Drops or loops?

• Drops

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • Loops

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

alexdude98

Mega Poster
Two thrilling parts of a roller coaster. The drop and the loop. But which is better? I personally prefer drops because unless they're tight loops, they're a small thing to me.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Drops. I love the sensation of speeding down a big drop. Loops are one of my least favourite inversions, I don't find many to be that forceful apart from on inverted coasters.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Drops as they vary much more differently than loops. Each drop gives a different sensation, different force and the height and gain in speed makes it much more exciting than a loop.

I'd agree that probably the only forceful loops are those on inverted coasters.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I'd say drops. But loops are pretty fun, and they can be fairly unique from each other too. I think I like Arrow loops the best.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
The main drop is the best and probally most important (experience wise) part of a ride for me. It will make or break a ride. I don't need me any loops.

So when a first drop is trimmed the ride will not perform for me. It sets up the general impression for the rest of the ride, and being lackluster instantly means the rest of the ride has a hard time finding a way to impress. Esentially I feel a ride like a film. The biggest expected climax you get is dissapointing instead of wowfull, and lowers the love for the rest of it.

Edit: I just realised I cant spell for sh1t.

Mazza

Roller Poster
Love them both although I think my favourite element would be a cobra roll although I have never rode any coasters which have one in them? Are there any in the U.K?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LOL Waffleman...

Off the top of my head, I can think of five cobra rolls in the UK.
Jubilee Odyssey - Fantasy Island
Colossus - Thorpe Park
Wipeout - Pleasurewood Hills
Boomerang - Pleasure Island
and I think (could check if I could be bothered)...
Kumali - Flamingoland.

Hit the road and find them :)

I enjoy loops, but I prefer a decent drop I think :)

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Yep, there's a Cobra Roll on Kumali. I like Cobras too, but as for Drops vs Loops, Drops wins it for me. Loops, I think, are one of the least thrilling inversions, on their own. A good drop can be amazing, as well as acting as the kick start to the rest of the thrills.

Of course, in combination and great drop into a loop is what loops are all about. The loop straight after drop controls the trains pacing so the get a rush, a slow down at the top and another rush down the other side.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Inverse said:
Of course, in combination and great drop into a loop is what loops are all about. The loop straight after drop controls the trains pacing so the get a rush, a slow down at the top and another rush down the other side.

Actually, this is probably why I love the arrow shuttle loopers :) Best of both worlds...

T0M

Hyper Poster
Loops don't relaly do anything for me, even the one on Jubilee Odyssey which is massive. The drop is king. Oblivion is still the best drop in the UK.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Drops.

Aside from Kumba's dive loop thing, I can't really think of any other memorable loops I've experienced.

When it comes to drops, loads of them come to mind. Millennium Force, Big One, any top hat element, the double-drop on Grand National....and so on.

YourNameGoesHere

Roller Poster
Drops. They take your breath away :shock: (literaly) if it's high and fast enough. Loops. Hate 'em. If I want to look at my feet while turning upside-down, I'd do a somersault.

alexdude98

Mega Poster
Yeah, drops are good, but Th13teen has a rubbish drop! And that's the main part of it, but then again, look at Oblivion! Also has a drop as a main part and that's a fantastic ride!