expectations way too high I think. I never expected it to be better than Droomvlucht and Fata Morgana and now people are surprised that it's (apparently) not. My expectations have always been managable so I think I'll really enjoy it. Those reviews that complain about the lack of story makes me wonder though, if they could explain the story of Droomvlucht to me... When has that ever been a problem? All in all, seems like a very decent addition to Efteling without being anything mind-boggling.

Lofty

CF Legend
I really don't think people are expecting too much - the friend that I know has been on it didn't really expect much (it is Efteling after all) and he still left somewhat confused by the whole experience. Some people like Efteling and what they do, some don't, but by saying that some people had too high expectations is completely derogatory towards their opinions.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Seems like most of the reviews are positive, but some people had their expectations way too high I think.

I definitely had my expectations high, but only because of Efteling's previous work. Baron, Flying Dutchman and Fata Morgana etc are all beautiful and so when they announced this, I'm pretty sure everyone had great expectations? I don't think it's fair to say people were expecting too much, when if anything, it's a compliment to the park that people do think so highly.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The park has made POVs for the separate tours. (There are only slight differences)
I think it looks amazing
Those reviews that complain about the lack of story makes me wonder though, if they could explain the story of Droomvlucht to me... When has that ever been a problem?
That's just a stupid rhetoric that's stemmed from Disney where people now think it's necessary to have a half arsed stories, shoehorned into any ride, explicitly spoon fed to them without any subtext, despite the existence of Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pirates etc. From watching the POV there is an obvious basic story line and the preshow probably outlines it even more.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Will obviously hold judgement till I ride it but I DO think the lack of story could have a slight negative impact for me. Having ridden Mystic Manor (and rate it up there as possibly my favorite dark ride, depending on mood) there were always going to be comparisons. I LIKE this very much, but I can't help feeling there's something missing. Obviously might change my mind when I come to ride it. Can't wait for winteraum.

Living for the little musical easter eggs in the soundtrack.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That first POV of the back of people's heads made it look dreadful. I'm glad I watched the official one - haven't watched the 2nd two yet - because this actually looks lovely.

I agree that a story doesn't necessarily matter. Plenty of dark ride don't have them and are still very good.

For a non-Disney/Universal dark ride, this actually looks stunning.

supersion

Mega Poster
I think they've done an amazing job on the ride! It looks awesome! I really like the scene with the whale in the conservatory! Really great effect, and it certainly has Efteling's signature charm and quality about it!

A video has been uploaded of the pre-show, which again looks awesome! I love the ending, and how they lead guests into the ride! It's such a sad feeling knowing we will never see any ride of this quality in the UK. :(

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I rode this yesterday and can happily say it's good fun.

Efteling dark rides aren't my cup of tea (since I generally prefer darker stuff to the whimsical / magical things), but this is my favourite Efteling dark ride. The story is very basic and easy to follow, but it doesn't feel like it is lacking in that department.

The theming and animatronic are truly astounding. There's loads of smells throughout. There's little details which I'm sure you don't notice in POVs. It's also the only Efteling dark ride where it is 360 degree themed; the floor, ceiling and all walls are perfectly themed all the time, and there's no 'filler tunnels'. Makes the experience all the more interesting and fun.

Also, the single rider queue is a great option if you don't mind your route. Due to 2 rows on 3, it is practically always moving, and you still get the full preshow experience!

So all in all, it's probably not going to be everyone's favourite ever dark ride. But it is good, it is fun, and I'm sure that even if people don't necessarily like it, they'll be able to appreciate it's quality and the effort put into it.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Thanks for the little review, I'll ride it next week somewhere! Also, I'd argue that Fata Morgana is quite dark ;). It includes themes like poverty, prostitution, slavery, etc.

Ben

CF Legend
There are bits of it I love (mostly the fabulous whale), but overall it looks like it's a bit... stale? The pace just seems a bit off. It looks impeccably themed, but to lack a bit of pace. Of course it's just a video, so who knows.

I also feel like I can throw a stone in Efteling and hit five other attractions with the same sort of look and feel - it doesn't give me anything different? It's just Efteling doing Efteling again, and that's for some people, but I think it's ****ing ****.