Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RCF

Strata Poster
I was watching Ghost Hunters International and thought of making this topic. I've had quite a few experiences myself (considering the fact my old house was built on a Civil War battleground. So write your opinions (and maybe your experiences too!)

RCF

Strata Poster
I agree with you LFTL. My dad and mom are always putting down my experiences. I mean, I used to see transparent figures in Civil War uniforms, no joke. I hate it when they try and say anything to disprove me. I don't think things like that on Ghost Hunters is fake.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I believe that there is something that exists that we cannot explain,whether it be 'ghosts' or not is another thing.

Having said that, I am very into the Paranormal and I have a had a few weird occurrences happen to me which I cannot explain.

When I was younger, my mum says that I used to walk around each lamppost and drain I saw 8 times anit-clockwise, because a man told me to and I would refuse to move if if I had not done it.

Also, I've had weird things shouted in my ears when nobody has been around, and I mean shouted. A few noises, bumps etc.

We also have a 'family 'presence'' which seems to follow the family from when we lived in Houghton Regis to Milton Keynes, and would move things (such as one time 300 glasses smashing in front of my mum's eyes without her doing anything). However, we think this has sopped as nothing spooky has occurred when we moved in to the pub in Sherington or when we moved to Telford.

To conclude a long winded post, yes, but no. For reasons stated in the first paragraph.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Yes, I absolutely do! Too many people have had experiences, and to call all of them liars is just a bit silly.

If so many people have had experiences, then why is there not a single piece of solid evidence that they exist?

Hundreds of millions of people have had paranormal experiences, but nobody can show a single little bit of conclusive evidence that they're real.

It's not a case that people are lying, more that there are other explanations. The problem is, people who have had experiences will never accept any other explanation.

Mysterious things happen all the time. As I type this, a voice inside my head is telling me what to to write. It's actually me, but I have no control over this inner voice, it's just always there. Last night I dreamt a very vivid dream. I needed to assign a Windows security setting to a cake to stop people from eating it. The same voice telling me to write this, also comes up with that complete and utter rubbish which feels real at the time.

The point is, we are massively complex biological machines in a massively complicated universe.

We don't function any where near 100% accurately even 50% of the time. We're all damn flakey. Add into this the fact the universe works in ways we can't always comprehend (though science will often offer reasons for things happening) and you have "the paranormal".

How can you explain "my mum saw a ghost and had a chat"? I'm not allowed to suggest subconscious day dreaming (something that happens a great deal and is proven) as it's "offensive to that person" or, "that person just isn't like that".

Reminds me of talking to the neighbours of somebody who's just gone on a killing spree "he always seemed to be so polite and quiet - I never thought he'd do that".

Erm, it's a no.

I believe that there's a lot of stuff happens that we don't understand, but that doesn't mean that I should believe in something which cannot be proven outside of anecdotal evidence based on witnesses from the human race (completely unreliable).

peep

CF Legend
As a child I thought I saw 'ghosts' but I also had a very vivid imagination (and still do) :p

I'm actually going to agree with everything Furie posted above as it sounds the most logical.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I have had an experince with a dark figure that crossed my bedroom, TV happened to go off at the same time, and wind was blowing in my face and was noicey. Thats odd, I know. But my mum has noticed a dark figure aswell. We didn't know at the time that both of us had seen it.

I'm not sure what to think. I'd say No for now, as it all could of been down to perfect timing and thats it.

I believe that "something" is out there trying to tell me something though over this last year. The numbers 9, 13, & 3 keep poping up everywhere, which is freaky. They all relate to people I know and events that I do. They lined up this year. You all know that event date. Its all happening similar to the film Knowing, just well everywhere instead of a bit of paper...

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
I'm probably a no for now but my mum told me that when she was a child she saw a figure standing at the top of her aunts staircase and he was wearing tudor clothes or something. :?

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I simply said no.

I think that too many people have played the 'experience' card and nothing constructive has come from it.
All the ghost talk has probably convinced people & alerted many a person that ghosts definately exist. This would subconciously encourage people to believe every 'mysterious thing' they see or feel for that matter, is a ghost.

The whole ghost thing is typically set at night time, in darkened places funnily enough a time when eyesight is at it's most vunerable. I just believe it's one of those scare tactics that has spiralled out of control where every other person believe they've experienced something ghost related. Again, no evidence is strong enough to defend this question.

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
I believe in them ,purely because our house is said to be haunted, and a few experiences have scared the **** out of me.

1) Mum sees man enter the bathroom, we go in to check, all our towels ripped up.

2) Sitting at dining table eating dinner, both candlesticks on shelf flew past my dads head, as iff they were thrown off the shelf.

3) One night we were in bed and heard loud crash, went into dining room, all our board games and books were thrown everywhere, we checked doors, everything was locked.

4) Went to lou one night (as you do), and saw odd lights and shadows until, I looked at the shower curtain and saw a man shaped figure, my brother and mum have also had the same experience.

5) Odd glows in my brothers bedroom and Bathroom (which are next door ot each other).

6) Sounds of footsteps in attic, has been checked for rats etc, no sign.

and finally 7) My Auntie and mum were having coffee in the kitchen when both of there cups flew off the side of their saucers and smashed (at the same time).

The only one I havn't witnessed is the last one (7).

EDITTED ON: Call me a liar at your will, there are 2 other witnesses that use this forum in the form of my brother Jools and my sister Eldeano.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
AmandaPanda said:

I have that one - took me ages to work out it's birds getting under the eaves. Sounds like there's somebody in the room with you - it's very freaky, but definitely avine.

The problem is that, as I said - every human is unreliable as a form of evidence. The answer is to get it investigated properly. Experts in the field to come in and check things out.

Sadly, despite million of such experiences, no expert has ever proven any of these things. The ghosts clearly know they're being watched and keep clear...

Did you keep the ripped towels or photograph them?

It sounds to me like your mother has some anger issues to be honest ;) :p Ripping towels and chucking stuff at your dad :D

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
furie said:
AmandaPanda said:

I have that one - took me ages to work out it's birds getting under the eaves. Sounds like there's somebody in the room with you - it's very freaky, but definitely avine.

The problem is that, as I said - every human is unreliable as a form of evidence. The answer is to get it investigated properly. Experts in the field to come in and check things out.

Sadly, despite million of such experiences, no expert has ever proven any of these things. The ghosts clearly know they're being watched and keep clear...

Did you keep the ripped towels or photograph them?

It sounds to me like your mother has some anger issues to be honest ;) :p Ripping towels and chucking stuff at your dad :D

HAHAHAHAHA, That's a keeper!

Yeh, I suppose the footsteps thing might be that, because that what it turned out to be in our "Den" which is hwta we call our converted garage which we turned into a bedroom incase you were wondering XD.

RCF

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHf4WXKY4E[/youtube]

Explain these. If you can I'll be delighted to hear it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
RollerCoasterFanatic said:
Explain these. If you can I'll be delighted to hear it.

There's nothing there that an accomplished screen magician or Derren Brown couldn't recreate perfectly.

Obviously, I don't know what these people have to gain from producing fraudulent stuff. It's not like they're making money or getting famous off it... Oh, they are - wait, I may have cracked it! ;)

If so many people have had experiences, then why is there not a single piece of solid evidence that they exist?

Hundreds of millions of people have had paranormal experiences, but nobody can show a single little bit of conclusive evidence that they're real.

It's not a case that people are lying, more that there are other explanations. The problem is, people who have had experiences will never accept any other explanation.

I understand that there are certainly other explanations for paranormal events and stuff, but there are so many videos, recorded sounds, pictures, etc, that are some sort of proof that they exist. I'm sure some are false, and some are a result of something that is not ghostly, but I do think some are real.

Another thing is when little kids who aren't old enough to know better say strange things. My sister, when she was only maybe two and had no idea what death/ghosts was (my mom shielded her from all that kinda stuff until recently), was in a cemetery and there was absolutely nobody around, and she pointed to an open area and said, look at all the people! Now, I couldn't see another explanation for that.. If she was a bit older, maybe, but her being only two and not knowing anything, I don't understand what else it could be.

Another reason I believe in ghosts is because of the fact I don't believe in any kind of religion where there's some kind of heaven that the spirit goes to, etc. I don't shoot religions down much, even though there isn't evidence that God exists either, I simply believe it's more logical that some spirits are stuck Earthbound rather than go up to some sort of heaven.

There isn't any conclusive evidence for it, but there isn't any conclusive evidence against it, so either way it doesn't really matter what anybody thinks, it's something that probably won't be known or proven until we die and see what really happens :p .