What's new

Disneyland paris questions

Mark

Strata Poster
caffeine_demon said:
Personaly, I really liked DLRP - prefering it to WDW in Orlando.

Casey Jr is a nice kiddy coaster, and indy is nowhere near as bad as some people say. And fantasyland is a great themed area.
The studios also have some good highlights, although it's not quite a "complete" park.

However -SM was dire, and BTM was quite disappointing after all the hype I'd heard about it - nowhere near as good as colorado express.

Oh dont get me wrong. I love DLP. As a general Disney fan I love it all. BUT I do recognise fundamental flaws at DLP which come across as very un-disney and this is the Franchise element shining through. As parks both Anaheim and the Magic Kingdom at Orlando are far nicer and more "Disney". The only thing that I honestly believe really stands out in it's own right for DLP is the Castle and the general theme for Discoveryland (as a tribute to Jules Vern and so on).

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
@ploddish

cheers for the info, should be ok tbh but will just have to play it by ear......

With the essence of DLP i find it to be well i dont know more themed IMO. I think this is due to the fact of the castle and its surroundings and other elements such as (i know it is SBNO but) the windmill ride it looks fantastic even if it doesnt work. But i feel thats the thing with DLP that needs to be addressed the up keep i think is the worst but the themeing sometimes rivals all the other disney parks expect disney sea, for obvious reasons lol

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Lots of slagging off DLP here.

Considering that DLP has the best overall design of all Disney parks, I'm finding it hard to understand the arguments that the American magic kingdom-style parks are better. The whole park is much more elaborate, much more thought out, with tiny details that you just don't get in the other parks.

Space Mountain, I will admit, is quite rough and a little disappointing. But it was once a fantastic Disney coaster, possibly the best, before it was changed to Mission 2. I still think it is harsh to call it the "worst" Disney coaster though. Surely things like Primeval Whirl or Mulholland Madness get that spot?

The arguments that the American Big Thunder Mountain's are better I don't understand at all. The Paris version is faster, has more details, has a better location, and has two great underground tunnels.

I really don't like this common stereotype that the American Disney parks are much better than DLP, or that DLP is less "Disney".

Ben

CF Legend
I'll add my two pence I think...

Paris, and everything in it, absolutely and completely sucks compared to both US Disneys. And, it's in France.

Thanks.

marc

CF Legend
My comments are based on California not Orlando.

The detail in the park in California is better than Paris and Orlando, the shops look real not fake. The rides have far more theming, BTM in California blows the rest away.

The staff in DLP just seem to work there, they do not create any magic moments at all. A lot walk round with long faces. That is my main problem with the place.

DLP is a really nice park to look at, I just don't find it Disney. For me its a taster of what Disney parks are like.

We I agree that Primeval and Mulholland are the worst coasters along with the Vekoma kiddy coasters. But out of the big coasters for me its the worst one.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
I've never been to California, but going by reviews/pictures/videos etc. it does seem to be the best park for things like service, maintenance, and entertainment. I'd say it is overall a better experience than Paris, I just don't see how is has a better design or is more detailed.

About the staff - it is not French culture to go round all day with beaming smiles on their faces, asking people if they're having a nice day etc... you need to understand that when you go to DLP. I know it can a while to get used to. But at least you know that if a Cast Member smiles at you at DLP, it is real. :)

marc

CF Legend
Pictures and POV's do not do the park in California justice.

I now know 3 people from here who have been who have said they were shocked by the park.

And that BTM there is the best one.

When you walk round the park and look at the building the detail on them is just amazing, honestly it has to be seen. Every where you look in California it has something, DLP has a whole mass of land where there is nothing other than a food place.

I agree about the French, which is why the park should not have been there.

I do not mean to keep putting the park down, but I went there with an open mind and out of 4 visits I have fully enjoyed 1. It is not just the cast members it the quality of the shows the parades its just everything.

Some people seem to love it, but most of the people that do have not been to the other parks. I agree the park looks better than Orlando in areas but it should do its newer.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
marc said:
When you walk round the park and look at the building the detail on them is just amazing, honestly it has to be seen. Every where you look in California it has something, DLP has a whole mass of land where there is nothing other than a food place.
Where is the mass of land with nothing in it? If you're talking about the Studios park I can understand, but not Disneyland Park. It is the most elaborate magic kingdom-style park in the world, definitely. There are lots of extra details, stories and hidden areas which you just don't get at the other parks. I mean, you can't deny that Main Street in Paris is far more detailed than in California. Fantasyland in Paris is very beautiful and well designed too.

marc said:
I agree about the French, which is why the park should not have been there.
No, it's just something you have to understand. You can't expect to go to France and have American-style service.

I agree that the entertainment in Paris is bad though. There are hardly any live bands anymore. No barbershop quartet, no trash can drummers, no ragtime painist...... all there is toons, toons, and more toons. It's sad because DLP used to have the best of everything when it first opened in 1992.

marc

CF Legend
I find the walk from BTM to Indie bland, there is just not much there.

Then the walk from Indie to Pirates, if you go the way I normally go there is just a food place that I have never seen open.

Once you get the Skull Rock area then its very good, I like that area.

I do not expect the park to be the same as America in terms of staff etc, I just expect it to be better than what it is. It is getting there though, my 1st visit when they just got Space Mountain I said I would never go back.

The park has moved on a lot since then and is getting better.

Main Steet in California blow DLP away, the shops in California look real not just bit of wood with a front on them. It's hard to explain.

Fantasyland in California again is better, the building again have far more detail. Just the craft work on the building is stunning, so much detail.

As I said you can not judge from pictures. I used to think the detail in Paris was good until I went to California.

California has many faults as well though trust me on that one, dirty loos etc path ways that need to be redone. But they are doing the things that need doing.

Mark

Strata Poster
jacoaster said:
About the staff - it is not French culture to go round all day with beaming smiles on their faces, asking people if they're having a nice day etc... you need to understand that when you go to DLP. I know it can a while to get used to. But at least you know that if a Cast Member smiles at you at DLP, it is real. :)

and

jacoaster said:
No, it's just something you have to understand. You can't expect to go to France and have American-style service.

American style service or do you mean Disney-Style service?
I don't go expecting the "American-Style Service". I expect the DISNEY-STYLE service. Something that the French are a lot more reluctant to buy into for their own cultural reasons. Not all American theme parks adopt this service either. It is a vast difference between what is American style service and what is Disney. I know a few people who can vouch and agree that the level and attitude of service matches the Disney mantra when in the Tokyo and Hong Kong so why can it not be so in Paris? This is the biggest factor i what lacks at Paris. The whole atmosphere just isn't there in Paris like it is in the states.

I agree that in terms of aesthetics and architecture Paris does win over, in many cases. In the initial designs of the park there is a lot of beauty and little touches that make it rule. But this has never moved beyond what was built in the first place. Especially when you look over at the Studios park.

As I said previously, Paris has a beautiful castle which the fantastic dragon cave underneath. The style of Discoveryland is fantastic, paying homage to greats such as Jules Vern. They certainly made the right choice in opting to go for Discoveryland as apose to the ever changing look at the future that is supposed to be Tommorowland.

The idea that BTM goes under the lake through the tunnels on to the island makes it very cool in principal. Whether the coaster travels at greater speeds is irrelevant to me. Because even if it is faster, it still feels sluggish and as though it limps around the circuit from one hill to the next. The only saving grace is the bat tunnel at the very end. California's on the other hand has moments of very good intensity and even an almost woodie style out of control feel. It's just a better coaster.

In terms of empty spaces in DLP, I don't think Marc means empty in the sense of EMPTY. There is a lot over in the west of the park which is just endless pathways that eventually lead you over to Indie and more that lead to Skull Rock. It may have beautiful scenery, but it does lack anything beyond that.

Yes, fantasyland and main street in Paris are nicely done. Very much so. But California is done better. In terms of storytelling, history, style, design, detail and beauty. California has a much smaller castle for instance, owing to Walt opting to not intimidate and over impose on Children with a huge Castle structure. (Something that he later decided was not actually an issue, hence the Orlando castle). Does the smaller castle mean something is missing or the magic isn't there. Not in the least as it is so well done.

Despite the very well noted beauty and design of Paris (I am in total agreement) it isn't quite there alongside California or even Orlando. This is further detracted by the quality of service, which again, just misses that "Disney-Magic" feel. Finally, the attractions, which, for a large majority, also do not match their American counterparts.

Having said all this, it is worth bearing in mind. I have very little doubt that for a person who has visited Paris and only Paris, the magic is there in abundance. BUT, when you do venture out into the stateside parks you see it and feel it to a whole new level which then leaves you with a little bit of a downer towards Paris because however good it might be, it simply doesn't match the magic of Disney CA or FL.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
I've been to Florida, and I definitely can't say that it was better than DLP. The state of some of the attractions over there was awful, and I've heard it hasn't got better. Magic Kingdom is a very poor park. No where near as detailed as the others in Paris or California, and some attractions are of a very poor quality. Pirates immediately comes to mind.

Hollywood Studios was cramped and in my opinion Tower Of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, though fun, were not as good as their Parisian counterparts. It wasn't a welcoming park at all.

Animal Kingdom and Epcot I loved however.

In all the parks there was bad maintenance, and the service wasn't great. I also found other guests in Florida to be quite rude at times. The atmosphere wasn't very special - there wasn't music playing everywhere you go like there is in Paris. The weather in Florida is dreadful. The spread out layout of the resort was very unhelpful too.

I can understand California being better than Paris, but not Florida. Sorry!

I don't go expecting the "American-Style Service". I expect the DISNEY-STYLE service. Something that the French are a lot more reluctant to buy into for their own cultural reasons.
And that is exactly what you have to understand. In France it is seen as rude for a staff member to approach someone unless asked, for example. Also, lots of Europeans don't like American-style/Disney-style service. They actually complain about the "fakeness" of American service. This is actually something I love about DLP. If a Cast Member looks like they're enjoying themselves, they really are, it's not fake. :)

I can't deny that there are a few "bad" Cast Members at DLP though. I once saw one of the ride hosts leaning up again a wall istening to an i-Pod in Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, taking no notice of the guests. :roll:

In terms of empty spaces in DLP, I don't think Marc means empty in the sense of EMPTY. There is a lot over in the west of the park which is just endless pathways that eventually lead you over to Indie and more that lead to Skull Rock. It may have beautiful scenery, but it does lack anything beyond that.
Two reasons for that: 1) the park hasn't developed enough yet to fill any "empty" spaces, and 2) Disney parks are not about rides, they about stories and immersive theming. The areas that you mentioned are, despite lack of attractions, very well themed an immersive. :wink:

Mark

Strata Poster
jacoaster said:
And that is exactly what you have to understand. In France it is seen as rude for a staff member to approach someone unless asked, for example. Also, lots of Europeans don't like American-style/Disney-style service. They actually complain about the "fakeness" of American service. This is actually something I love about DLP. If a Cast Member looks like they're enjoying themselves, they really are, it's not fake. :)

Precisely, so why build the attraction in Paris in the first place. Either way, personally. I prefer the customer service in the American parks. So therefore we differ.

jacoaster said:
Two reasons for that: 1) the park hasn't developed enough yet to fill any "empty" spaces, and 2) Disney parks are not about rides, they about stories and immersive theming. The areas that you mentioned are, despite lack of attractions, very well themed an immersive. :wink:

I didn't say it wasn't very well themed and immersive... I said it was beautiful in fact. I was just pointing out why I thought Marc had put about the empty space.

jacoaster said:
Hollywood Studios was cramped and in my opinion Tower Of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, though fun, were not as good as their Parisian counterparts. It wasn't a welcoming park at all.

I will give you that it is a little cramped (very much like the Studios in Paris, with its dead ends and complete lack of anything that can be considered and atmosphere) Studio parks in general tend to all feel the same to me.
Tower of Terror, though, absolutely, 100% pisses all over the Paris version. Without a doubt in my mind. It is the best of the three Twilight Zone towers. The way in which the building is placed on the hill with the queue meandering upto the building is a much better lead in then it being just plonked in the park which it is Paris and California.
Rock N Roller, much of a muchness. Although again, the preshow sections are a much better lead in for the Florida version. I appreciate that the "story" was altered vastly for the fact it was to deal with Europeans having several different languages, but even still, I much prefered the whole lead in during the Florida version.

Pirates, again, we differ. I thought the California version was much better throughout the dungeon queuing and general upkeep of the ride and its animatronics themeselves.

jacoaster said:
The weather in Florida is dreadful.
That is hardly anything that Disney can control though is it and therefore is a totally null point. Plus, I've never had anything but wonderful sunshine and minor afternoon rainshowers every time I have been to Orlando. The said rainshowers last of all of 15 minutes and then 15 minutes after that the sun is back and you would never have believed it rained. Whereas in Paris, I have had only 1 day of sunshine in the 3 multi day trips I have made. The rest of the time it has absolutely pissed it down with rain. Nevertheless, the weather is a mute point as I say. As it is something neither destination can control.

The spread out layout of Orlando is done for a reason though. They want to ensure that, where ever possible, you are unable to see any of the other Disney parks. Plus, like Paris, those big open spaces are also earmarked for further development.

Anywho, either way, we clearly differences in what we look for in terms of the Disney experience and that we have varying degrees of what we have already experienced. I find that California and Orlando, as an overall, are both better then Paris. Each of them have their things that are better and worse, but as an overall, I would much rather visit California and Orlando then Paris anyday.

As a side note, you mention, guests in Florida being rude. Again, I have never really found this and when I have I tend to find that the rude people are actually Brits. Whereas in Paris I have found, on several occasions that people have a complete reluctance to queue like civilised human beings and then when you ask them to stop jumping the line, or try to stop them, they get aggresive. Again, varying experiences, I think.

marc

CF Legend
I dont like MGM for the reasons you have stated, but Tower of Terror is the best one by far I think 99% of people would say that. It my worst park in Orlando, but then I dont like the movie park in DLP either.

When I went 2 years ago all the parks seemed fine to me, there were no broken down rides and the park looked today and kept in good shape.

I know that Disney is not about rides, but the areas I found empty are not well themed. The theming is no better than Hansa park.

Haunted Mansion is the best themed out side though.

Pirates in Paris is also the worst one, the water smells half the things did not work on my last visit. California is the best one.

You must have gone at a bad time to Orlando, Paris I have been 5 times and had rain 4 times. Orlando is known for its weather, its hot and sunny as I said you must have been every unlucky.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Mark said:
Precisely, so why build the attraction in Paris in the first place. Either way, personally. I prefer the customer service in the American parks. So therefore we differ.
They built it there because it is easy to access from all over Europe. They couldn't have picked a better spot in Europe really. All you need to do is accept the cultural differences.

Mark said:
Tower of Terror, though, absolutely, 100% pisses all over the Paris version.
Wow, talk about bias. :wink: I prefer the Paris version because I felt the atmosphere was better. The sound effects and music were much clearer and more thorough throughout the attraction. I don't like the 5th Dimension scene of the Florida version. That's what let it down most of all for me. The drop sequeunce is consistantly of a good quality in Paris too. Even the Imagineers think the Paris/California version are better.

Mark said:
Rock N Roller, much of a muchness. Although again, the preshow sections are a much better lead in for the Florida version. I appreciate that the "story" was altered vastly for the fact it was to deal with Europeans having several different languages, but even still, I much prefered the whole lead in during the Florida version.
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (Paris) is my favourite Disney attraction ever. Although the exterior is defnitely better in Florida, everything on the inside was much better in Paris for me. The lightshow, when working properly, is phenomenal. It was what sparked my interest in Disney theme parks. :)

Mark said:
Pirates, again, we differ. I thought the California version was much better throughout the dungeon queuing and general upkeep of the ride and its animatronics themeselves.
I was talking about the Florida version. :wink:

Mark said:
That is hardly anything that Disney can control though is it and therefore is a totally null point.
Yes, but it is something that prevents me from going to Florida. When I was there, the weather was either blistering hot or pouring down with rain. Not to mention the occasional mini hurricane! You have to pick the exact right time of year to get good weather. At least in Paris you're never going to get burnt to death or get blown away in hurricane.

Mark said:
The spread out layout of Orlando is done for a reason though. They want to ensure that, where ever possible, you are unable to see any of the other Disney parks. Plus, like Paris, those big open spaces are also earmarked for further development.
It's very unhelpful though. You can't exactly park-hop in Florida, and everything is not in walking distance of each other.

marc said:
I know that Disney is not about rides, but the areas I found empty are not well themed. The theming is no better than Hansa park.
They are themed just as well as any other area of the park. It probably is just the lack of attractions that makes you think this. Between BTM and Indy there are tons of rocks, vegetation, waterfalls, restaurants, boutiques. Even the smallest details like lamposts and fences are themed specifically for their environment.

marc said:
Pirates in Paris is also the worst one, the water smells half the things did not work on my last visit. California is the best one.
I actually love the smell of the water, as do most other people. On a another forum I visit it was actually voted the "best smell" of the resort. :p Maintenance has improved on Pirates since you last went probably. Recently DLP have started up a new maintenance department whose job it is to go round the park every morning and document things which are broken/unclean etc. They're doing a very good job, and slowly DLP is becoming much better in this area.

As I said in one of my previous posts, it is just a common stereotype that DLP is bad, and somewhat of a lesser quality than the other Disney parks. A lot people can't seem to look around this and actually try not to enjoy their holiday when they go there.

EDIT: I'd just like to add that I did thoroughly enjoy my holiday to Florida and WDW (it probably isn't coming across that way!), I just thought it was very overrated. :wink:

Mark

Strata Poster
My thoughts of the Orlando ToT is not bias at all. I just honestly prefer the Orlando version and think it is much better then the one in Paris. My personal choice.

jacoaster said:
As I said in one of my previous posts, it is just a common stereotype that DLP is bad, and somewhat of a lesser quality than the other Disney parks. A lot people can't seem to look around this and actually try not to enjoy their holiday when they go there.

I think Paris does have a lot going for it. It really does, BUT I still stand by my opinion that it doesn't compare to the USA counterparts. Christ, I went to DLP for my Birthday last year and yes, I absolutely loved it. Why would I go there for my birthday and trynot to enjoy it. I've also spent a weekend there during the Christmas period and absolutely loved it. I am not disputing that. I am merely pointing out that I much prefer and think that overall things are much better in the USA parks.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
^Okay, well although I still don't see how Florida is better than Paris, I'm happy to leave it at that. :)

I'm actually going to DLP in 30 hours time, so I'm trying my best not to get in a bad mood before then. :p

marc

CF Legend
^have a good time :).

Honest I think DLP is a nice park, as I said its getting better.

I know it looks like I am totally down on the place, I am not. Some of the things there are the best. I was simply pointing out the parts I dont like.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Actually, I found the staff very pleasant in the Disneyland Paris Parc. In the Studios however, there are a couple of rides where the staff are as rude as sin. In fact, I think some of them were complete w*nkers.

But that aside, I want to touch on the food. It is TERRIBLE and OVER PRICED. Errrr, it's no wonder why food sales are down by 30%. Oh what will they do? I know, bump up the price, again.

Thats where Paris has it wrong, theres no value whatsoever. Yes, the hotels are cheap, but you get anal raped with food and merchandise.

marc

CF Legend
I have a theory as to why the food and stuff is expensive.

They let kids in for free so in order to recover the cost they charge more for food, drink and merchandise.

Mark

Strata Poster
jacoaster said:
^Okay, well although I still don't see how Florida is better than Paris, I'm happy to leave it at that. :)

I'm actually going to DLP in 30 hours time, so I'm trying my best not to get in a bad mood before then. :p

Have a good time. Hope the weather remains like it has done today (at least in the south that is) Nice and sunny.

And Erol. I totally agree with you. The food is ridiculous. And not always of a wonderful quality either. It is a shame really. Being in France, you expect amazing food lol.