What's new

Cringe Worthy Non Coaster Enthusiast Comments you have heard

Dan1989

Mega Poster
Re: Cringe Worthy Non Coaster Enthusiast Comments you have h

I'm always correcting people over xbox live about how a loop-de-loop Is a vertical loop and all other inversion have their own name. WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IF YOU GO UP-SI-DOWN YOUR DOING A BLOODY LOOP-DE-LOOP. I really am fighting a loosing battle with it though.

Snoo

The Legend

Batfastard14 said:
I told a friend about Goliath at SFGAm and Outlaw Run and how they are wooden and go upside down. He says he doesn't trust wood coasters that go upside down and said that they're probably really rough and unsafe lol. I told him that I've been on Goliath and it's one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on and he said, "That's absolute bull**it. I doubt it."

That is one thing I hate.. the stigma of all woodies are either rough or unsafe. You hear it more around Ohio because of Son of Beast and that major suckage. To be fair, we do lack woodies and 90% of the woodies are not the best coasters in the world but some of the best woodies are the best coasters in the world. :)

Smithy

Strata Poster

Dan1989 said:
I'm always correcting people over xbox live about how a loop-de-loop Is a vertical loop and all other inversion have their own name. WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IF YOU GO UP-SI-DOWN YOUR DOING A BLOODY LOOP-DE-LOOP. I really am fighting a loosing battle with it though.

Hate to be that guy, but it's 'losing'.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Snoo said:
...but some of the best woodies are the best coasters in the world. :)

Agreed. I hope RMC and GG(and maybe GCI) can help show this to people around the world. Especially the UK and some parts of Europe. The Cú Chulainn Coaster at Tayto Park is a great step forward.

spacebum

Roller Poster

Probably the old cliche that the big one is the tallest fastest coaster in the world/ Europe.

or that all of grand national burnt down. and was rebuilt out of stuff from other old wooden coasters.

the daftest is that Camelot shut down due to a family dieing in the park.

Jake

Strata Poster

Loop-de-loop.

Hoop.

I've not heard hoop-de-hoop yet but I'm sure it's a thing.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

I guy at Great Escape said that Comet is in the top 5 best wooden coasters in the world. I didn't laugh or tell him how wrong he was...I just posted it here.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

When people ask in the comments of a POV on youtube if the ride goes upside down... Like, seriously?

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
So I was on the river rapids ride at Dollywood with a bunch of random people. The lady across from me was convinced that if you spin the wheel in the middle it rotates the raft (of course, the wheel doesn’t move). I figured once she tried and found that didn’t work she would stop telling everybody, but she continued pulling on the wheel with all her strength for the rest of the ride.
It took all MY strength not to laugh at her.
Man, was she determined...

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, there are two not necessarily cringey, but funny comments which I heard at Thorpe Park in May:
  • *In the queue for Stealth* *Stealth's anti rollback dogs lower* "That is the sound of unhappiness"
  • When me and my sister were sat in Flying Fish (It was only on a 5 minute queue and I needed the cred) I heard someone say behind us "Of all the rides here themed to death & destruction, I bet the real killer will be the Flying Fish"

Last edited:

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Girl at BGT: Mommy I want to go on THAT!!! *points at Scorpion*
Mommy: Oh no, sweetie, you break your neck on those things.

Guy on SFMM Gold Rusher with his girlfriend: Did you know this was the first roller coaster ever?

Facebook, however, has taken ignorant comments to a whole new level. When Mystic Timbers was compete and KI posted pictures, the comments ranged from “If it’s like The Lightning Bolt at Dollywood it won’t work” to “it’s wood so you know it won’t be safe” to “you just took Mean Streak and moved it.” Comments on RMC conversion-related posts from parks (Twisted Cyclone’s were especially amusing) are also worth a laugh, with half of them along the lines of “all you did was add loops to [wooden coaster name]” as if it isn’t obvious that the entire layout it radically different.

And name butchering is so cringey we could almost have a whole separate thread for it. I get not being able to pronounce Rougarou or Valravn, but The Millennium Falcon, Top Fuel Dragster, The Mystic Timber, and I’ve heard much worse.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
So I was on the river rapids ride at Dollywood with a bunch of random people. The lady across from me was convinced that if you spin the wheel in the middle it rotates the raft (of course, the wheel doesn’t move). I figured once she tried and found that didn’t work she would stop telling everybody, but she continued pulling on the wheel with all her strength for the rest of the ride.
It took all MY strength not to laugh at her.
Man, was she determined...
You were just distracted by your effort not to laugh and didn’t notice the raft’s rotation.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Some says Intamin Woodie needs OTSR
As T Express&Wildfire is tallest woodie,my friend says they are highest coaster in the world
My friend says There is a coaster that goes over 300km/h

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Me standing outside of the entrance to apollos chariot
Sees little kid walking with family
Says to mom
“Mom why do think that ride is so good all it does is go up and down!”
And
Riding Alpengeist
Fellow gp/borderline enthusiast sitting next to me
I ask
“ what is your favorite part of the ride”
He says
“The double barrel roll element after the loop and the inline twist before the roll”
I go like
GP!
Sitting next to dumb little kid on twisted timbers he says when the ride is done
“Omg that rode is unsafe I lifted out of my seat unsafe!”

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Not “cringe-worthy” — more like cute:

Conversation with little kid just now on the Zippin Pippin:
—Him: Have you ever been to Mt. Olympus?
—Me: I was there yesterday.
—Yesterday?! Have you ever gone on the one there that goes, like, 360?
—Hades 360, yes.
—It goes underground.
—Yes, that’s Hades 360.
—No, this one goes underground.
—Yes, that’s called Hades 360.
—No, not that one. This one goes underground. They have *two* coasters there. [They have five.] I’ll have to ask my grandma; she’ll know.

Error

Strata Poster
As a ride host, I found enthusiasts to be far, FAR worse than the general public. The general public doesn't need, nor want to know, everything about every ride ever built. They don't care about what each element is called. They don't care about stats. They don't even know that there might be a small amusement park the next town over because they don't care.
Enthusiasts, on the other hand, want people in line to know all the different rides and places they've been to. They wear shirts from a park that's in a different state/country than the one they're currently in. They want to be asked about their knowledge, they want to play the one-up on everyone around them. Oh, I've been on 1,045 different rides! This park is just terrible because they don't invest in a giga dive invert. Who cares that they're a small, family-run amusement park. They have the space to build it! They can just tear out all the family attractions and games and whatnot. I want the old, beloved double out and back coaster turned into an RMC airtime machine! Who really cares if it's beloved by the local population. I certainly don't. They should have taken it out years ago, they'd get over it.

I might have gone overboard at a certain point, but I think my point is clear:
The general public can make all the mistakes and hyperboles they want. They just want to enjoy what they have.