What's new

Djurs Sommerland | Drage Kongen | Intamin Suspended Family Coaster

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
A new planning permit for Djurs Sommerland has come to the surface and apart for some stuff on the new Polyp for this season, it also reveals exciting details for 2017!

I've read the document and this is what I've gathered so far:

- A new larger attraction, aimed at kids and adults is planned for 2017.
- It will have a total height of 25-28m, take up an area of 5000m2 and there will be a terrain height difference of 5m.
- The minimum height requirement to ride will be 110cm and it is also revealed that the new attraction will be located in the rather large open area between Colorado River and the entrance building.
- Work will begin in april 2016 and run until may 2017.

So looking at that info, I'd say we're looking at a new big roller coaster, which is fantastic, but at this point it's still difficult to tell just what kind we'll see.
My personal guess so far though, is a Mack Semi-Spinner like Cobra's Curse, what do you think?

Here are some images from the planning permission:

411243d1457825429-2017-neuheit-neue-achterbahn-djurs-sommerland-daenemark-1.jpg

411245d1457825432-2017-neuheit-neue-achterbahn-djurs-sommerland-daenemark-3.jpg

411246d1457825435-2017-neuheit-neue-achterbahn-djurs-sommerland-daenemark-4.jpg

Planning permission: http://www.syddjurs.dk/sites/default/fi ... _pligt.pdf

Edit: Moved to Rollercoaster Construction. - ECG

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Djurs Sommerland 2017 - New Big Attraction

Wing coaster. At least that was the original plan. It might have changed in the last two years but, yeah, a wing coaster (not sure who by) was on the cards when I first saw these plans in 2014.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

So the park has started teasing the new attraction in the park as well now...

As far as I can tell, we're looking at an Asian (Tibet/Nepal) theme with what I think is a dragon lurking behind that gate... Which ties in well with the Wing Coaster rumor...

13061958_695065263929857_6450383951386779341_n.jpg

13139347_695065260596524_4515414086694422081_n.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CoasterClubDenmark/

andrus

Giga Poster

Wing coaster rumour and a 110 cm height restriction just happens to fit the description of an S&S free-fly :p Just sayin...

andrus

Giga Poster

So the announcement has been made:

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/djurssommerland/videos/10153526760361831/[/facebookpost]

Details in english:
Model: family suspended coaster
Manufacturer: unknown (but is there any other possibility than Vekoma??)
Height: 30m
Length: 825m
Top Speed: 85km/h
Extras: they will eventually reveal something that makes this ride "completely unique"

So what do you say? I personally find it an odd choice with their closest competitor opening up a very similar coaster of presumably the same model/manufacturer only a couple of years ago. No doubt it will be a great coaster though, and looking forward to more information regarding what the "completely unique" feature will be!

TilenB

Strata Poster

andrus said:
Manufacturer: unknown (but is there any other possibility than Vekoma??)

B&M? But yeah, it's probably going to be a Vekoma...
Sounds interesting, but I agree with you, it's weird that they have opted for a same sort of ride that opened a few years ago only a couple of hours up the road. And the ride looks rather similar to Orkanen, only that it's going to be a bit bigger and faster.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, that seems a strange choice since it's essentially Orkanen.

Orkanen is fab and all but yeah.

Bit sad it's not bigger tbh.

Ben

CF Legend

To be fair it's taller and faster than Nemesis Inferno...

It just then has more family elements after it.

It'll be 'fun'.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

I think this could be an S&S. They offer a suspended family coaster on their website and this rendering kinda reminds me of the one we saw for the launched El loco

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Pink Panther said:
Are Djurs Sommerland and Farup Sommerland totally unrelated then?!

"Sommerland" means "Summer land". Basically a Scandinavian synonym for "Amusement Park". There are parks calling themselves "_____ Sommerland" all over Scandinavia, like Skara Sommarland in Sweden and Bø Sommarland in Norway.

Also, "Europe's longest and fastest family suspended coaster" doesn't seem that impressive. Sort of like "biggest kiddie coaster in the UK". Although it could possibly be very good, so I remain optimistic and curious.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

I can confirm that it is an Intamin. - So must be a new model from them?

But yes, this seems like an odd choice to me as well.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

If it's orkanen+ it could be the perfect family coaster

If it's suspended mine train ulven, it'll be pretty sweet

If it's flight of the pterasaur or kvasten+ it'll be neat enough

But if it's "intamin tornado" minus loops, it could be gross!

_koppen

Hyper Poster

I bet one of my balls it's Intamin!

Edit: oops, I missed your post Kian.

andrus

Giga Poster

So, not that I don't trust Kian, but the local newspaper posted an article where they officialy confirm that it'll be an Intamin: Randers Amtsavis

There's also a short interview with Henrik Nielsen, the park CEO, who says that the completely unique feature will be "something that roller coaster enthusiasts all over the world will be very happy about". Very interesting I must say! Henrik continues and says that the park will create a whole new Asian themed land within the next 3-4 years which will include the family suspended coaster as well as the flume (Colorado River) and the topple tower (Ørnen).

I'm personally a lot more enthusiastic now that I know it'll be an Intamin! Not that the Vekoma suspended family coasters are bad, but because it'll be a unique experience compared to Orkanen :) Still an odd choice though, but makes slightly more sense. And Intamin kick ass so this ride will probably incorporate som great forces!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Djurs Sommerland |unknown| Intamin Suspended Family Coas

I just don't understand the logic behind this. A 100 ft., 53 MPH inverted roller coaster isn't really a family coaster... it is simply a shorter, slower regular inverted roller coaster with no inversions. :razz:

Afterall, €12M Euro converts to roughly $13.3M USD. And B&M inverts typically start right in the $13-14M USD price window; OzIris actually cost exactly €12M.

This is a very elaborate family coaster, but for slightly more money you could have instead invested into a proper adult roller coaster. What's more, majority of the park's roller coasters already cater to a tamer family crowd.