What's new

Deadspot appreciation

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
One of the biggest cristisms I hear about coasters, even good ones are that parts are 'dead spots' or 'boring' or 'a bit slow in XYZ area' but for me I quite like 'breathers' between elements, it's like watching good film or play - the slower moments in story telling make you appreciate the action!

So for you does a coaster need to be relentless beginning to end (well after the lift hill) or do you like a variety in change of pace and intensity?

I also quite like the little moments you can appreciate the view on some coasters..... like a fast monorail!

An example of a favourite 'dead spot' of mine is probably the outside section of Fluch von Novgorod, yeah its not very forceful, but its kind of 'fresh' helixing around with the wind in your hair before heading back inside.

what's your favourite 'forceless' moment on a coaster - NOT including a lift hill or a dark ride element?

toofpikk

Mega Poster
silverstar mcbr - giddy moment to see if the trims are on or off, and sort of cuts the actually good bit of the ride in half nicely without affecting the intensity or flow too much (assuming trims are off, if they are on then booooo)

hang time on icons immelman thingy - just sort of stop upside down for a moment - actually, cut that, all of blackpool. complete deadspot but lovable for all the wrong (but oh, so right) reasons.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Saw's MCBR before the dive loop is great. You glide through it super quick, and it's the perfect respite before the insane snappiness of the finale.

I also like Taron's little s-curves before the second launch. Taron is of course a monster with all its elements, but that one moment of doing something, but in a very chilled out way, makes it a perfect way to break up the ride just enough.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I enjoyed how Space Mountain in Paris used projections to distract riders from the sneaky second lift hill. It gives a brief moment of stillness before the ride continues.

Also will second JoshC on Taron. Though my favourite dead spot is the part where you fly through the tunnel in the second launch, up between the wall and waterfall and are spat out high up in the open air for a bit. It's the contrast going from insane speed in narrow spaces to stillness in the wide open.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Shockwave at DMP has a fine "monorail" section giving you time to reflect on the excellent zero-g roll you have just experienced.
View attachment 4375
I like this section, it feels like you're skiing.

It's very brief but my favourite dead spot is the moment you reach the top of a Sky Rocket II and the train seems to come to a stop before the barrel roll.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I also like Taron's little s-curves before the second launch. Taron is of course a monster with all its elements, but that one moment of doing something, but in a very chilled out way, makes it a perfect way to break up the ride just enough.
+1
Also the part up high after the second launch. Nice view, not too many forces

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
The best Deadspot has to be on Superman Ride Of Steel Coasters. You get to glide along at 70 mph and contemplate why again is intamin better than b&m.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think I'm going to say the gentle turnaround on all the Batman clones. After a series of very intense elements, you finally get a breather while taking in the scenic view. All of course before diving into another series of intensity to finish the ride off. I really enjoy that moment, because it gives the riders some time to think without faltering the ride's pacing. It's a perfect break in a ride that would otherwise be nonstop intensity the whole way through.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So obvious, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it already: Steel Vengeance' mid course brake run. Oddly, when watching the POV beforehand, I thought to myself 'Hmm, looks good, but that MCBR will ruin the flow'. But it just... doesn't. In a weird way it kinda adds a little something, a moment, a brief pause to process what the f*** just happened since cresting the lift hill a few moments ago, and then you're off again into the even-more-mental second half. It's like the coaster actually says to you: 'How was that? Pretty cool huh? Oh you want more? Ok, have some of this!'