• No

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Possibly?

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Edward M

Strata Poster
So, I've been wondering this ever since I watched this video:

Around 1:30, they explicitly say that the log flume connects to rails and becomes a literal roller coaster. I never considered it a coaster myself, but I think it is just as much a coaster (if not more) than Journey to Atlantis in Orlando. If other water coasters (flume to coaster rail) are counted, does this not technically count too? Maybe neither are or maybe both are. I was just wanting some extra opinions on this

I'm not gonna count it, simply because no one else likely will, and I think the experience is a log flume overall. However, I think it is technically a water coaster.

Edward M

Strata Poster
So, a definite no for it being a coaster ;)

Upon reexamination, I'm wondering why I put the choice "Possibly?"

TilenB

Strata Poster
To be fair, I don't see that much of a difference between this and some of the Mack's SuperSplash rides. The one in Plopsaland basically has a lift and a drop with a dip and that's enough for most enthusiasts to consider it a coaster?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I consider rides like Dudley and Chiapas a bit borderline too. I have Fuga Da Atlantide on my count because you coast on what is very clearly Intamin coaster track but I'd argue that Dudley feels more like a roller coaster and Fuga feels more like a log flume. It's a real conundrum.

(Photo credit One Theme Park At A Time)
c927a81294aa0e5a76f7b11521d5f5db.jpg

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Mack.

To be fair, I don't see that much of a difference between this and some of the Mack's SuperSplash rides. The one in Plopsaland basically has a lift and a drop with a dip and that's enough for most enthusiasts to consider it a coaster?
Seeing as everyone swears blind by the manufacturer's website in... certain other topics.
They say it uses 'Water Coaster boats'.
https://mack-rides.com/products/water-rides/supersplash/

As for the original question. Nah. ;)

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
While Wikipedia says this is a Mack Log Flume, I could see how some enthusiast in a far-off state or country that has been on this ride (I have. It's my favorite log flume at the moment.) consider it a roller coaster. In fact, at the bottom of the drop, it has a little airtime hill, and the ride itself is really fun! The only problem with it is the outdated characters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It all boils down to the intent of the ride. While tracked, it is indeed a log flume based on its design and features. Arguing it is a roller coaster because it is tracked open a bit of a rabbit hole - Arrow log flumes too have wheels and at times ride on non-upstopped track - would that make them a side friction roller coaster too? Definitely not.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Perhaps I should try and reword my question a little bit. I do not think this is a roller coaster, BUT I think it could be argued to be a water coaster. What makes a ride like Journey to Atlantis in Orlando any more a coaster than Dudley? While intent should be noted, the Universal website calls Dudley "part roller coaster, part water flume." Same is said with their behind the scenes video. They call their ride is a water coaster. I personally don't count either, but I think Dudley could arguably be considered a water coaster.

Fuga Da Atlantide
(Photo credit One Theme Park At A Time)
c927a81294aa0e5a76f7b11521d5f5db.jpg

Then also, how come a water ride with Intamin track that has no real roller coaster maneuvers is more a coaster than a water ride with a roller coaster-like track and at least one notable airtime hill?

All I'm trying to point out is that the lines blur a little bit here. Is it more a case of advertising, feeling, or actual mechanics that make these rides a water coaster? And, in that case, Dudley is advertised like a coaster, as well as having the mechanics within at least one section.

That also brings up the argument of a ride like Splash Mountain being a water coaster (which is certainly isn't). However, it also has a drop and hill feature that links up with the track. I guess my question is where does one draw the line with water coasters? How do you determine a ride like Fuga Da Atlantide is a coaster while Dudley or even Splash Mountain aren't? Is it the vehicles? If Journey to Atlantis were in a log, would it not be counted as a coaster by many people? Then again, what makes a coaster? If it is the idea of a vehicle coasting on gravity on a track then most log flumes would count?

Re: Water Coaster Philosophy 101

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Hey, Is this a water coaster?
This has a backdrop,but not a coaster.
Thunder Falls, Everland, Korea. Made by Whitewater attraction

Last edited by a moderator: