What's new

Dutch Wonderland | Merlin's Mayhem | S&S Family Inverted Coaster

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Sorry it's Fox news
http://fox43.com/2016/11/01/dutch-wonderland-unveils-plans-for-new-ride/

The amusement park announced Monday that it will offer a brand new attraction to visitors in the Summer of 2017. The new ride is called Merlin's Mayhem. Riders help the wizard Merlin find his lost dragon, Mayhem, while traveling on a hanging coaster that runs more than 1,300 feet of track.

"From the time guests enter the ride until the time they get off, they're looking for Mayhem around the park, and hopefully bringing him back safely to Merlin every time," said Rick Stammel, General Manager of Dutch Wonderland.

Park officials say it will cost $7.5 million to create the new ride, which will feature a host of special effects. Construction starts this week.

It will be built by S&S.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Dutch Wonderland | Merlin's Mayhem | Family Inverted Coa

The theming possibilities are endless when it comes to Merlin.

Dar

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
The theming possibilities are endless when it comes to Merlin.

Dark grey, apocalyptic wastelands, and shipping containers isn't exactly endless! :p

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Well it's called Merlin's Mayhem, implying that it's themed to any of the mayhem Merlin caused, which is endless.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

GuyWithAStick said:
Well it's called Merlin's Mayhem, implying that it's themed to any of the mayhem Merlin caused, which is endless.

Exclusively black coasters, silly marketing campaigns, price hikes, shipping containers, high-profile safety incidents, and monopolism?

This will be a fun ride!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So the park released a video showing the coaster off:

The coaster itself does look quite nice, especially the water effects. The video, however, is atrocious. The amount of pumping and lag is unbearable.

Jared

Hyper Poster
I don't understand why the park hasn't gone to Vekoma for this, especially when their product is tried and tested.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I don't understand why the park hasn't gone to Vekoma for this, especially when their product is tried and tested.
Im feeling the same. I assume S&S took a hit on price in order to get the first model out, I'd also say the layout looks better than the smaller SFC's

Lofty

CF Legend
Here's a few potential reasons:

1) The park wanted something different to the Vekoma product.
2) The park was won over by the S&S design.
3) S&S' version is cheaper than Vekoma's.
4) The park's representatives had a beer with the S&S salesman and liked him more than Vekoma's.
5) They could have added perks to the base technology.
6) Maintenance could be cheaper, there could be cheaper parts etc.

There's a few ;)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend

4) The park's representatives had a beer with the S&S salesman and liked him more than Vekoma's.

There's a few ;)
Who knows, the S&S version might end up being better than Vekoma's...

IG9887

Roller Poster
I think it'll give S&S another great opportunity to show that they do more than 4D Free Flys and Drop Towers. Plus, if it becomes succesful, more of these could pop up here in the states as it may be more affordable than Vekomas FSC offering. On a side note, it gives all the more reasoning to loop DW in with a trip to Hershey for those who travel and me a reason to drive 30 mins to Lancaster (although itll only be their 2nd "large" coaster)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Vertical Construction has finally started...

DAnNeJ3W0AApXMm.jpg

From the park's twitter.

Swoosh

Mega Poster
What the heck are they waiting on? We are 20 days from July 4th - the official "middle" of Summer in the States.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

There's a few ;)

From what I've been told part of the reason was actually that they wanted a lift chain for maintenance reasons and Vekoma would only supply I tire driven lift.

X: Uknown

Mega Poster
Images fixed. Please try to make sure the images are correctly rotated, and duplicates removed, before uploading. Hixee.

h8IozNz.jpg

DEkcXDk.jpg

sGkxihB.jpg

2O1sSCH.jpg

iebrhec.jpg

x1poXDF.jpg

vRdCv8g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: