What's new

Dollywood | Big Bear Mountain | Vekoma Family Launched Coaster | 2023

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I keep thinking I keep reading the stupidest thing I've read on these boards, and then you have to go and obliterate it. Last I checked, a hyper doesnt have wave turns, launches, or a mother :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing quad down. There is nothing similar in the experience. At. :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing. All.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My point still stands, even though B&M hypers are changing for the better. If it ends up being a B&M, I'd rather have the Mack spinner.

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I think the Hyper Coaster option is great. As is the Spinning Coaster model. But honestly, the indoor coaster is the most underrated option cause there is a great opportunity for a backstory, masses of theming and many great track elements like track drops, side drops, etc. (like the Dynamic Attractions SFX Coaster)
I think something like Verbolten or Th13teen (track drop) is brilliant too!
They already have an indoor coaster (Blazing Fury) and a souped up family coaster (FireChaser Express). I'd rather see Dollywood get a thrill coaster this time as their last two coasters (Whistle Punk Chaser & Dragon Flier) have been family rides - I don't exactly plan to visit the park this year, as I'm holding off until 2 years later when Pete admitted that "we are doing something for 2021".

Hutch

Strata Poster
Haven’t they been open in the past about wanting a hyper coaster? I’d put money that we’d see one of those within the next decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
ATI, your point doesn't stand at all and stop being so demanding on other members, it's incredibly rude.

Pear

Strata Poster
If it's a hyper I doubt it's going to be going where Slidewinder was, but hopefully that area gets developed soon.

I'm still waiting for that source @Pear. I want to vote for #Dollywood2021.
The picture was sent in a group chat I am in with some friends.

I'm assuming the survey is not open to the whole public and was given to select passholders and such. I don't think they'd want someone in the UK who has never been to the park voting on future additions.

Tbf I said in my video I didn't mind any other type of coaster. Personally I am (like most) on that #HyperCoasterHypeTrain but an indoor and a Mack Xtreme Spinning Coaster are amazing types too and if it is the hyper coaster, I wouldn't be surprised if the other types aren't ruled out completely.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Glad y'all were able to beat some sense into ATI without me:)

As cool as an Xtreme Spinner would be, a B&M Hyper is absolutely without a doubt the best choice. The GP would EAT THAT :emoji_poop: UP so fast you wouldn't believe it. I can't imagine how good of combination of Mako & Fury in the Smoky Mountains would be for that park.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Why stop at hyper though? They have the terrain where, if used smartly, they could build a giga coaster if they REALLY wanted to :p:p:p

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yeah, Pete Owens WANTS a hyper from our conversation a few years back. Everyone who isn't a certifiable dumb ass wants this to be a hyper.

Give us what we want.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Yeah, Pete Owens WANTS a hyper from our conversation a few years back. Everyone who isn't a certifiable dumb ass wants this to be a hyper.

Give us what we want.

IF you put the station where the landing for Slidewinder was, put the lift going up the hill towards the top of Slidewinders loading platform, make a 180 turn.... BOOM!!!! perfect start for a terrain GIGA DIVE!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Give us what we want.

To add a little more clarity, the question I asked was "If you [Pete] could add any flat ride and roller coaster what would you add?" He responded Drop tower and B&M Hyper. Those were just his feelings but it's something to keep in mind. In the same Q&A he had mentioned that Slidewinder had been on the chopping block and he and a few other of the staff fought hard to keep it open and operating multiple times.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Why stop at hyper though? They have the terrain where, if used smartly, they could build a giga coaster if they REALLY wanted to :p:p:p

Actually that's quite plausible. IF i read the topo correctly, there is about 150' elevation difference between the loading station of Slidewinder and Showstreet near the entrance of the park. So a 200' foot lift hill near the landing area of Slidewinder could get you a 300' plus drop over the terrain. The back half of the Wildwood Grove sits about the same elevation. Whats really interesting is that there is a massive hollow / valley just past the railroad tracks. The coaster could cross over the tracks from Wildwood and go over the hill similar to what they did with LR.

I know its purely speculation. But is fun to see the possibilities.

Attachments

• DW.PNG
    DW.PNG
    97.3 KB · Views: 61

Matt N

CF Legend
I wonder what sort of coaster the park opted for from that survey! I hope it's the hyper, but anything could happen! This announcement might not even be for a coaster, but Pete Owens apparently said about something thrilling coming in 2021, so I think it could be!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I always think “hotel or water park” when I hear the words “investment plan”, never a ride. Of course, could be some magical land themed to Dolly featuring a heavily made up coaster with two massive airtime hills.

Whatever it is, it’s Dollywood so it’ll be fab.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I'm expecting this to be another multi-year, several-hundred-million dollar investment plan (like the 10 year, $300m plan that was announced in 2013). Hearing a lot of likely BS info about what could be included, but I think it's safe to assume Phase 2 of Wildwood Grove will be included in this X years down the road. Maybe that brings that B&M Hyper or a Mack Xtreme Spinner from that survey?

But as Ian said, it’s Dollywood so it’ll be fab.