What's new

Destino - Disney's Dali film

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I looked around & couldn't find anything on CF about this, so I thought I would put it out here to see everyone's reaction.
With all the Disney fans on CF, I was wondering how many know of this collaboration between Salvador Dali & Walt.
Some 68 years ago Disney asked Dali to draw an animated film which would be an embodiment of the idea of surrealism, but the project was cancelled after Dali spent 8 months in 1945-1946 compiling the storyboards & an 18 second animation was made. Walt Disney Studios suffered financial difficulties during the World War II era & the project wasn't considered viable. In 1999, during the making of Fantasia 2000, Roy Disney unearthed the project & decided to finish it. The production was completed in 2003 & I got to see it at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC in 2008.

Here it is in case you haven't seen it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ekBkF2OXI[/youtube]
So what do you think? Is it too "out there" for Disney? Should Disney have kept it under wraps? Did Dali sell out? Did Disney ruin it by completing the film after Walt & Dali's death?
I love Dali & am so glad that Disney finally released the film for all to see. In fact, it's my favorite "Dali" animation & my favorite Disney short. It's definitely very different for Disney, but I don't think it's anywhere near as surreal as most of Dali's other animations. That being said, I don't feel that Dali made too much of a compromise to his ideals in agreeing to do the project. I also like that Walt was open to doing a project like this & actually came up with the proposal. I think it's a shame that it was left under wraps & incomplete for so long & would have loved to see what Walt would have done with it.

Jer

Strata Poster
Dali is my favorite artist, so I found this to just be extraordinary. I'm not mad at Disney for finishing it, if they didn't I would never have been able to see it. It's not like they changed anything about, the unmistakeable Dali look is still there. So I'm glad the preserved his style rather than re-doing it completely like Disney.

Incredible artwork, and an amazing film at that. Thank you for showing me this.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I knew they collaborated for Fantasia and things and I had heard of this some time ago but never actually saw it until now. It's amazing!

kimahri

CF Legend
It was cool for what it was but I'm not much of a fan of Dali. I like his elephants (<3 elephants, they be cute) but that's about it. Not that much of a fan of surrealist art actually, nor abstract actually... Kandinsky is about it due to REZ.