What's new

Do you count coasters you rode pre-enthusiast?

Do you count coasters you rode pre-enthusiast?

• Total voters

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ahhh yes - the enthusiasts 'coming out ceremony', I remember mine like it was yesterday. All that pomp and circumstance - the costumes, the ribbons, the fanfare, the ritual signing of the official documents etc..
Sue was there. Dave, Ian, Jerry - all the top-brass.
There was even a donkey in a hat.
Of course, when it came to the ceremonial registration on Coaster-count.com, the experience was slightly soured because, I'd worked out, at that point I'd already ridden 60-odd coasters that I wasn't allowed to include. Bit gutted but you know, rules is rules, man.

Last edited:

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I'm not into counting the coasters I've ridden, it's around the 130 mark I think, but anything you've ridden should count. Anything I rode a while ago, before I was that into coasters, I don't put in any rankings. I loved both Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood The Dream at USJ but I don't put them into any rankings because they were my first Flyer and Hyper Coaster I ever rode, I also only rode them once each. I didn't have any reference points when I rode them. I still have them on coaster count though.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
It's an interesting approach you have and no harm in doing it your own way. You can always keep them in mind and add them if you ever find a new perspective on it.

Do you really remember every single coaster you've ridden?
But there is definitely merit to this. There will come a time when things will become hazy (or you start riding a load of stuff that doesn't matter) and if you strictly base it on your current logic the count might start going down again. ;)

Deep implications though, if you ever change your mind one day you'll find your milestones are messed up. :eek: So are you ready to commit to this strategy... 'til death?

What do I do? Yes. With the level of detail put into spreadsheets and stuff, it would be far too troubling to leave anything out. It would keep me up at night.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What do I do? Yes. With the level of detail put into spreadsheets and stuff, it would be far too troubling to leave anything out. It would keep me up at night.
This is what it all comes down to for me. Consistency is everything. I'm getting sweaty palms just thinking about it.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Love this topic...good one Matt.
I don't count coasters, but I do count the Ghost Train at Blackpool...
And anyone who doesn't is weird.
Are you going to start riding kiddie coasters just to get the creds then Matt?
Now that is weird.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh Matt, your enthusiasm start date is wonderful. <3
Thank you! I'd say I had touches of enthusiasm before that, but that's when I've decided to start my spreadsheet and milestones and whatnot from because that's when I rode my first properly big coasters.

Well, it seems that I am massively outnumbered here. Kind of proves what an odd person I really am!

Also, it would seem some people are a bit offended by my method of counting coasters, so I apologise for that. The thing is, though, it's how I've always done it, so I'm not sure if I'd want to change that at this stage.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
We've devoted ourselves ride kiddie coasters... I think that makes all of us odd people.
Not necessarily! Admittedly, I haven't quite been able to bring myself to ride Octonauts at Alton yet, and I wouldn't say I'm someone who'd travel 80 miles out of their way to ride a Big Apple or Go Gator, but everyone has their own different ways of doing things!

Niles

Giga Poster
As long as I have proof and remember them I count past coasters pre-enthusiast, I've always been a fan of coasters since I can rember, also there's 10ish that are defunct that ill never be able to ride again.

But it is kind of annoying that I have no real idea of there order from 0-107 on my count, ahhhh well ;)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
There's only a few creds which I can't actually remember riding, but my parents do, there's a few of those with pictures as well, either way if I can either remember riding it or I've been told I rode it then It's counted.
On the flip side, there's a few coasters at Alton which I'm sure I rode as they were operating at the time, as well as a couple at Disney, but I don't remember the experience and my parents can't be sure, so they are missing off my list.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm actually in a slightly funny situation with my enthusiasm, in that I was into coasters long before I rode very many.

I remember being absolutely transfixed by Dragon at Legoland, and subsequently Big Thunder Mountain at DLP, but I was too chicken to ride anything bigger for many, many years. I had a coaster count of four (Dragon, BTM, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster - which I only rode 'cos I couldn't see it - and Casey Jr) for four years until I finally went to Alton and rode Nemesis. In that four years though, I researched and researched and researched. I knew all about Cedar Point, Six Flags parks, Europa Park, you name it. I was mad for it all. Even back then I had a list of ones I'd ridden (written on a sheet of paper), but never dreamed I'd be able to ride any more. I had Hyper Rails, RCT and eventually NoLimits, and it was researching the types of inversions that landed me on CF! It was wonderfully innocent, really.

After the Alton visit, that was it though, really. I was properly hooked. Once I'd conquered SheiKra, that had me sorted. I'd get on anything. 600+ and counting now.

So for me, it was never hard to remember coasters I rode pre-enthusiast days because there were so few. :)

rob666

Hyper Poster
My oldest memories are kiddie coasters at Butlins in the sixties...but where and when?
Literally nobody knows any more sadly...
Cyclone at Southport from about five or six...I was very tall.
But that is half a century ago.
Fifty years of brain damage from the Grand National this year I think.
Never missed a season.
That much I do know!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
My oldest memories are kiddie coasters at Butlins in the sixties...but where and when?
Literally nobody knows any more sadly...
Cyclone at Southport from about five or six...I was very tall.
But that is half a century ago.
Fifty years of brain damage from the Grand National this year I think.
Never missed a season.
That much I do know!

Whoa.- you must be properly old then? ;)
I thought I was one of the oldies round here but you, Sir, take it to the next level. Respect!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I'm actually in a slightly funny situation with my enthusiasm, in that I was into coasters long before I rode very many.
Maybe not as unusual as you might think. I'd been drawing park maps since about age 5, knew a lot of stuff and obsessed with RCT so was also way more into parks than the chicken in me could handle at first, with coaster-less visits to Thorpe and DLP under my belt. I also did Alton with nothing bigger than Spinball (spiting myself Corkscrew forever, there's a few more sleepless nights).
A return visit to Thorpe had me decide 'well I'd better actually do this stuff I'm supposed to like then' and got straight on Colossus (first inverting cred) without a second thought.

This wasn't enthusiasm as I now know it though, doing a bunch of UK stuff over the next few years but never getting serious with it.
I'd give myself the '@Matt N enthusiasm start date' of 27th December 2013, having my eyes opened to unimagined wonders on the Mummy at Universal Singapore (I don't have the time of day unfortunately).
After that, all future trips were booked with parks in mind and all parks were visited with the intention of riding every cred (had done silly things like Lightwater and Flamingo skipping half of them).
The concept of favourites and then 'rankings' was born here as I don't remember having an official favourite ride beforehand. (It would have been Nemesis 'just because' it was the accepted UK standard, not for any more justifiable reason. I never truly loved it in a way that drives enthusiasm).

Last edited:

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I personally do. Why would I go through all the trouble to find a child to ride with on Wilderness Run when I've already ridden it when I was the size of that child?
For the FunPix photo of course!

Snoo

The Legend
Yes, because I've ridden them.

Actually+hes+right+the+meme+comes+from+a+series+of+_78931f44909405ce7fef28f7207b5917.png

I didn't really call myself an enthusiast until maybe 2001? Meanwhile my first coaster was Raptor at Cedar Point in 1996. Gotta count them as long as you can moderately remember them!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Yes. Like many others have said if i have memory of riding them or can find proof (like old photos) of me riding them I count them. A coaster count to me is just that, a count of the number of coasters I've ridden. Regardless of whether i was an "enthusiast" or not while riding them