What's new

Disney or Universal?

Disney or Universal?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but I'd be interested to know where you guys' preferences lie with regards to arguably the two most major theme park operators in the world; Disney and Universal.

I know of many who prefer Disney because of the magic that their parks provide. Also, many believe that Disney's themed environments are considerably more immersive than Universal's, and they use physical theming and animatronics as opposed to Universal's screens. Disney are also said by some to cut corners less than Universal does, never missing out the minor details. However, they do seem to primarily aim at younger families, which does make them less desirable in some people's eyes.

However, I know of many others who prefer Universal because they have a wider appeal than Disney's parks do; some Universal parks have coasters as thrilling as those you would find in a Six Flags park, but they also tend to have gentler rides to satisfy guests who don't want to go on something huge or nauseating. Universal has also made stunning themed environments such as the Harry Potter lands and Volcano Bay, as well as stunning dark rides like Spider-Man, Transformers, Kong and the Harry Potter dark rides. However, many have leaned away from them due to their use of screens, and some believe that Universal's projects are not executed with the level of finesse that Disney's are.

So, which category do you guys fall into? Or are you undecided, like me?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Universal, hands down. Nobody does it like Universal. It's a cliché to use the term 'magical', but whatever that means, Universal has it more than anywhere else. Well, it does for me anyway.
I still have the Orlando resort as my overall number 1 theme park despite not having been there in over 10 years.
Disney on the other hand, nah, not my bag. If I was to rank my top 20 favourite theme parks I don't think a Disney park would make the list.

Matt N

CF Legend
If I had a choice to where i'm spending a day in Orlando, I'm spending it with some beautiful Floater on Mako.
In terms of roller coasters, I'd definitely agree that Mako is the best roller coaster in Florida, but IOA is currently my favourite Florida park, and Universal's new developments do interest me a little more than Disney's do, so that does make me lean slightly more towards Universal, but I'm remaining undecided because the only Disney parks I've done since becoming an enthusiast are Animal Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon. I'll have to return to this thread in April after experiencing the rest of WDW!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
If I had a choice to where i'm spending a day in Orlando, I'm spending it with some beautiful Floater on Mako.
Yeah the thing is that while Mako is really good, the rest of the park is a bit poo. I'd rather spend a day at Epcot or Animal Kingdom and stay interested in a plethora of different things instead of wandering around Seaworld.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Depends on the region for me.

Based only on the Asian ones, Universal edges it.
They've just got the amazing coasters that Disney can't quite compete with.

American Universals don't currently interest me at all. Would probably take any Disney over those.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but having now visited both companies' Florida resorts, my vote goes to Universal. Disney has many good parts, but the type of product that Universal offers simply appeals to me more.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I visited Disney as a kid, and both Universal theme parks last Spring. Islands of Adventure alone is one of my favorite amusement parks of all time, easily in my top 10 up there with places like Knoebels, Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island and Cedar Point. However, Universal Studios Florida left much to be desired. Diagon Alley is fantastic and narrowly beat Hogsmeade for my favorite themed land in Universal Orlando, but the rest of the park isn't up to that incredible standard. On the other hand, Hollywood Studios was my favorite park out of the entire Disney resort as a young one; most of my favorite things to do there have since been removed, unfortunately. Magic Kingdom is timeless as always, EPCOT is my current favorite Disney park, and Animal Kingdom has Dinosaur and Expedition Everest - two well-themed, thrilling E-Ticket rides. Put simply, I prefer Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World - but I haven't been to any other Disney/Universal parks, though.