What's new

Dollywood |"Wild Eagle"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Looked, probably failed, but didn't see anything, but, they got approval for a new coaster.

http://themountainpress.com/view/full_s ... ethirdleft

And we have some beautiful blue B&M track in Kentucky that is, quite possibly, headed towards Dollywood. Think of any other place in the South that would be getting that?

http://smarterthannot.tumblr.com/post/6 ... its-way-to

Rumors have been pointing to the first of its kind in the US. a 4D coaster was mentioned, but Intamin or B&M. Construction has already begun and takes up a large area. If they are already getting track, this is going to be one big ass ride!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Dollywood 2012

I <3 Dollywood.

That news article is 2 months old but we're without a topic for it, so all's good!

In the UK, all plans have to be on display so the public can comment before a decision is made. I'm assuming that in the USA, plans don't have to publicly displayed?

RCF

Strata Poster

^I believe they CAN release it to the public, but they don't have to. I think only if it affects like, possible urban areas or housing properties then they probably would, but other than that I don't believe they have to.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Unless im reading this wrong it states that the attraction is only 11ft tall? but will feature a lenghty and winding track.... So surely this points to a lauch coaster of some sort?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

11ft? A station building is taller than that. :(

andrus

Giga Poster

Surely the height must be a typing error? This looks interesting though! :) The track has the same colour as the one being built at Parc Asterix, but this aint invert track so this must be for some other coaster..

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

I assume the 11ft is a typo, but then the plans do mention excavations, it could be much taller, but they mean 11ft over sea level perhaps?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Above sea-level? Maybe above ground level, but I can't imagine many parks would measure their coasters relative to the sea. (hint Blackpool ;) )

madhjsp

Giga Poster

This is awesome news! Dollywood's already a fantastic park with nice rides, but a major steel coaster like this is just what it needs.

The track looks like hyper or sitter track. With the thick forest and the hills surrounding the area, I don't see the terrain being very accommodating to a large hypercoaster, so I'd guess this is going to be a regular looper or maybe a floorless.

As to the height, that's got to be a typo. Perhaps they meant 110 feet, which would be about the right height for a medium-sized looper.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: Dollywood 2012

I'll supply the llink when I get home, but in an interview with a park official they confirmed it will be taller than 11 feet. In that interview they also say its first of its kind in the US, but I might be wrong. Regardless, with track already on its way, this might be a reason to go to dollywood.

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Dollywood is awesome, and I've got no doubt this will be a great ride. Just don't take out Mountain Slidewinder!

CPcisco

Mega Poster

tomahawKSU said:
And we have some beautiful blue B&M track in Kentucky that is, quite possibly, headed towards Dollywood. Think of any other place in the South that would be getting that?

http://smarterthannot.tumblr.com/post/6 ... its-way-to

A couple friends of mine I know from college are the ones who found these two trucks, and that picture only shows the square box track on the flatbeds, there was also rectangular box track there. So that information along with the "first in the US" statement is certainly leading me to a very quick conclusion of a B&M wingrider. :--D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: Dollywood 2012

Still at work so I can't provide the link, but over at rcpro, one of the members was at the park as track arrived. Also another member who is a truck driver commented on how the track is larger than traditional B&M based on the trailer size and how wide it was. More signs are pointing to wing walker, with a new teaser on it saying "the sky is not the limit" and the supports looked beige, but im squinting at my cell screen, so, another link I'll provide in a few hours!

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

andrus

Giga Poster

A terrain wing rider would be awesome! I just hope B&M doesn't do their usual loop, zero-g, corkscrew thing.. This ride would be so much cooler with a lot of sweeping turns close to the ground! :--D

Snoo

The Legend

Smidge higher above sea level.. :)

I'm liking this if they can get a nice terrain coaster.. regardless of type. Wildfire down in SDC was fantastic.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

andrus said:
A terrain wing rider would be awesome! I just hope B&M doesn't do their usual loop, zero-g, corkscrew thing.. This ride would be so much cooler with a lot of sweeping turns close to the ground! :--D

This. There will certainly be at least some degree of terrain interaction, since the whole surrounding area is thick wooded hills. There are no flat, open fields for a cookie-cutter looper.

Status
Not open for further replies.