What's new

"Dive Coaster" - B&M Dive Machine for Happy Va

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
We've known about this for some time now, but no topic as of yet. It started with mystery big-size track showing up at B&M's track plant in Ohio, and ended up being used on this.

http://rcdb.com/m/id4224.htm

If the current stats are correct, "Unknown" will be the tallest Diving Machine in the world, and propably the tallest Floorless coaster in the world as well.

We know that it's going to be red, making this the 6th tallest red coaster in the world (behind Steel Dragon 2000, Eejanaika, Moonsault Scramble, Diamondback and one of the Mr. Freeze models).

To get things in perspective for the British members, it will be four inches taller than PMBO.

To further elongate this post with pointless facts, it will be the tallest coaster in China, snagging the title from Dive Coaster in Chimelong Paradise.

And, as the "Unknown" Mega-Lite and Fireball, the two other coasters at the new park opening in 2009, are in progress (thanks, roomraider), chances are that this has progressed pretty far. Luckily, we've just got a Chinese member, and I hope he and Gavin and anyone else can shed some light on this.

Now discuss.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^I could say the same about Norwegian Loops (If I interpret your post corrcetly, you're afraid of Oblivion going to Oblivion, right? ;) ), but remember, the GP cares about fun, not "Nah, there are two of those in China already and two in America, I'll rather ride the originals. And I'm tired of DM credits". Besides, they look epic against the sky, and the park will surely rake in visitors on it.

And remember, at the moment only three (or four, depending on how you count Taiwan) countries have Dive Machines. So special, they are indeed.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I can see where Ben's coming from, though, in terms of layout. They have become rather formulaic lately (station, turn, lift, turn, drop, immelman, curve/helix, brakes, 2nd drop, turn/immelman, water splash, helix, brakes). I would bet that this will be one of something similar as much as I'd like to see different. Even with that kind of a layout, there still is not exactly much you can do with a ride like this. Not like this matters to anyone but enthusiasts... it's just something to note.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Dare I start it?

There's plenty you can do with a dive machine that hasn't been done yet. You can do a vertical loop for example. An idea I had was after an immelmann, have the train go right into a dive loop. There's plenty you can do with them, we just need a park to build a unique one.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm not sure if I'd trust those stats at the moment to be honest.

I'd say we're more likely to see a clone of Chimlelong's dive machine since Happy Valley really do love their clones. Having said that, Fireball is being built at the same park, and that's an original design.

Thinking about it, that could be good or bad. Good in that they're maybe moving away from clones. Bad in that they have one original design for this park, so why get another?

Either way, and I know I've said this before, Happy Valley Shanghai is shaping up to be the best of the bunch so far.

Mike T

Mega Poster
The difference with Fireball is that its designed under Gravity Group - a firm that "firmly" believes in creating unique and eloquent track designs that not only benefit the park - but benefit the ride in itself. After hearing the story of how their rides came to be from the guys directly it makes perfect sense.

What you need to take notice of is the steelie coasters - especially if you're worried about similar elements to what are seen on sister coasters. I'd be really impressed if a new layout for both the Mega Lite and the Dive Machine came to be - but I'm not holding a candle to my little wish.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Dive machine a compact roller coaster? You're joking right?

There's no room for imagination with you. Who cares if it hasn't been done? All that's needed is for it to be done. Adding a vertical loop into a turn or immelmann isn't going to stretch the layout that much. Also, what if the park has a skinny, but long footprint in which they want to fill a coaster with?

Mike T

Mega Poster
Are you sure about that? Instead of just saying stuff that comes to your mind - put some thought and maybe a little bit of supporting evidence to make your statements credible.

Do you really want to see what a vertical loop does to a ride track? Look how much track extension contributes to a normal B&M - and then apply that to the rather bulky nature of the Dive Machine...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Yes, well,.. gotta love the squabbling here, heheh.

It will indeed be interesting to see if this DM turns out to the tallest and steals Griffon's record.

Mike T

Mega Poster
What do you mean? Sounds to me like you're posting just for the hell of it - as in just for the sake of typing something...

www.rcdb.com lists the coaster as being 213' 3" tall - which would automatically make it the tallest in the world, second being Griffon (205' 0") and third being SheiKra (204' 0"). And to those who want to challenge the credibility of that information - whens the last time you've seen Duane "make stuff up"? Usually when its posted on RCDB it means it's confirmed based on some sort of factual information.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^I second everything you said, but I remember one instance some time back. A topic sprung up claming that Chimelong Paradise was to receive the world's longest Inverted coaster, which also would be vertical. It appeared on RCBD within a day.

However, all the numbers were taken from Dive Coaster's press release. Someone had written "Inverted" instead of "Vertical", and DC was stated to be 80 meters tall. Coindidentally, it was also the longest coaster in China. It is possible that the park overstates the numbers, and when those are put on RCDB, it's not Duane's fault.
Also have iSpeed in mind, RCDB states both "50 m tall" and "100 kph". Either is one wrong, or I see a lot of rollbacks coming...

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Mike T said:
What do you mean? Sounds to me like you're posting just for the hell of it - as in just for the sake of typing something...

www.rcdb.com lists the coaster as being 213' 3" tall - which would automatically make it the tallest in the world, second being Griffon (205' 0") and third being SheiKra (204' 0"). And to those who want to challenge the credibility of that information - whens the last time you've seen Duane "make stuff up"? Usually when its posted on RCDB it means it's confirmed based on some sort of factual information.

There is no proof yet, and as has already been explained stats for forthcoming coasters do change on rcdb. I posted my thoughts, that's what this place is for. :wink:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Hey
just to correct something in the first post
And, as the "Unknown" Mega-Lite and Fireball, the two other coasters at the new park opening in 2009, are complete,

Fireball has its lift hill and first drop pretty much done but not much else. and we dont have any evidence of the completed construction of the Mega-Lite at Shanghai as of yet. but it could be done :)

As a side note the Chengdu Park opening has been pushed back it would seem. Apparently the new opening date is now next summer, i would imagine this would be due to the huge earthquake Chengdu suffered this year.

Edit: A quick search found this page
http://xwwb.eastday.com/x/20081118/u1a501604.html

its mainly about fireball but does mention the other 2 coasters

In addition, the roller coaster, while the other two - fall and MEGA-coaster roller coaster has laid a total of 1,380 sets of piles and will be completed by the end of November the basis of casting cap.

So maybe some pics soon if we're lucky

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Thanks. Fixed and you're credited.

Now, I hope that the numbers aren't overstated, and that this isn't a DC clone. I also hope for some themeing, and a decent name, but that may be dreaming...

PLCP

Mega Poster
Question over here..

Could a vertical loop even be done on a DM? With how wide the trains are, it would have to be really wide just for the train to fit through, let alone a little bit of clearance room.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
yes it could. but as UC pointed out before it would take up a lot of room. I mean personally i think its possible we may see one in the future but it depends on the area of land the park want to use for the coaster.
Unfortunately unlike dive machines built in the USA we have no idea on the area of land this ride will use so its impossible and ultimately pointless to guess.

Goliath123

Mega Poster
I see your point, the rides are mainly for the vert drops not the loops/inversions, but if they were for the drops why would they have an immelman, it's an inversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.