What's new

Disneyland Resort Paris - 30/03/09 - 03/04/09 Big PTR

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Part 7 - Parade & Disney's Santa Fe Hotel

S7302270.jpg

So everyday, Disney has a parade that cuts the park in two. If your in Discoveryland but are wanting to get to any other land while the parade is on you will find yourself thwarted at every turn.

S7302273.jpg

YOU SHALL NOT CROSS!!

S7302276.jpg

Anyways the parade is the usual Disney stuff..

S7302282.jpg

it has a FRIGGIN' HUUGE FREAKY ALICE AHHHHH

S7302287.jpg

And Pinocchio

S7302290.jpg

And greeen men.

S7302293.jpg

I dunno what it is about Woody and Girl Woody, but their big heads freak me out. I think they just remind me of giant babies, which nobody wants..

S7302300.jpg

Tigger had AWSOME shoes. OMG I want a pair. Then I can go about my daily business while JUMPING OVER PEOPLE HUZZAAAH

S7302306.jpg

OMG IS PETER PAN A GIRL OR A BOY?!?! I CAN'T TELL

S7302311.jpg

Yaay penguin awesomeness!

S7302312.jpg

Feeeed the buuuurds.. tuppence a baag!

S7302316.jpg

Evil float

S7302321.jpg

Ursula is all like GIMME YOUR VOICES

S7302326.jpg

Lion King..

S7302330.jpg

Baloo wearing a bra..

S7302336.jpg

Crazy elephant thing that I can see haunting me in my dreams..

S7302341.jpg

Reject Princess 1

S7302343.jpg

Reject Princess 2... These princesses arn't important enough to get to ride on the main princess float. Gutted.

S7302344.jpg

S7302346.jpg

S7302347.jpg

Whereas these ones do. As does Aurora off of sleeping beauty, but she was hiding

Onto my hotel! Santa Fe is located opposite Hotel Cheyenne, on the other side of the Rio Grande River..

S7302390.jpg

Said river..

S7302391.jpg

In no particular order, here are some shots of the theming and hotelage.

S7302392.jpg

Styled around Mexican Pueblo hut buildings apparently.

S7302395.jpg

It has authentic dumped 'theming'. "Yay kids! Lets go play on the old rusty car! WHO CAN GET TETANUS FIRST" :D

S7302402.jpg

For some reason your not allowed to touch the cactus, you might hurt its feelings.

S7302404.jpg

Some of the kids play areas deffinately had an authentic 'dogging' feel to them.

S7302407.jpg

But I joke, the hotel is actually quite nice.

S7302408.jpg

Its decorated nicely in its desert style.

S7302409.jpg

You get some nice views from the top here.

S7302411.jpg

See.

S7302412.jpg

Its nice how the buildings get taller the further back they are set, giving a multiplicity of heights when seen from the front and making sure no building is hidden.

S7302413.jpg

This is in the middle of the Snake section. At first we had no clue as to what it was, but you can tell from this angle.

S7302400.jpg

We then jumped really far and were at the top of it.

S7302415.jpg

It has a randomly placed 1950's UFO.

S7302417.jpg

And some nice rock features placed randomly. The strange shape ontop of that building is to represent the roadrunner & Balancing rocks that make the area famous.

S7302420.jpg

This was right outside my building.

S7302419.jpg

My room was located on the top floor of building 50. The only one that was black and white. This was apparently part of the buffalo's story, representing the light and dark of humanity or something.. It also had 4 other coloured buildings behind.

S7302532.jpg

Room was tastefully tacky in its decoration.

S7302538.jpg

A nice shot of the lights. The big sign you can see is actually a fake drive in theatre screen, locating the entrance to the hotel. Next door is 'La Cantina'

S7302540.jpg
]
The buffet restaurant..

S7302541.jpg

This was definitely the nicest themed part of the hotel.

S7302542.jpg

See. Lovely.

S7302543.jpg

They did mega awsome free breakfasts here. We ate LOADS.

S7302544.jpg

And one last look at the entrance. We waited till friday to take a picture of this part, and unfortunately the weather was a bit overcast that day =(

That brings me to the end of this part! Next up will deffinatley be Walt Disney Studios.

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm loving this trip report BTW. Can't wait for the next update.
The Santa Fe hotel is ugly. :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's not ugly, it's themed! (It is ugly, looks like a prison) I stayed in the black building too =] I bet they put all people who book a room at Santa Fe aged 25 and under without a family group in that building, seems like a Disney thing to do.

Apparently the UFO thing is something to do with Roswell?

I really hate the Disney parades apart from Spectromagic (<3) the floats never seem different to me.

Still, great PTR can't wait for more =D

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ Haha I know what you mean about the parade, I was saying 'I swear this was the daytime one from Florida..', but I guess theres only so much you can do with a couple of floats and dancing people.

Mark

Strata Poster
Yeah, they are definately different floats from the first visit which was years back. They tend to only change the shows on a biannually basis I believe, sometimes less.

It's definately different from the Orlando show though. Although, as Crazycoaster said, there really is only so much you can do with the floats and dancing people. Although the ones in the states were just that little bit better :p

Great pictures of a very boring hotel tehe. That was where I stayed the very first time I visited DLP. Since then I have stayed Sequoia Lodge, which is just absolutely gorgeous and authentically rustic and then the Disneyland Hotel for my birthday last year. Needless to say, it was one of the best birthdays I have ever ever had. I love the main hotel. Waking up in the morning overlooking the park and everything. Was tres amazing.

Anyways, back to Santa Fe and the pictures, I have always found the hotel looks almost tacky with the neon strip lighting along the sides... does anyone else think that? It just all looks so bland, I know that is the point, but it's so square and one colour it's horrid. Like slums. Not the best "theme" for a hotel really. Even the "economy" hotels in the states (at Orlando and CA) are much nicer and still look the Disney part.

peep

CF Legend
I think I've watched that parade too many times (must be about 15 times), I'm very bored of it now. They rarely change a parade as they cost a fortune to make. The current Once Upon A Dream Parade has been around since 2007 now.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Santa Fe but at least it's well themed and fairly cheap. The UFO always makes me lol when I walk past it, I dunno why.

marc

CF Legend
The worst parade was the one in the Studio Park, thank god thats going or gone :)

But the one they are getting is not much better.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
See I liked the parade because its a great crowd absorber and makes the queues shorter around the park, but my biggest gripe with it was the fac that if you were in discoveryland and wanted to go to fantasyland, you had to walk all the way down to the entrance and do a big loop of main st. They should have areas where you can cross supervised by cast members every now and then or something similar.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Part 8 - Walt Disney Studios.

S7302424.jpg

We see you Studios!

S7302124.jpg

During our visit, Studio 1 was being refurbed.

S7302125.jpg

Entrance

S7302126.jpg

This is the entrance plaza. Its not really that interesting tbh. Although the screen covering the front of Studio 1 makes it look like I bodged stuck it there in paint!

S7302243.jpg

It has a funky fountain though.

S7302240.jpg

They made sure the Earful Tower was much more prominent in this park.

S7302238.jpg

I didn't have any interesting pictures of Studio 1. It basically consists of a restaurant on one side and a shop that sells generic stuff on the other side.

S7302216.jpg

Yeaaah look at my amazing photo skills...

S7302218.jpg

The Partners Statue. Strangely not located in the Magic Kingdom parks like Tokyo or Florida. But atleast it has one, Hong Kong still lacks Walt.

S7302137.jpg

The rear of studio 1

S7302147.jpg

Straight ahead we have one of them fake road things, I forget what they call this?

S7302157.jpg

At the bottom is the Studio Tram Tour.

S7302170.jpg

This version also contains catastrophe canyon.

S7302172.jpg

SPLAAAASHHH

S7302180.jpg

Then it also has random Dinotopia..

S7302189.jpg

And some props of stuff. I won't bore you with pictures of those.

S7302188.jpg

GRRR IM TOWER!

S7302195.jpg

And reign of fire. There was a massive build up to this area and then..

S7302197.jpg

..just a bit of fire. No animatronic dragon or anything pffft.

S7302198.jpg

Still it looked quite cool.

S7302205.jpg

Ooooh spoooky.

S7302220.jpg

This is the majoritory of the park, theres not much here really.

S7302214.jpg

BUT YAAY MICKEY

S7302146.jpg

aaand me.

S7302143.jpg

Apparently when the park first opened it didn't even have any of these facades... What exactly DID this park have when it opened?! =S

S7302587.jpg

Tower of Terror is all like "YOU CANT SEE MEEE".

S7302136.jpg

"BONJOUR! TOUT LA FRUIT!" says Tower.

S7302135.jpg

Tower has awsome fastpass machines. Im awsome for thinking that.

S7302215.jpg

An ever so different shot of Tower..

S7302590.jpg

I couldn't be bothered to wait for the sparkly lights to turn on..

S7302228.jpg

It has nice floor. This whole area creeped Danny out the whole time because of the music.

S7302229.jpg

Entrance. Its nice and all.

S7302230.jpg

Cobwebby.

S7302231.jpg

Broken elevators.. Has anyone ever seen the Made-for-TV movie about Tower of Terror? It has Kirsten Dunst in! =O

S7302232.jpg

Some random machinery.

S7302208.jpg

GRRR IM A BIG FACE IN THE BOILER!

S7302235.jpg

Is this actually supposed to look like a comical face?

S7302226.jpg

Anyways next up is the toooon studio.

S7302581.jpg

And time for Monsters Inc poses!

S7302583.jpg

Check!

S7302579.jpg

The Art of Animation. It was okay. Bit boring and the second part with Mooshu was so loud and in french that I couldn't hear the english headphones at all! Am glad I saw this part in Florida.

S7302586.jpg

MICKEEEY!

S7302148.jpg

I thought this picture was awsome. I wanted to steal it.

S7302578.jpg

It has Animagique. A bit like Philharmagic mixed with Koruko and Finding Nemo the musical.

S7302150.jpg

They have one of Disney's famous generic spinny rides.

S7302151.jpg

This time with added Genie!

S7302128.jpg

They have a cars ride yaay!

S7302154.jpg

See. Cars.

S7302156.jpg

These are the best characters :D

S7302153.jpg

Turns out it was just a poopy spin ride too. We didn't fancy the 40 minute ride for teacups..

S7302572.jpg

The area looks nice though.

S7302573.jpg

See. It does!

S7302127.jpg

This is certainly the best ride in the park. But the only way to ride it without a 50 minute queue is to do it right at the beginning of the day..

S7302133.jpg

It has a random outside part.

S7302152.jpg

The buildings so unusually themed. I couldn't work out whether it was trying to be a studio or trying to be a complete themed ride?

S7302132.jpg

Once again.. its france thats blurry not me :D

S7302131.jpg

The station is nice.

S7302130.jpg

But im sure everyones seen pictures like this before.

S7302571.jpg

Seen it before!

S7302155.jpg

And my final picture of Toon studios. This area should hopefully be much nicer once all the Pixar stuff is added.

S7302213.jpg

One more look at Tower!

S7302142.jpg

On t'other side of Tower is 'Armagedon: Something in french'. Its ehhh. Okay I guess.

S7302593.jpg

I didn't really enjoy that film all that much, its too much AMERICA IS THE BEST WE SAVE EVERYONE!

S7302145.jpg

They have Cinemagique. This was actually probably the best done show in the park in terms of the language barrier.

S7302140.jpg

They have the original car show. Its pretty good. I would have gotten pictures but we lost our camera on Space Mountain the morning we saw it LOL. Well done Disney for getting it back by the afternoon though! :D

S7302203.jpg

I did get this shot from the Tram tour though =)

S7302139.jpg

Tower Butt!

S7302138.jpg

Rock'n'Rollercoaster. I really can't decide which version I prefer out of this one and Floridas. The different effects inside make both worth riding. Shame we only got to do it once, as on the Wednesday we visited the ride caught on fire..

http://www.screamscape.com/html/disneyland_paris.htm

A tad more info on that here..

S7302241.jpg

Now its time to head back to superior neighbour park YAAY!

S7302244.jpg

And with that brings the end of my Trip Report.

I hope you all enjoyed it! :D Sorry about the lack of good photos of the Studios park, but honestly theres not much there at all. It makes a good add on to the main park, but alone it wouldn't stand a chance.

I shall try to upload a Trip Report of Europa Park soon, which I visited shortly after my trip to Paris.

Ollie

CF Legend
Aww is it really the end? :(
I wouldn't mind going back to the Studios. When I went they were still building ToT. So I've still yet to ride that, Cars and Crushes Coaster.
The studios does need more to do, but they are adding stuff gradually.

Also, I too was expecting a big animatronic dragon on the Tram tour and was disappointed with a simple flame thing.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ Crush's coaster is supprisingly awsome. It really caught me off guard how fast it went, maybe just because it was dark but it seemed much more fun compared to Spinball or Fury.

Although I was a tad dissapointed in the fact that as soon as you get off the lift hill the amazing theming throughout disapears and the rest of the ride is in the dark with a couple of bubbles projected here and there.

I think during my visit the tram tour was cut short too, as I read somewhere that your supposed to go through a costume making department? Id assume this was because of all the work going on in the area.

Im really not sure what else this park is missing, but it really does need something big to keep guests in. Maybe a Dinosaur/Indiana jones adventure ride wouldnt go amiss, or even something like Phantasmic or the Indy show at Hollywood studios.

Ollie

CF Legend
We didn't go through any costume department when I went on the tram. We saw a building that we drove past though that could of been it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

That's a fair amount of station crew there. Were so many people really necessary to operate the coaster? Or was it a random group in blue vests, without connection to the park?

marc

CF Legend
They need that many people, and you should see the speed of them. Remember the trains do not stop and there is 2 or 3 trains in the station at a time. So 2 ops per train from what I remember.

Merlin could learn a lesson from them :)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ This was taken just as the ride opened, there were about 20 or so people ahead of me, maybe they were there to take the initial rush?

Their operations were kinda weird, you had to put your hands up and they wouldn't let you put your own harnesses down. I guess its the easiest way for them to make sure the lapbars lock?

peep

CF Legend
Crazycoaster said:
Their operations were kinda weird, you had to put your hands up and they wouldn't let you put your own harnesses down. I guess its the easiest way for them to make sure the lapbars lock?

Yeah, they seem to have only started doing that, it's really odd. It really annoyed one peep we saw which was just odd, why get annoyed about it?

Studios getting additions gradually? It took them years to build ToT and since 2007 5 attractions have opened in the park, another 3 are getting added next year. I don't think I've ever seen a park add so much in such a small amount of time.

I think the Tram tour is the worst attraction in the whole resort it needs a mega update (no-one watched Dinotopia). Your not missing out really with the costume department, you just go past a few windows, some with clothing and props and a few which look into the clothing department for DLRP.