What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Hutch

Strata Poster
That's amazing that quite a few of you ended up with the same #1 on the same trip… when's the last time that happened?

Wow, it seems RMC has created a masterpiece here.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Sanchezmran said:
That's amazing that quite a few of you ended up with the same #1 on the same trip… when's the last time that happened?

Wow, it seems RMC has created a masterpiece here.

From my experience and conversations with other people, never.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Fantastic set of POV photos from Upstop Media:

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/upstopmedia/photos/ms.c.eJxF0NsRwzAIRNGOMjwF9N9YYtarfJ65SMjukbbxVAlrjU~;DEV5Ho2mvkok22ranvLZC57wd9EPn9rnzASutMPdr7~;lzXXDSZ9~;rTid60Y7O~;b~_7n16cl9oe~;B7pZ39KXaPzfRIw94vsvP6NPte7j~;~_rZ7anfAEleksl.bps.a.890828957709520.1073741845.441874885938265/890829351042814/?type=3[/facebookpost]

Boris1981

Roller Poster
For anyone how has visited Dollywood the last few days: how was the reliability of Lightning Rod?
Was it down often? 1-train-operation? Seems like it's hit and miss to get the credit?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Boris1981 said:
For anyone how has visited Dollywood the last few days: how was the reliability of Lightning Rod?
Was it down often? 1-train-operation? Seems like it's hit and miss to get the credit?

While we were there for the US live it won't down 3 times all day. Once for about 15 mintues, once for about 45 minutes, and once for about an hour and a half (lightning in the area for the last one). It was running 2 trains all day but dispatch times varied greatly (and walk of shames were fairly frequent which increased dispatch times). I suspect times will decrease as the ride is open longer though.

EthC

Mega Poster
__.jpg

Looks like it took the term hot rod a little too seriously...

They really are having a hard time with this thing arent they, hopefully they will get it open soon :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
And we wonder why B&M took so long to get a launch system they were happy with...

I'm not doubting that RMC don't know what they're doing, and they're very competent engineers just having some bad luck, but I'd hardly call this ground breaking ride a success at the moment*.

*That is until you're lucky enough to ride it and realise it's the best roller coaster in the world.

Snoo

The Legend
I mean, could we have picked a better time to ride it? It was down before and after our trip. We had like a 5 day window to ride it and we hit it perfectly. Boom!

jay37415

Mega Poster
I'm a little skeptical about this picture.
-The person who posted this picture on Instagram doesn't even claim its hers. She got it from Reddit. This picture appears to be taken from inside the Car Ride in a place that's only accessible if you're an employee.
- The car is made from a bunch of fiberglass, if you've ever seen fiberglass burn you know it burns black and not white.
-If this was a legit fire, you would see a plethora of people on that platform in fire gear and a handful of trucks below. Not just one guy.
-The one guy in the picture appears to be wearing a brown colored jacket and is bent over. Where I work, we wear very similar jackets to protect our arms and torso from sparks when welding or grinding. Stick Welding does produce a lot of smoke similar to what you see here.

So unless Pete issues a statement about a fire on LR, it's safe to conclude that this is just a picture of a guy welding something, possibly the recalled part.

EDIT- I do see now where the train is there. The picture is very grainy.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
All valid and well made points, Jay. Only thing I question is why they'd be doing it there and not in the maintenance shed. They had all the gear, extraction and fire suppression systems in the maintenence shed, why are they doing it with the train half up the hill?

EDIT: Unless they're not welding something to the train, they just want the train there to check for clearance or something, but I'd be surprised if they aren't able to just do that from their design drawings.

Open question, not a criticism. :)

ST Dog

Roller Poster
jay37415 said:
-The person who posted this picture on Instagram doesn't even claim its hers. She got it from Reddit. This picture appears to be taken from inside the Car Ride in a place that's only accessible if you're an employee.

I think it's grainy because of the zoom.
I think it might have been shot from the exit of River Rampage which gives the appearance that was taken inside Rockin' Roadway.

So unless Pete issues a statement about a fire on LR, it's safe to conclude that this is just a picture of a guy welding something, possibly the recalled part.

Word from DW is an electric motor overheated.
http://www.local8now.com/content/news/D ... 31761.html
http://wate.com/2016/06/21/spokesman-mo ... ing-smoke/

jay37415

Mega Poster
It appears they are trying to get it back open today.

The banner saying its closed is down from their website. May stop by tomorrow for a quickie.

Boris1981

Roller Poster
jay37415 said:
It appears they are trying to get it back open today.

The banner saying its closed is down from their website. May stop by tomorrow for a quickie.

Not sure about that, I still see the banner...