What's new

Cringe Worthy Non Coaster Enthusiast Comments you have heard

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Yeah, that’s cringey. But as I said, personal preference had a lot to do with that and I’ve gotten a lot less extreme about it as of recently. Yeah I’d love anything that I personally didn’t like to be RMCed but it’s not all about me and just isn’t feasible.

Mostly it’s just opposition to the whole viewpoint that RMC isn’t the right option because it destroys history/nostalgia. There are reasons it wouldn’t be right in several situations but that’s not one of them, that’s all I’ve been trying to say.

Don’t mean for this to drag off topic so in that interest, if you want to know anything more about this or have any criticism, PM me here or on Facebook. I’m on a trip now so I might not be the most responsive but I’ll gladly clear anything up. I know I have this reputation as some negative nelly but trust me when I say I’m just a dork that has fun riding like the rest of you. But I promise anyone who actually takes the time to hit me up and judge me on that and not a few trivial posts on a coaster forum will have a completely different outlook on me.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I mean.. you COULD just be social. I've talked to plenty of ride ops over the years just being social. I am in the extreme minority when it comes to that feeling along with Gavin. I can talk to anyone, anywhere, about anything and walking up to people isn't an issue just to have a chat while most enthusiasts out there are the opposite.

It helps I'm a beautiful man as well. :p
Envious of that beautiful man thing, for sure.

But the thing about a park/coaster T-shirt is that it attracts friendly fellow enthusiasts like a magnet. I’m always having conversations with fellow enthusiasts, learning their favorites, their tips, their stories, etc. All because they just approach me when they see the shirt and ask an enthusiast-feeler question like “So is that your home park?” (Wearing coaster shirts from far away actually accelerates this.) Sure, I could just chat with anyone in line, and when I feel like it I do, but that wouldn’t have me meeting and talking to fellow enthusiasts all day long, which almost always happens when I wear a coaster shirt.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I’m just a dork that has fun riding like the rest of you.
Basically, this. We're all just people talking about rides and parks and OMGSTEEEEEELVEGGIEZ and WHUTZ IN DA SHED. I don't think any of us should really be getting worked up about any of this. And I actually can uh, respect you for standing up for your feelings such for rides... I know with its like to have questionable tastes in rides/coasters. Much like the "least common" topic.. I'm probably the only person in the fandom that had this *gem* in their top 10... Even in the last 10 years or so - https://rcdb.com/416.htm <3 <3 <3
And I still have this one in there! https://rcdb.com/460.htm

And as always... Your favorite coaster sucks.

by CanobieFan, on Flickr

by CanobieFan, on Flickr​

Error

Strata Poster
Especially when its a park not even close to where youre visiting. Don't be a douchebag. Dress like an adult.
My biggest thing I dislike about seeing enthusiasts wearing shirts from different parks is that it is never, ever because they're just a fan. If they were just a fan, they could wear anything and their enthusiasm alone would be enough. I've noticed a common thing been said a few times in here along the line of "coaster shirts from different parks always start conversions."
That's my problem there. You're not wearing a shirt because of a passion. You're wearing a shirt to get attention.
You want people to ask you about all the parks you've been to, what coaster you did there, what you thought of this and that. You NEED that attention. You DESIRE it. I've never heard "Oh, I just really enjoyed the design of this shirt, and it just so happens to have a coaster on it." They're loud, obnoxious, and hideous. Attention seeking designs, for attention seeking people. And I hate it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
My biggest thing I dislike about seeing enthusiasts wearing shirts from different parks is that it is never, ever because they're just a fan. If they were just a fan, they could wear anything and their enthusiasm alone would be enough. I've noticed a common thing been said a few times in here along the line of "coaster shirts from different parks always start conversions."
That's my problem there. You're not wearing a shirt because of a passion. You're wearing a shirt to get attention.
You want people to ask you about all the parks you've been to, what coaster you did there, what you thought of this and that. You NEED that attention. You DESIRE it. I've never heard "Oh, I just really enjoyed the design of this shirt, and it just so happens to have a coaster on it." They're loud, obnoxious, and hideous. Attention seeking designs, for attention seeking people. And I hate it.
I disagree with this really. If I'm buying a shirt it's usually as a memento of either the park or a ride which stood out for me, and nowadays I'll only get a shirt if it's subtle, not the in your face ones (although I do have a few from years back) and something I could easily wear out normally without attracting loads of attention. This change in approach has been since I've gotten older though so a lot of younger folk probably do it for the attention, at least for the time being.

Matt N

CF Legend
Would you guys call a black Icon t-shirt or one of the 4x the Fury t-shirts from SeaWorld Orlando "in-your-face", as I certainly never try and attract attention by wearing park t-shirts. In fact, I'd be a little taken aback if someone randomly came up to me and asked me geeky questions! My Icon shirt was actually covered up by my coat for most of the day at Alton Towers on Saturday, so I personally wouldn't say I wear theme park shirts to attract attention! Someone else might think differently, but I wouldn't say I do.

I'd also say that I don't often buy park/coaster shirts unless I particularly like the design or if they're quite subtle (i.e. you have to properly look at them to know that they're a park shirt). I don't know if I'm alone here, but it would seem I'm in a minority who actually like/wear the park shirts. I currently only have 1 park shirt that fits me, and that's fine by me, because most of the time, I don't wear park shirts to theme parks. It's only on occasion. I'm someone who's always liked wearing things that are quite subtle, so I certainly don't crave attention because of my park shirts.

Furthermore, I'd also say that I wouldn't willingly bother other enthusiasts or any non-enthusiasts at a park. The only non-enthusiasts who I'll ever tell coaster facts to are my family, because they know very well that I'm an enthusiast, and they never seem to mind that much. Sometimes, they even ask me facts about the ride that we're queueing for, such as "How tall is the Big One?" or "How fast is the Grand National?", for example. The only time I'd ever say I'd willingly talk about coasters to someone who wasn't a family member or over the internet is if I ever went to an enthusiast meet up. That might also be in part down to the fact that I'm quite introverted around people I don't know, but I would certainly never go up to someone I don't know and randomly talk about coasters to them.

Sorry for the long, off-topic post about my enthusiasm and the fact I don't want to attract attention, but I personally felt like it would be an interesting thing to add to the discussion.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Sorry for the long, off-topic post about my enthusiasm and the fact I don't want to attract attention, but I personally felt like it would be an interesting thing to add to the discussion.
giphy.gif

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Honestly Matt, just say the things you think without overly justifying it or apologising. You seem like a nice guy so there's little chance of bordering into ATI territory and getting slated if that's what you're worried about.

As long as you can back yourself up and explain your opinions cohesively (which you do, your writing style is very detailed and thorough) then you should never apologise for them even if they go against the grain.

Snoo

The Legend
I cannot believe how long we've been discussing the merits/douche-dom of wearing park shirts...

Well, some aren't fans as they consider it cringy while others do not. That's what discussions are about boss man. How do YOU feel about them since your contribution to this thread has been to not talk about anything relevant to the thread? :p

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Strongly disagree with this. I feel like you're talking about a specific subset of young naive enthusiasts.

It's nice to feel part of something and be able to identify who else might want to chat about coasters at a park. I remember a guy struck up a convo with Daviddoc at in the El Toro line because of his shirt and then I did "geek spotting". I wore my loch Ness monster shirt to KD and a number of ops told me they liked it and that was cool.

I know a lot of female enthusiasts don't wear merch but I wear graphic t-shirts anyway so they fit in my wardrobe. I only buy nice ones though, no cringey tat for the sake of it.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
I wouldn't willingly bother other enthusiasts or any non-enthusiasts at a park
I can’t agree more. I have a couple of shirts which I wear occasionally but that doesn’t mean I want or expect enthusiasts to talk to me, and I sure don’t need to talk to other people with coaster shirts, enthusiast or not. I only wear em’ (inside or out of a park) for a memory or as a lower quality shirt to get dirty at a park. I don’t mind when a friendly op mentions my shirt (and it’s a bonus if they let you reride), but I don’t wear it for that reason.

Matt N

CF Legend
Honestly Matt, just say the things you think without overly justifying it or apologising. You seem like a nice guy so there's little chance of bordering into ATI territory and getting slated if that's what you're worried about.

As long as you can back yourself up and explain your opinions cohesively (which you do, your writing style is very detailed and thorough) then you should never apologise for them even if they go against the grain.
Thanks for the reassurance @Benenen!
All I can see is
, but I'll presume it's something funny as it's got 3 likes, so I'll give it a like too! Thanks @Snoo!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
If I were to speculate wildly about why enthusiasts refuse to wear enthusiast shirts, and include several assumptions about what their motivations “never, ever” are, it would be clear what a very silly post this is.

Snoo

The Legend
If I were to speculate wildly about why enthusiasts refuse to wear enthusiast shirts, and include several assumptions about what their motivations “never, ever” are, it would be clear what a very silly post this is.

I understand where you're coming from but getting to what Error said, I do see his point. There are those who blatantly like to advertise themselves just because they're just ****ty people. Most don't, as I assume a majority of the folks in this thread are like that.

However, you're assuming good intent at all times with enthusiasts, which you never should. MANY people are just that.. ****ty. Now, that hasn't been my experience most of the time and is also not the reason I wouldn't wear one but just pointing out what Error was trying to say not so elegantly.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Roller coaster experts to be found in between the second lift hill and drop of The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley:

"Does it get faster now?"
*Pointing at the only thing that could possibly be a rollercoaster drop out here in the middle of nowehere* "Is that the drop?"