What's new

Disneyland Paris/Studios - March 19th

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Weird how I've put this off for so long when I have literally nothing to do with my time at the moment....

I haven't taken many pictures, since there are millions around anyway, and there's nothing people here haven't seen before. I only really take pictures at parks that haven't undergone the trip report treatment a million times.

Anyway, I woke up on the Thursday morning after having very little sleep thanks to catching up with old friends, got to the RER station and got stuck behind a dumbass American family who somehow managed to take close to half an hour to get tickets by the time they'd asked the woman behind the counter about a million questions, and were very, very proud of themselves when they managed to say, "merci" at the end of it all, oblivious to the huge queue of Eurotrash forming behind them, hopping from side to side like a line of distressed penguins.

The same family tried to ask me a question as we were all getting on the train. Obviously, the inquisition at the ticket counter, plus the massive, easy-to-understand screen on the platform wasn't enough. I gave them my best French shrug and walked 5 carriages down, just to be on the safe side.

Most people have probably stopped reading now, so here’s a picture!

DSC09714.jpg

I’d bought a 2 park, 1 day ticket online and actually headed into the studios first. I was in the park about 20 minutes after opening and already Crush’s Coaster had a 45 minute wait.

DSC09704.jpg

I thought this was pretty good really. I hadn’t seen or read much about it beforehand, but I’d put it as my number 2 spinner, behind Comet Express.

Grabbed a fast pass for Tower of Terror, which was a mistake, and went for the park’s other coaster.

DSC09712.jpg

Again, really enjoyed this coaster, too. It had a 5 minute wait all day from what I could see, so had a fair few goes on it. I’d been wanting to try this type of coaster for a while, and it didn’t disappoint.

What did disappoint was that ToT was now down when I went back with my fastpass.

DSC09707.jpg

The tram tour only had a few minutes wait, so I gave that a go. Not much to say about that really. The fire/water bit was cool, but the rest was a waste of time really.

ToT was still down, so, extremely glad I hadn’t taken most people’s advice and opted for a full day here, I headed to the main park.

DSC09739.jpg

I should just point out that the picture was taken later in the day, just before the parade was due to start. The park wasn’t too busy at all really.

I can’t remember the exact order of stuff, but I think I rode Thunder Mountain first, which I ended up waiting about 20 minutes for.

DSC09721.jpg

It was ok, not great but ok. I liked the dark sections a lot, but the whole thing just felt a bit slow really. I know it’s a family coaster, but it just didn’t do anything for me. I want to try and avoid comparing to other parks too much, but when it’s Disney it’s hard not to do that. Tokyo’s version is a lot better, with a decent drop, which Paris just doesn’t have.

Next up was Phantom Manor, which I thought was great.

DSC09726.jpg

The outside is easily the best-looking of the bunch, and the ride inside is much better than the others I’ve tried, too. The “ghost in the car” effect wasn’t working, but still a great ride.

DSC09725.jpg

I was expecting to really dislike Indiana Jones, since it’s essentially the same thing as Raging Spirits, which I think is poo.

DSC09730.jpg

I liked this though. Raging Spirits is really smooth; Indiana Jones isn’t. I didn’t find it rough at all, but the fact that it wasn’t glass-smooth actually gives it a personality that RS doesn’t have. The theming of Indiana Jones is much better, too.

Sorry, but on to some more bitching. Pirates. What happened? It looks fantastic from the outside, much, much better than the non-descript entrances elsewhere, but it was a really big letdown.

DSC09735.jpg

I can’t remember any of them scene for scene, but this version seemed to be missing a lot to me. Another ride that gets completely trounced by Tokyo, and their version is older.

Casey Junior was closed, which I was expecting, so no major disappointment there. Peter Pan was as lame as the others I’ve been on. I didn’t bother with Snow White or Pinnochio, since I couldn’t imagine they’d be much different from any other versions, so it was on to Space Mountain: Mission 2.

DSC09737.jpg

I’ve bitched about this POS in a couple of other topics now, so not going to do it too much again here, but I hated it. As a stand-alone coaster, it would be crap. The effects are really nowhere near as amazing as I’ve heard them made out to be (maybe just on that day, who knows?), and I later noticed bruises on my shoulders.

DSC09738.jpg

I tried it a second and third time, and it did seem a bit better, so maybe I was sitting awkwardly the first time, but it’s still crap.

After a while, I headed back to the Studios to see if ToT was back up and running.

DSC09710.jpg

It was, luckily, and had a “half hour” wait. Just as I got inside the building, they closed it down again, and turned away everyone in the queue who wasn’t already inside. Only one elevator was working at this point, but they kept it going to clear the queue.

So, luckily, I’d just made it inside in time to ride, and ended up in the last elevator of the day since it didn’t reopen, but ended up waiting an hour for it.

Again, have to make a comparison here. The Tokyo version looks much, much better from the outside and has a much, much better preshow. However, the drop sequence on Paris’s version seems to be a lot stronger. Tokyo’s tower is actually pretty weak, so Paris “wins” with regard to the towers.

Cinemagique was about to start after I got off ToT. All I’m going to say about that is that Martin Short is never appropriate, but it was nice to sit down for a while.

Ok, so some overall impressions. I hate to say it, but Paris is my least favourite Disney park/resort. It’s still great, don’t get me wrong, when compared to 90% of parks elsewhere, but when compared to other Disney places, it just didn’t measure up for me.

Despite the studios having some very good rides (what there are of them), I found it to have absolutely zero atmosphere.

I also found it to be slightly pointless having Mission 2 and RnR right next to each other. Maybe it’s different if you do the parks on different days, but they just seem so similar in type

Before anyone jumps on me for that, I know how different they are in terms of layout and theme, but looking at it from the GP’s perspective, they come across as very similar rides. You’d never know/ be able to work out the layouts from a ride or two. They’re both indoor, dark coasters. They’re both launched. They both have soundtracks/lighting effects, and they both invert.

Anyway, I’ve written way too much, and sorry if the report seemed a bit whiney, but I was just expecting a lot more from a Disney park.

peep

CF Legend
It's a shame that its your least favourite out of the Disney resorts. The Studios had such a better atmosphere when they had cinefolies about. It's such a shame they got rid of them.

Glad you enjoyed most of it though. With Space I really do believe you only get a good ride if you know how to embrace certain parts.

marc

CF Legend
Gavin, you have the same feelings about the place as I have.

I can not believe they are still having problems with ToT, it kept breaking down back in October when we went.

spicy

Giga Poster
See its weird. I think Paris is far superior to Florida's studios and Magic Kingdom and some other people think it doesn't come close.

I can't see Paris's not being as good as Tokyo's which is what you were mostly comparing it to, but I haven't ever been to Tokyo's so I can't really say for sure.

Paris's Disney resort is probably my favourite theme park resort I have ever been too and I have been to quite a few.

Although what I will say Gavin, if I went rushing round trying to get everything done in one day, I doubt I would enjoy it that much either.

If I go for 4 nights taking my time and just soaking it all up (and at Christmas which is arguably the best time of year) I am undoubtedly going to have a better time then you did.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
It's been a few years since I've been (so no ToT or Crush) but the studios is very dull and bland, especially for a Disney park.

I agree completely with Space Mountain. Florida's just owns it completely. I always seem to not be able to get my harness down without it straining my shoulders, and obviously that has an impact on the ride. It's strange, no other coaster seems to! It's an alright ride, but not epic in any way shape or form.

I actually disagree with Indiana Jonesl. I go sometimes and genuinly forget it's there (since it's at the back and everything) and I just don't care. But I really like Pirates, that version owns California's, which just seems to last for about seven years.

Cheers gavin, I enjoyed reading that. :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Spicy said:
I can't see Paris's not being as good as Tokyo's which is what you were mostly comparing it to, but I haven't ever been to Tokyo's so I can't really say for sure.

Tokyo craps all over Paris on every level, from ride selection, ride quality, theming and atmosphere. Again, Disney Paris is a great park if you compare it to non-Disney places, but out of the Disney "family" of parks, it really is the poor, council-estate cousin. I haven't been to California though, so can't really judge there.

Although what I will say Gavin, if I went rushing round trying to get everything done in one day, I doubt I would enjoy it that much either.

That's the thing though, I didn't have to rush at all. I was there for opening, and both parks were fairly quiet. I had to wait 30 minutes for Crush, 10-20 minutes each time for BTMR (rode it 3 times), and an hour for ToT because of break downs, but everything else was walk on.

I was done at the studios by noon, including riding RnR 5 times. I easily managed to ride (practically) everything at the main park, with multiple rerides on the major attractions, before ending the day at the studios with ToT and a show.

I've mentioned in other topics that I'm much more of a park whore than a credit whore. I never rush around parks just to get credits in. Actually, I usually end up giving myself way too much time at parks, so I was worried about trying to take in both parks in the same day. However, I'm glad that I did that now, since the studios has very little to take in anyway.

marc

CF Legend
These parks you really have to go with the right people and at the right time of year I think.

1st time I went the studio park was not there and it was crap, I said I would never go back.
2nd time the studio park had just opened but was rubbish just boring.
3rd time I went for their xmas stuff and had a great time loved it.
4th time was for Halloween, and we had done Halloween the year before in Orlando so I had high hopes. We were let down big time by both the park feeling tatty and the staff and guests. We still had a good time but we had also done California earlier in the year. DLP as you say might have the Disney name, might have some of the rides but it lacks everything that makes the other parks special.

Mark and I were talking about it before, the park just lacks rides. It has lots of places to eat and lots of wasted space but hardly and rides. You go to one area for one ride Indiana Jones then have to walk all the way back past places that I have never seen open.

I have never spent a whole day in the studio park there is just not enough to do, even with the new rides that only add an hour or so to the time there.

Will be a good few years before I go back, its just to expensive as well always has been.

I know not everyone agrees so thats cool, was just nice to hear that someone thought the same as me for once lol.