What's new

Drayton Manor - 21st March 2009

darrenhosker

Roller Poster
Took a trip to Drayton on opening day after a failed attempt to get down to Thorpe, im not travelling 200 miles to have most of the iconic rides closed.
The park was very busy for a weekends in march and most rides had queues, heres hoping that the parks will be having a good year with all the promised good weather coming up this summer. It's a good start anyway, I bet they were overjoyed.

The park itself was looking a littly tatty and didn't look like they had spent much during closed season on general clean-ups, they seemed to have lost their way a little. After complaining about Thorpe I was certain that it wouldn't be the same here, however when I arrived at the park there was 2 of the major rides closed: Stormforce and Apocalypse. They did open later throughout the day though.

I thought the Zoo was also looking a little tatty and not a patch on Flamingo Lands zoo, most of the exhibits were closed and non of the animals seemed to be out on show.
The food outlets have been refurbished and looked less tacky, but the food hasn't changed. Still overpriced cheap rubbish with very little choice.

The new 4D cinema was very good, the pre show film was tacky but quite amusing. The actual film "Curse of Skull Rock" was a very good choice for a 3D film, and the effects were pretty good and on American standards. There was the usual suspects like spraying water, light effects, leg ticklers and wind. But they also used smells which were pretty gruesome, and some mild movement effects on the seats.

Stormforce was running a little sluggish when it did open and as we got to the front of the queue it broke down again, they did open it for a second time later in the day. Shockwave was running one train all day and most of the other rides seemed to have queues and slow loading times, i'll put this down to the staff training and the first day of the season.

Was an enjoyable day even after the fact I didn't get on as much as I expected, but it only cost me £20 to get in after purchasing a Family:4 ticket for 4 adults at £80 which I thought was a bargain. Value for money I was thinking.

Ride count:
Shockwave x 1
Splash Canyon x 1
Maelstrom x 1
Pirate Adventure x 1
Drunken Barrels x 1
4D Cinema x 1
Apocalypse x 1
Golden Nuggets x 1
Stomforce 10 - Broke Down
Buffalo Coaster - Broke Down

Darren Hosker
(A.K.A Richard Butter)

A

Anonymous

Thorpe only had 2 rides down on Saturday. Stealth and Slammer.
Was an amazing day at Thorpe.

Glad u had an ok day at drayton tho :)