What's new

Dorney Park | Iron Menace | B&M Dive Machine | 2024

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Dude. I was using the video to show the concept that I was talking about. It would be unfair to claim the idea as my own without giving them any credit for giving me the idea, and I don't have the tools to create a Planet Coaster or No Limits layout myself. C'mon.
You could just show the blueprints. Don't support clickbait.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's another snapshot of the proposed layout a la Screamscape: http://screamscape.com/html/dorney_park.htm

2021_ProposedShuttleCoaster_overlay.jpg

2021_ProposedShuttleCoaster_overlay2.jpg

A switchback wooden coaster... just might work for Dorney. Or at least, with how not-at-capacity Dorney can be, a lower rider throughput wouldn't necessarily hurt the park (they did, afterall, remove the Vekoma Shuttle Coaster back here as well). It's actually kind of wild to reflect, over a 12 year period, this will be the third new roller coaster added to this portion of the park - after having three previous removals.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Cedar Fair have suspended $75M - $100M worth of capital spending for 2020/2021:-

Here is the article for people such as @tomahawk who passionately hate Amusement Insiders:-

This could possibly be the reason why the plans for this coaster have been taken down. It does not say any plans are cancelled, which likely means this coaster has been pushed back to 2022 at the earliest.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Cedar Fair have suspended $75M - $100M worth of capital spending for 2020/2021:-

Here is the article for people such as @tomahawk who passionately hate Amusement Insiders:-

This could possibly be the reason why the plans for this coaster have been taken down. It does not say any plans are cancelled, which likely means this coaster has been pushed back to 2022 at the earliest.
Someone on Reddit also brought up that the Dorney Park documents might have been withdrawn because Pennsylvania isn't allowing applications for new construction when all non-essential businesses are closed.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The proposed new Dorney Park ride has won the approval of the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission, although final approval will be up to South Whitehall Township. The Lehigh Valley Planning Commission review found that the ride will be in a flood plain and should be built to withstand high waters.
The attraction will be 106 feet high, according to a public notice put out by the township earlier. And part of the Zephyr train ride would be relocated, as we already know. So a nice family coaster with steel supports, I assume.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Per my post in the Coronavirus topic:

Basically everybody who applied for permission at that particular board meeting pulled their application because Pennsylvania announced the postponement of all non-essential work days before. Since there was basically no point in seeking approval at that time, the meeting was, for all intents and purposes, put on hold. I'm sure everybody will re-apply at a later date, including Dorney.

tl;dr - everybody withdrew their application as it was pointless at the time. Obviously, the park was able to reapply for a review at a later date.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Per my post in the Coronavirus topic:

tl;dr - everybody withdrew their application as it was pointless at the time. Obviously, the park was able to reapply for a review at a later date.
Great news!! But since Cedar Fair is only spending $80,000,000 this year, does that mean we will only see this and cedar point new attraction for 2021

Matt N

CF Legend
Great news!! But since Cedar Fair is only spending $80,000,000 this year, does that mean we will only see this and cedar point new attraction for 2021
$80million is still a lot of money. Considering this probably costs about $10m max, and about the same for Kings Dominion's S&S Free Spin, with maybe about $30-40m allocated to Cedar Point, that would still leave $20m for other attractions in a most expensive case scenario, so I don't think that will be all we'll see.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
$80million is still a lot of money. Considering this probably costs about $10m max, and about the same for Kings Dominion's S&S Free Spin, with maybe about $30-40m allocated to Cedar Point, that would still leave $20m for other attractions in a most expensive case scenario, so I don't think that will be all we'll see.

Cedar Fair made it clear in their yearly earnings call that their recent capex has been inflated by numerous resort upgrades (Hotel Breakers, camp grounds, CW hotel, Carowinds hotel, etc), all of which have been completed. They also stated that they have no plans for any more resort upgrades and thus this results in a capex spending cliff. Do the chain's recent resort upgrades equate to $50+ million per year over the past few years? Probably not. Virtually all of the parks will continue to see additions/upgrades/rides but we likely won't see anything that's the magnitude of Steel Vengeance, Orion, or Fury for quite some time.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder how Dorney managed to talk their way into getting a new coaster. Brand new at that. One can only imagine the scene at the grand board meeting...

Cedar Fair executive: "Okay, that's next year's pot of money distributed. And we're proud to announce a new wooden shuttle coaster for ... Cedar Point!"
(General polite applause around the room. Nobody looks surprised.)
Cedar Point executive: "Um, I think that would be too low capacity for us. We've got little space left to expand, and I don't think we can afford to use that much for such a low-capacity ride. I'm afraid we'll have to decline the offer"
(Dorney Park executive raises hand)
CF executive: "No problem, we'll give it to a different park instead. Kings Island, you'll get it instead!"
Kings Island executive: "We're currently putting our marketing focus into Orion. We wouldn't be able to get any extra mileage out of a coaster like that. I'm sure it could be put to better use elsewhere."
(Dorney Park executive starts waving the raised hand)
CF executive: "Oh, no problem. We have plenty of deserving parks in our chain! Canada's Wonderland it is!"
Canada's Wonderland executive: "Actually, we're getting more visitors every year than Cedar Point. If it's too low capacity for them, it's too low for us as well. But the chain has other parks."
(Dorney Park executive keeps hand raised and waving, uses other hand to point at himself)
CF executive: "Oh, we do indeed. Knott's Berry Farm, you can squeeze it in somewhere, can't you?"
KBF executive: "Capacity might be an issue for us too. We're actually getting more visitors than CW again. And we have less space to work with than CP. We'll have to decline, but if you will take a moment to look at the Giga request I sent-"
(Dorney Park executive, hands still flailing, stares intensely at CF executive, trying to capture his gaze)
CF executive: "Ah, of course! Carowinds! You can have it!"
Carowinds executive: "A wooden coaster that looks like it might actually be somewhat good?!? Not in our park."
(Dorney Park executive clears throat)
CF executive: "King's Dominion, then! Take this thing, since we obviously don't have other parks to put it in!"
KD executive: "We're already working on that B&M Wing Coaster, remember? Can't you put the wooden shuttle in one of the smaller parks?"
(The entire room gasps and falls silent)
CF executive: "Insolence! That B&M coaster... You can forget it! We'll make it a... a... an S&S Free Spin instead! Off the shelf model! One of the leftover ones from Six Flags' bulk purchase! Now don't open that mouth again or I'll call my contacts in the UK and swap the Free Spin for a twenty-fourth hand Pinfari instead!"
Dorney Park executive: He might have a point, though! There are other parks in this chain, you know!
CF executive: "Only California's Great Adventure, to the extent of my knowledge. Will you have it?"
CGA executive: "We've got our hands full with the waterpark expansion. You must find somebody else."
(Dorney Park executive clears throat again)
CF executive: "Valleyfair?"
Secretary: "I think Valleyfair stopped attending these meetings seven years ago. Gave up, he said."
(Dorney Park executive stands up)
CF executive: "Michigan's Adventure?"
(MA executive looks up, as if in shock. This is the first time anybody has even remembered his presence in the annual meeting since Valleyfair left. As if in a dream, he hears his own, hoarse voice say: "Yes, grand boss?" and feels a faint spark of hope for the first time in ages)
CF executive: "By the way, we're giving you some money to move your smallest kiddie coaster to a different corner of your park. That ought to suffice as investment in your park for the next ten years. Now, back to this wooden shuttle. Who can we give it to?"
(Dorney Park executive climbs onto his chair - not an easy feat, since he's waving one hand in the air while pointing at himself with the other simultaneously)
CF executive: "Worlds of Fun?"
(Everybody laughs. The Worlds of Fun executive says nothing. That's because he's just a scarecrow somebody fit into a suit. Nobody ever cared enough to notice.)
CF executive: "Okay, that only leaves us one choice. We'll put this thing up at Gilroy Gardens. It's sure to be a hit.
Secretary: "Umm, it looks like the representative for Gilroy Gardens chose to stay at home tending to a sick houseplant. He said nothing relevant ever happened on these meetings."
(Dorney Park executive mouths "Me! Me! Me!" while jumping up and down on his chair)
CF executive: "Can't fault him for that. No, we've gone through the entire chain and nobody seems to have the room, capacity, or desire to build this new coaster. We'll just have to sell it on, or move it straight to the graveyard for hopeless projects. The place coasters go to die in this chain. The last stop before the soup can factory. The place I keep forgetting that we even own. Every time I'm reminded of its existence, I vow to remove a coaster from that park. This one goes to ... :sigh: ... Dorney. Now scrap their impulse coaster immediately!"

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Like @Antinos, I'm also guessing that structure/rehab work is included in the planned spendings for 2021. While Cedar Fair doesn't actively try to add new rides to all of their parks every year, they do seem to be more adamant about maintaining their parks than Six Flags. I feel that we'll be able to properly judge if 2021's spendings were cut or not once more leaks or reveals emerge about Cedar Point's 2021 project. Regarding this proposed coaster specifically, I'd definitely return to Dorney to ride it and reride Talon if I find myself in the area - assuming this is for 2021, I'll absolutely be riding it opening year, since CoasterCon recently got delayed to then!

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Cedar Fair made it clear in their yearly earnings call that their recent capex has been inflated by numerous resort upgrades (Hotel Breakers, camp grounds, CW hotel, Carowinds hotel, etc), all of which have been completed. They also stated that they have no plans for any more resort upgrades and thus this results in a capex spending cliff. Do the chain's recent resort upgrades equate to $50+ million per year over the past few years? Probably not. Virtually all of the parks will continue to see additions/upgrades/rides but we likely won't see anything that's the magnitude of Steel Vengeance, Orion, or Fury for quite some time.
Then what do you think Cedar Point’s new coaster is that they are planning??