What's new

Computer question

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Since there's a fair few "computer" people on here, and a **** load of teenagers..

How can I get past internet blocks on a school computer?

I've got a computer and internet access in my classroom, but a lot of sites get blocked. Not that I plan on sitting around on Facebook or anything, but youtube is one of the sites blocked and it can actually be quite useful for teaching sometimes. Last year, I was just downloading the videos at home and playing them in a seperate media player, but I can't be arsed to keep doing that any more. I just takes up too much time and effort, and I basically want to take as little work home as possible if I can help it.

Cheers!

Does 24hourproxy.com work?

There are a crapload of proxy things, but I can't remember the links to any besides that one. Our school eventually blocked all the proxy sites though, hahaa.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Yeah some sort of proxy server should work, but they're often quite awkward to find, and often slow.

If you're lucky, the filter system they use might be really primitive and only tied to Internet Explorer or something, so you could try just installing another browser and using that?

Can you not just ask the school IT people to take the filters off for you, because it's for educational purposes?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I probably will just do that. But the "IT people" consists of one person who's never in his room and is a master of making himself scarce when he's needed for anything.

kimahri

CF Legend
Martyn said:
If you're lucky, the filter system they use might be really primitive and only tied to Internet Explorer or something, so you could try just installing another browser and using that?

Hee, we used that in seniors.

And to echo some people. Just use a proxie. 7 should do. Just google proxies and you'll find a whole bunch of them.

Nic

Strata Poster
Do what I used to do.... just ask the kids how they get round it. I got a nice long list of proxies (including one actually hosted by one of the kids) which meant that even when our IT techs were trying to block them, you could just move onto another :)

Jer

Strata Poster
I have another idea, if you have a flash drive, install your own internet browser onto it, then when you get to school put your flash drive into the comp and run the browser. Since it's running off your flash and not off the computer your school cant block anything or trace it.

Martyn

Giga Poster
^Well, not really, because it has to use the network cable that's plugged into the computer to get to the Internet, and it's likely that between the computer and the Internet there's a big ugly filtering system.