What's new

Death at Schlitterbahn in KC, Verrückt to be torn down (page 2)

Sandman

Giga Poster
Hopefully this wholly unavoidable incident will mark a huge change in procedure both in the planning and execution of ride safety design. As others have mentioned, the fact this slipped through the cracks without any external scrutiny is absolutely horrifying. The fact this ride operated for longer than a day is also severely worrying.

spicy

Giga Poster
So the guy in charge has been arrested without bail and his charge has been bumped up 2nd-degree murder.
https://www.wycocourtks.org/uploads/4/4/1/2/4412070/indictment.pdf

Reading that PDF is literally gobsmacking.

The list of serious injuries on page 19.. The term death trap can be used out of context but this really was one! The worst thing of all it appears the owners knew and just turned a blind eye and even covered it up. Unbelievable.

I hope they get what they deserve.

davidm

Strata Poster
Well they got their 'World's Most Extreme Waterparks' strapline then... :(
with a deadly weapon, to wit; Verrückt waterslide
Interesting that there are separate charges all related to several of the previous incidents that happened (framed in terms of battery / endangerment).
Good I reckon - throw the book at them, its a shocking situation.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I couldn’t stop reading that PDF file, whole situation is just ludicrous and all the covering up is shocking. The thing that got me is just the sheer carelessness and god awful maintenance of the thing, looking back at pictures and videos now is especially eerie now knowing the entire thing was just one big bodge, from slide itself to the restraints and dingy’s.

Another shocking thing is that there’s a video of the incident that they refer to in court. One of those videos you know you shouldn’t, but probably couldn’t resist watching given the chance. Also seems a lot of offride footage has been removed from YouTube, can’t find any!

Also kinda makes me think about Twin Peaks water slide at Caneva world! You get some SERIOUS airtime on that slide.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I’ve always wondered how quickly this ride actually managed to go at times, the limited offride footage doesn’t help but I found this video which shows just how crazy the airtime could be, most videos show the ride relying on the water jets to push it over the second hill but here you can see it well. Really gives some perspective on how many factors altered the individual ride experiences and just how easily it could have gone wrong in the years it operated ‘successfully’. Even manage to catch it slamming into the concrete wall at the end of the catch pool and described numerous times in the court files. Quite shocking really.