What's new

Desert Island Discs

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You are to be castaway on a desert island and you can take with you 8 pieces of music(that's tracks, not albums), 1 book and 1 luxury item. The rules on this are strict - if you narrow it down to 9 pieces of music then don't hit that post button, same as if you think of two luxury items - 8 music, 1 book, 1 item.

Note - There is a working CD player and a magical tree which grows batteries.

Music
(in no particular order)
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Island - Pendulum
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
Mo Money Mo Problems - Notorious BIG
Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas
Cafe Del Mar - Energy 52

Book
The Lord of the Rings - One of the only books i can read over and over again. The other being the Harry Potter series but don't think I can get away with 7 books.

Luxury Item
Samurai Sword - need a knife of some sorts and if pirates come to steal my CD player they'll think twice after seeing me wield this bad boy.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Music:
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Money - Pink Floyd
Pigs (three different ones) - Pink Floyd
Finally Free - Dream Theater
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Firth of Fifth - Genesis
Man in The Box - Alice In Chains

Book:
Book of facts

Luxury Item:
My man chair

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Music
Let it Be - The Beatles
Hey Jude - The Beatles
Day in the Life - The Beatles
Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd
Pompeii - Bastille
Waiting All Night - Rudimental
Wake me up - Avicii
Wish it could be Christmas Everyday - Wizzard

A collection of songs I love, motivational songs and one for if we're there in the 25th Dec.

Book
The Silly Little book of Knock Knock Jokes...just to annoy everyone I'm with ;)

Luxury Item
A camera

I could be soppy and say 'a picture of my family', but I don't want that so I won't.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
DelPiero said:
Jordanovichy said:
Luxury Item
A camera
This is interesting, what would you take pictures of?

The desert island of course, assuming it looks like this:

desertislands.jpg

Instead of like this:

18933712.jpg

Having said that how would the bottom one be possible assuming it's uninhabited... :p

To be fair I like taking photos. I'd take photos of my friends on the island for future memories...I'm taking this more like a holiday than being trapped on an desert island aren't I...? XD

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmm... I can't imagine a life without it, so I'll agree with Dan and:

1. Comfortably numb - Pink Floyd.
2. When the levee breaks - Led Zeppelin. It's tough to pick a single track, but I think this is their boldest, yet still sums up everything they ever did.
3. The pain that I am used to - Depeche Mode. Another difficult one with so many fantastic tracks, but it's a long track with some interesting changes that make it stand out and difficult to tire of.
4. Love is blindness - Jack White. Cover of the U2 song; utterly, mind blowingly fantastic.
5. All along the watchtower - Jimi Hendrix. I'm not a huge Hendrix fan, but I can't get enough of this track.
6. Venus in furs - Velvet Underground. One of my favourite ever tracks. The rest of VU I'm not keen on, but Venus in Furs is sublime.
7. Watching me fall - The Cure. Decent length and the miserableness of the track always makes me smile :)
8. Paekakariki Beach - New Model Army. Probably. Though "Someone like Jesus" off the same album and "Orange tree roads" are both brilliant tracks too.

Hmmmm... No room for Precious Things by Tori Amos :(

Book:
Imajica by Clive Barker. My signed copy is severely dog eared from being read annually anyway - so it's a natural choice. Superb mix of fantasy, horror and contemporary story - can't be beaten. IT by Stephen King is a close second though.

Luxury Item:
Probably a still for making rum :)

Belfast Conor

Roller Poster
With or without you U2

Theme to Jurassic park

Beech boys wouldn't it be nice

Only our rivers run free. The Irish bridge ( for my inner rebel)

Bat out of hell meat loaf

Ride on Christy Moore

Let it be Beatles

Abba megamix

Book: Harry potter series (it's all one story)

Luxury item

Golf clubs and unlimited balls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Belfast Conor said:
Book: Harry potter series (it's all one story)
No chance, once they bring out one big book with each year in you can have them all :)
Belfast Conor said:
Luxury item
Golf clubs and unlimited balls
You could have a golf set, but the balls would have to fit in the bag. Or just have unlimited balls, and whittle a club from a nearby tree.

nealbie

CF Legend
Music
The Eve of War - Jeff Wayne
Horsell Common - Jeff Wayne
Foundations of Stone - Howard Shore
Ride of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner
Pomp and Circumstance - Sir Edward Elgar
Chevaliers de Sangreal - Hans Zimmer
Madame du Pompadour - Murray Gold
Doomsday - Murray Gold

Book
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. A cliché choice, but it's BLOODY GOOD!! Would make a paper aeroplane out of The Taming of the Shrew though, such turd. And don't tell me I can't have it, because it exists as one volume despite being several pieces, like you chose LotR ;)

Luxury Item
One of those battery powered sportscars that you can find at Toys R Us, obviously one suitable for use on sand.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
nealbie said:
Book
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. A cliché choice, but it's BLOODY GOOD!! Would make a paper aeroplane out of The Taming of the Shrew though, such turd. And don't tell me I can't have it, because it exists as one volume despite being several pieces, like you chose LotR ;)
That's fine as it's in one volume, as is LotR
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/721a/
Not heard of any of your music though, will check them out.

nealbie

CF Legend
You'll have at least heard Valkyries before (and probably Eve of War), even if you didn't know its name. It's all soundtrack/classical.

And I know you can get LotR in one volume (I own a copy), it is still 6 "books" though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tom: my Europa park video has a version of Ride of the Valkyries on it. Look on my YouTube channel for Die Live - but on a PC. It's the second half of the video.

Neal, I love those early tracks on War if the Worlds - but my fave is actually "Spirit of man".

I think you're on the right track with the classical/soundtrack stuff and I did consider it as you get longer pieces and they tend to be much more interesting to listen too time and time again - so you're less likely to get bored with them. I like to have a sing along to myself though; particularly while drunk on rum :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, I like a good sing along too... But it's ok, one can never tire of "the chances of anything coming from Mars" :lol:

Was tempted to drop Elgar for November Rain by GnR though, that said.

I prefer Thunderchild to Spirit of Man, but let's face it, it's alllllll good.

Belfast Conor

Roller Poster
Alright love the tightness of the rules.

Just balls I'll make the clubs and bats from trees

Book:
Allowing lord of the rings and not Harry potter is harsh but it's cool. :)

So my book would be Bill Bryson notes from the big island. Or any Bryson would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Hmm good topic but so, so hard to choose

1. Muse - Recess - the b-side (remember those days) to the first Muse song I ever bought in 2000 and it's still my favorite song of all time. That base! It just keeps on coming.

2. Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes (live at Glasto) - tough choice for a second Muse track (which there has to be), but this live version is so full of energy and would be hugely uplifting while you were waiting to be rescued

3. David Bowie - Rebel Rebel - so much joy :) Hot tramp, I love you so, duh, duh duh... Imaging dancing round the palm trees and making fake hair out of palm fronds

4. Maximo Park - Questing, Not Coasting - pretty much anything MP create is a joy to my ears. Hard to choose between this and The Undercurrents, or in fact Limassol, but I love the poetry of the lyrics

5. Splendid - Charge - American rocky ballad that reminds me of being a teenager. Plus Angie Hart's voice is super sexy. 'Confusion is a definite direction' is one of my favourite song lyrics (along with 'I'm a treacherous, leperous, cheapskate cheesecake *looks at Nic*)

6. The Cooper Temple Clause - Who Needs Enemies? Rediscovered this recently. Time for some epicness and shouty times for when you get fed up with being trapped on an island

7. Mansun - Special/Blown It. (tough decision between this and Suede's 20 minute masterpiece Asphalt World - both are ridiculous over the top, guitar heavy, self-indulgence)

8. Elbow - Grounds for Divorce - very hard decision between that and The Bones of You. Again, I love the poetry of this band but I think GfD's stonking melody gives greater room for repeat listens.

Bugger, 8 is harsh. No room for Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye or Radiohead's Black Star or Aimee Mann's Little Bombs? What would I listen to when I'm sad? Or what about Queen's Don't stop me now or Savage Garden's Crash and Burn or Pulp's Mis-shapes for sing-along happy times. It's no good, this is just too epically hard!

The book is much easier: The Behindlings by Nicola Barker. It's well-loved on my shelf and I can't read it without needing to just walk and walk, so it'd help me to exercise. Trying to explain the plot of any Nicola Barker novel is very hard. In this one there's the ultimate anti-hero, a guy who accidentally kill's his brother as a child by trapping him in a fridge and hated himself enough to have an owl eat his own fingers. He gets reunited with his daughter and her pet reindeer while trying to avoid his 'behindlings', a bunch of stalkers/disciples who follow him round the country and share his wearabouts as his fame grows through the curious incident of the chocolate company's competition and the tragic accident.... Her characters are juicy and multi-dimensional and her writing style is sometimes more poetry than prose. I love the way the landscape (usually local places like Canvey Island) are almost an extra character too.

Luxury item: can I pick a living thing? If so, my dog Saffie. If not, it'd have to be paper and pen. Or just paper if that's all that I'm allowed and I'd burn wood for charcoal. Then I could draw and keep a journal.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Wuthering Heights: Kate Bush - Absolute genius song and my all-time favourite

2. Like a Prayer: Madonna - One of the best pop songs ever created

3. Cornflake Girl: Tori Amos - Sooooooo many of hers that I could choose, but this one's still a favourite

4. The Jump Off: Lil' Kim - I just love this track sooooooo much

5. Danse Macabre: Camille Saint Saens - Probably my favourite piece of classical music

6. La Vie En Rose: Grace Jones - One of the best cover versions ever

7. L'Accordianiste: Edith Piaf - It was toss up between this and Non, Je ne Regrette Rien, but that's just a bit too short really

8. Tightrope: Jannelle Monae - Need something else to dance to apart from The Jump Off

Book: The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's not my favourite, but it's up there and is really long, which I think has to be considered if you're going to get stuck with it for a long time.

Luxury Item: A huge barrel of Factor 50, assuming this desert island is the typical, cliched one we all imagine it to be.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
gavin said:
Danse Macabre: Camille Saint Saens - Probably my favourite piece of classical music
I nearly put this is in my list, but couldn't find room. Such a fantastic piece of music.

gavin said:
La Vie En Rose: Grace Jones - One of the best cover versions ever
Wow, that sounds like something I need to check out. I'm not that familiar with her music, only through my Dad strangely enough (Slave To The Rhythm is pure genius though and a contender for this). I can't imagine her tackling Piaf!