What's new

Dreamland Margate News

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
I managed to get a day off work yesterday and headed down to Margate. Given the torrential rain I encountered on the journey, around 7/8am, it's not surprising that day-trippers would be put off. It was also a school day and, I believe, it was not planned for the park to be open at all yesterday. It was probably only us die-hards who got the notification that the scenic would be open again after the best part of a decade, the threat of demolition and an arson attack after it originally closed.

My first impression, seeing the first test runs of the day, was "How much slower can they make the train go?"; it looked like they were going round the track with each of the brake operators in turn, making sure that they can operate (or in this case over-operate) the brake and still make a full circuit without stalling/roll-back. I also though "those trains are ugly". The bright pastel blue cages ruin the look of the trains. Perspex rather than the metal latticework would he been much better, but it is clear that they are needed on the right-hand side of the train, as clearance is just a few inches as the train travels under the lift hill support structure.

Thoughts on the restraint system:

The lap bars actually require effort to pull down - it feels like they are using some kind of hydraulic system - and they stay in the position you leave them throughout the ride. This actually encourages you not to pull down the bar too far, which I was more than happy not to do due to my rotund frame... The seat belt goes over the shoulder, but is not an inertia reel, just a "pull through the slack" job. The anchor points are the top outside edge of the back of the seat and the bottom of the middle of the back of the seat, which is at the hip level as there is a 6" gap between the seat and the back of the seat. The actual buckle is therefore closer to waist level - a relief, as I didn't appreciate the idea of scrabbling around to find the buckle at seat level when put into a seat with someone I don't know ;-) Although they slow down the loading process a little, I didn't notice the belt at all during the ride. I can see why they have been fitted, though, as a single lap bar, that doesn't even sit on your lap, is fine for an adult, but with an adult sitting with a child, there will be a much bigger gap with the child, who is more likely to wriggle about - and this is a family ride, rather than a thrill-seeker's delight. The important thing for me was that the belt was only noticeable when putting it on/taking it off - I didn't notice it during the ride.

The cage:

Ugly as sin, would have been much better with some solid, transparent material instead of the metal lattice, but some of those uprights are very, very close to the train - an elbow resting on the edge of the seat (as I used to do on the old Scenic) would be at risk, never mind reaching out an arm (which was always a risky thing to do).

The ride experience:

Slow, slow, quick quick slow. It has been testing with the "two seater" train for most of the summer, but only more recently with the proper train, which only arrived a few weeks ago. Also, it has only been running as a proper attraction, with random rider loads, for one day. It is certainly in a new stage of teething troubles - until Thursday, the brake operators had a fixed load to practise with (there is quite a team of new brake operators now, as well as one or two "originals"). It looks like the random loads, together with the intermittent rain, was making the variation in manual braking required more of a problem for the newbies. The biggest problem that I could see was that although the brake operator could vary the braking force, they have absolutely no control whatsoever over those magnetic brakes. I know that the braking force the magnetic brakes apply depends on the speed of the train, but there are other factors in play - on a Woody in particular. Several times, the maintenance crew had to push the train into the station as the train passed over the magnetic brakes after the turn through the structure at the end of the ride. It looks like the magnets themselves come in half-metre lengths, so there isn't much chance of "fine-tuning" the length of each brake section.

Most of the day, there was no airtime, but about 7.00pm something happened - whether it was the rain, the train finally warming up - something - the speed increased noticeably. By that, I mean noticeable by someone who knows their woodies, and has spent most of the day riding the Scenic. A marginal increase, but enough to give a little lift on the two main double dips and create lateral forces going into the turns. I was sitting on the right-hand side of the train and was getting thrown to the left as we entered the turn. I get the feeling that after the ride has had a chance to settle in and the train(s) have been properly broken in, we'll get that speed back again.

The one thing I noticed - almost everyone I rode with loved the ride. Families with kids, groups of teenagers, older people (like me ;-)) - they were all disembarking with big smiles on their faces. It rode full all evening, on an evening where the scare mazes were the main attraction and numbers attending were low. With Dreamland, people know they are getting "vintage". They come to the park expecting a lower thrill level than Alton Towers - and the Scenic fits into that scheme of things perfectly. I enjoyed riding it simply because it was a bit of history - a rare type of coaster, lots of happy memories, a long struggle to save it and quiet satisfaction that it is now running again.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I want Dreamland to succeed, but I genuinely think to do well it's got to do two really important things.

1. Be appealing to spend time and money at even if you don't want to go on any rides, especially for locals and casual holiday makers. This, I think, involves having a reasonably priced bar that outdoes local pub competition by being a unique environment. It also involves having great snack foods, sweet and savoury. This is the easy part and something I think they're already showing is possible. We need to get the British enjoying parks like the Europeans seem to. You go to Bakken or Tivoli, Liseberg, Phantasialand and locals are just there chilling.

2. Have one really, really good classic style ride. Scenic is cool, but it's not going to cut it. We need what Phoenix is to Knoebles there. And I'm not sure that is even possible.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ They have the extras already at their fingertips, as in food etc. They also run out of season events at their Ballroom, parties, weddings, kids parties, team building etc. They also have the Roller Disco and some really unique other little things coming up.

Martyn B

CF Legend
How does the pricing work? Going by their use of the word 'tickets', I assume you have to pay to get in? If true, that could be a big mistake.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yes, you have to buy a ticket to enter the ride area of the park.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
The ticket is needed to access the rides - this has been the source of a lengthy debate that still rumbles on - but everything else is accessible without a ticket. The arcade, emporium, roller disco (separate charge if you want to skate, but the area is open to all) and diner are all free to access. The ballroom, hall-by-the-sea and other forthcoming attractions are all outside the ticketed area.

Over the summer, there were reduced-price evening tickets. I think think this kind of discount will be added to - I'm sure they are monitoring attendance at all the areas of the park and seeing where fewer people are going into the park than are using the free-to-access facilities. The season ticket is good value if you're going three or four times - I bought a season ticket when I last went to Cedar Point, and it worked out cheaper than buying separate on-the-day admissions, but that is a true "stay all day" park.

I reckon a week-long "holiday-maker" pass would be a good idea, as this would then mean that all groups are covered. Locals/enthusiasts would buy a season ticket, holiday-makers could buy a week-long pass, day-trippers would buy a "ride all day" ticket and those who want to spend a shorter while in the park could use the reduced-price evening ticket. Perhaps this could be extended to include an "after 2pm" ticket on days when the park closes at 5.00pm.

Ah - this one will run and run!

stuart

Roller Poster
Dreamland have now announced their free to enter park Christmas event:

The Frosted Fairground

For our first Christmas at Dreamland, we present The Frosted Fairground!

Here at the UK’s original pleasure park join us for festive fun, thrills and good times!

As well as this, Dreamland is FREE TO ENTER! Tis the season of goodwill and with FREE ENTRY, you simply pay per ride (even better, our Dreamland members ride for free!) To guarantee your entry to the park book your FREE tickets online in advance.

For members, simply collect your wristband from the Members desk at the Frosted Fairground.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
^Thanks for posting this, stuart!

I wonder if they're using this as a trial run to see if doing a pay-per-ride thing in future is a viable option...at least for next year. More people are going to mince around and be like 'might as well ride as I'm here', this seems like a fab idea to me!

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Jordanovichy said:
I wonder if they're using this as a trial run to see if doing a pay-per-ride thing in future is a viable option...at least for next year. More people are going to mince around and be like 'might as well ride as I'm here', this seems like a fab idea to me!

At £5 for the Scenic and £4 for most of the other rides, I'm thinking pay-per-ride might not be such a popular idea.

Of course, all the rides are 'free' if you have bought a season pass - this event appears to be an attempt to push people towards buying a pass.

There are other things going on in the park that you can enjoy for free - entertainers etc. but it's the best part of a tenner to visit Father Christmas (hope his pressies are good ;-)). Given the quality of the Screamland themeing, I might pop down for this event.

stuart

Roller Poster
CoastinBear said:
At £5 for the Scenic and £4 for most of the other rides, I'm thinking pay-per-ride might not be such a popular idea.
Of course, all the rides are 'free' if you have bought a season pass - this event appears to be an attempt to push people towards buying a pass.

I think you are correct. I imagine that they have realised that visitors to the park in December will be predominantly local (Kent) so target market for membership. At the same time offering a great new community space for Christmas events.

Memberships are really good value, I got mine last week - £69 for joint (me + anyone else I take, not a fixed second person) membership. Unlimited entry and also gives 10% off food, drink and ticketed events. I would have saved £15 when I bought 5 screamland tickets, another £10 when I bought 3 Hot Chip tickets and I've already paid to get in on a couple of normal days too.

CoastinBear, I know from SDC forum that you're not local but that would probably be worth it for you too, no?

mouse

Giga Poster
Good video comparing the Scenic from 2003 and 2015:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLMod1xF6U[/youtube]

Apparently the 2015 video has been sped up slightly at the start and end to synchronize the footage, although after the lift hill it is largely unedited. The 2003 version definitely picks up more speed on the drops, perhaps due to different train designs? Hopefully the new scenic will become faster once it 'breaks in' a bit.

mouse

Giga Poster
Ah yes, the trims do slow the trains down significantly before entering the drops. Still seems like the drops after the lift hills speed up faster on the old scenic or is it just me?

How important is the role of the brakeman now? Seems like the trims do all of the work...

Lofty

CF Legend
Actually, TilenB, you're wrong.

The Brakemen is used for the likes of the station etc, but is not used for the 'ride' anymore, this is what I've been made aware of.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ But how can the coaster in Great Yarmouth have a brakeman, if they don't comply with the law anymore?