Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes - Still had to pay the bill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Haven't been scammed yet!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Long story short, a plumber did not provide the services my wife had requested and still charged our credit card. I am in the process of a dispute, and was wondering what the success rate was for fellow CF members?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I've never been charged for services that weren't provided, as is your case, but I have had overcharges, deposits and fraudulent charges that have been refunded when I disputed them.

Snoo

The Legend
ECG said:
I've never been charged for services that weren't provided, as is your case, but I have had overcharges, deposits and fraudulent charges that have been refunded when I disputed them.

This guy. Usually, disputing a charge, especially if its large, ends up in a win. Asking your bank what you would need would be your best bet.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Phone your bank/credit card provider. They'll refund you pretty much instantly and then do the leg work. Legally, you have an agreement with the credit card company, not the plumber, at least if you're in the UK.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
For a follow up, not that anyone cares...

I got a letter stating the charges would stand, that the merchant basically said they did the work so it was valid.

I phoned customer service to question how that could be, as I was still having issues and have to basically shut off the water valve every time I use the toilet. They said OK, please file a complaint in writing, and send it to the corporate office for an "escalated" dispute. I have added pictures to the letter, but now I am stuck via snail mail while I wait for this to get worked out.

Ben

CF Legend
^Out of interest, do you mind telling us who the card is held with?

My secret bit of advice if you haven't already sent it would be address your complaint to the chief executive - they'll have a separate team that looks into these complaints a lot quicker than they do the other complaints.

If you're then still not happy with the result, I'd definitely escalate it to the Financial Ombudsman. I'd add that as a threat to the letter too if you can.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
It is a Mastercard through J.P Morgan Chase. I faxed my dispute of the dispute, and included a fairly lengthy portion about me being a loyal customer for 7 years, this was my first issue, I am thankful for all of their hardwork in resolving the matter, etc....

marc

CF Legend
I've tried dealing with them over a different issue and they are useless. They have £1000 of mine and they have no idea where it is!

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Another update:

Chase continued to ignore multiple faxes and letters. I disputed the charges with the Better Business Bureau, after about 3 weeks of back and forth the company agreed to refund the disputed amount.

Long story short, I would look to an agency like the BBB before going to the CC, if I was ever in this situation again.